Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2002 7:29:40 PM EDT
Don't miss it.  Looks like they're going to highlight modern weaponry.  They mentioned one of the H/K rifles (I think the G91? I can't remember), and that thing the US Army is testing... the one with the camera and all that crap mounted on the rifle so you can just poke it around the corner and look through it.

Showed a few clips of other weapons.  Should be a great show.

Last night, they did four different shows, all about the guns of WWII.  Started with the American, then the Japanese, Russian and ended up with German weapons.  They didn't go into as much detail as I would have liked (and COMPLETELY skipped over the G41/G43), but they were still good to see!

DAMN I love the History Channel!

Don't forget Mail Call with R Lee Ermey on Mondays at 8pm (7 central)

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean the OICW (Objective Individual Combat Weapon, I believe)?

It's not a super weapon. Just when do you think the armed forces will field a $10K computer operated weapon?
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#2]
No, not the OICW.  Maybe they will touch on it.  I'm talking about the whole solidier system.  Helmet, computer radio, and all the shit on the rifle, that all works together.  

Someone here has to remember the name of that setup.  

Oh well.

BTT
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Last night, they did four different shows, all about the guns of WWII. Started with the American, then the Japanese, Russian and ended up with German weapons
View Quote

I turned on the TV about 15 min into the Russian show and watched the rest....  They were interesting shows.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Pop quiz: According to the program, which country currently has the most sophisticated small arms weapon ?

What is that weapon called ?

What makes it so sophisticated ?

Edited to add: I forgot to mention which program; for the pop quiz the 4 episodes on the countrys weapons.
I think the program the thread is referring too is a rerun, and the gear is called Land Warrior System or some shit.There was alot of threads about it a while back.

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pop quiz: According to the program, which country currently has the most sophisticated small arms weapon ?
What is that weapon called ?
What makes it so sophisticated ?
View Quote

[whiny voice on]
No fair. Noone told me there was going to be a quiz.[/whiny voice off]
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#6]

[whiny voice on]
No fair. Noone told me there was going to be a quiz.[/whiny voice off]
[/quote]

Hence the name - Pop Quiz -

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Russian AN94.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]
The M4 with the thermal imager, video camera, telescopic microphone and headset is part of the Land Warrior system, a developmental testbed.  It's very different from the OICW.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Of course Steyr knows... but do you know where you can buy one ?

Why is it so sophisticated ?

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Because of the blowback shifted-pulse recoil suppression systme that allows two shots to be fired BEFORE any recoil is felt?
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Right, but there isn't any recoil, I want one soooooo bad. I would trade all my weapons if you can get me one.

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
BTT

Check it out

HISTORY CHANNEL ROCKS!!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The HK rifle mentioned in the commercial was the G36.  I love those things.. can't wait to build a clone from an SL8-1.

Like someone else said... its the landwarrior system, not the OICW.  I woulnd't mind a segment about the OICW though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I think they should re-name the history channel the gun network, is awesome everytime I turn on the TV and go to the history channel its about guns.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Jeez, from the thread title I presumed the show was going to be about AR15s and Mini-14s, you know, the guns that fire the deadly and sinister .223. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I enjoy their tales of the Gun series and the like, so I'll have to tune in tonight to check it out.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top