Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 7:06:52 AM EDT
I’m looking for a topic.
Please help. I searched and searched.

It is an old topic (months and months ago), which listed a number of gasoline companies and how much middle eastern oil they import. The data was from the Separtment od Energy.

The topic pertained to your buying gas from these companies would therefore support terrorism. The goal was to boycott certain companies.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the urban legend database:

[url]http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/nogas.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That email has been making the rounds again lately, but it's still a hoax.

See [url]http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/nogas.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks, I was looking for some statistical ammunition to debunk that crap.
He is what I composed.

[i]
There is so many things wrong with that email.

Let me give some insight into where we import oil from.
By far the most middle-east oil comes from Iraq and Saudi. Out of all the US importation of oil, these two countries account for about 28%. Mexico and Canada together import more oil into the US.

The listed companies that do not import any Middle east oil is only partially true. I know that Citgo, BP, and Phillips DOES import from Iraq and Saudi. Furthermore, all these companies import per their own best interests. They have no problems importing from the middle east if they need the oil to meet consumer demands (emphasis on the word CONSUMER).

Besides that point that the numbers are wrong, there are other problems:

-The companies named which in fact do not import from the middle east could never even come close to meeting our demands.
-Oil companies do not exclusively sell their oil to their own companies. Also, oil from the middle east can make its way to the US by a third party. If you want a "crude" (ha ha) analogy: consider a McDonalds hamburger. The notion that one farmer supplied a portion of a cow for the burger is ludicrous. In fact, that ONE burger may contain beef from as many as 500 different cows and Mickey D's buys beef like the US consumes OIL.

Remember this: This is America: If you want it, you will get it. No matter where in the hell it comes from. You would make a bigger difference if everyone used LESS oil. Although, if we start importing LESS, Japan or another country will start importing MORE from the middle east (and the terrorists will still have their cash). This of course makes an assumption; that middle east oil profits directly support terrorism. There is no doubt that the money gets their somehow but, after all, it is our oil interests, not the presence of money, that pissed off those stupid Muslims anyway.
You want to prevent terrorism? Beat the crap outta the middle-eastern gas-station attendant. (I'm kidding). Boycotting the station itself will do nothing.

-Boom [/i]
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Why should we use less oil or boycot local business?

I do think we should reduce imports, however, in order that we can avoid the continued support of the fat cats running OPEC.

How, you ask? The American way!

American farmers have been having a difficult time making it and as a result receive substantial government subsidies/tax breaks. We can make gasoline out of corn- Ethanol sometimes referred to as Gasohol.

In one fell swoop we can reduce the dependence on foreign oil, support the American farmer and even make the environMENTALists feel better because we don't need to drill in a wildlife refuge and ethanol burns cleaner than petroleum based gasoline.

Ok,Ok, ethanol is a little more costly. But, as technology progresses, the demand and therefore the supply of ethanol grows while the supply of oil dwindles and is artificially inflated by OPEC the price differential becomes more minimal every day.

Ok you might say, how can the demand and the supply both increase? Well, with very little demand for the product so too is there very little production. Corn is a renewable resource and is relatively abundant.

Don't get me wrong, there are some difficulties with ethanol...for instance...it is much more combustible and therefore is somewhat more unsafe than gasoline. But the problems are minimal in relation to the potential payoff for all parties concerned (except those who deal in petroleum).

Anyway. Just a rant. Wish there was more support for an ethanol initiative. I say let those camel jockeys keep their oil. Fat lot of good it does you in the desert
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Would this be considered terrorism?  I am not sure how an oil boycot would affect it.
http://palestinechronicle.com/article.php?story=2002101018082933
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top