Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/17/2013 7:38:37 AM EDT
Seems like there are no really good metal guitarists coming up to replace the "Guitar Gods" who are now deceased or geriatric.  Only guy who gets mentioned is Zakk Wylde, and he isn't THAT good (IMO he relies too much on pinch harmonics, and all his stuff sounds the same). No one can match the technical skills of Vai, Satch, or Malmsteen (he's downright unlistenable when it comes to music though).  No one has the feel of EVH.  Even the marginal guys like George Lynch and Kirk Hammett aren't being replaced.  These "new" metal guys are too heavy and crunchy, not innovative, and don't have any range to their playing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Before this goes any farther, how old are you OP?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Well there's me, but I'm still undiscovered.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Not really at all..

Metalcore is better anyway, though.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#4]
There are tons of excellent metal guitarists out there. Also I agree about Zakk Wylde and his relentless pinch harmonics
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Old enough to have grown up before Nirvana wrecked everything.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are tons of excellent metal guitarists out there. Also I agree about Zakk Wylde and his relentless pinch harmonics

I don't know, there are some GOOD metal guitarists out there, but no one who is really distinctive (except Wylde, but that's not exactly a compliment).

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#8]

No strong soloing is just not trendy right now...  

What did die without replacement is SRV...

I'm in my 40s, and was around when he was, and it was awesome...

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly why you like the 80's guitar guys, then.  It's what you grew up with, what you can relate to.  You don't like the new stuff because, well, it's new.

I'm finding myself getting the same way.  I can't stand the metalcore bullshit that is attempting to take over metal today - because it isn't what I grew up with.

Personally, I don't like a single guitarist you listed in the OP.  Possible exception for Steve Vai.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Had to see if post date was 1995
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Mark Morton of Lamb of God and Adam D from Killswitch Engage would stop Zakk Wylde in his tracks.

Zakk is good, but he is no Randy Rhoads or even Jake E Lee (both previous Ozzy guitarists).

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No strong soloing is just not trendy right now...  

What did die without replacement is SRV...

I'm in my 40s, and was around when he was, and it was awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQroST3_uWw

Saw him live.  There will never be a replacement for SRV.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck no!

There are tons of awesome riffs on youtube by amateurs
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#14]
George Lynch is marginal?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mark Morton of Lamb of God and Adam D from Killswitch Engage would stop Zakk Wylde in his tracks.

Zakk is good, but he is no Randy Rhoads or even Jake E Lee (both previous Ozzy guitarists).

Guess I'm getting too old and out of my genre (as was mentioned), I find those guys unlistenable, and crappy soloists.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly why you like the 80's guitar guys, then.  It's what you grew up with, what you can relate to.  You don't like the new stuff because, well, it's new.

I'm finding myself getting the same way.  I can't stand the metalcore bullshit that is attempting to take over metal today - because it isn't what I grew up with.

Personally, I don't like a single guitarist you listed in the OP.  Possible exception for Steve Vai.

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing but my exception is Hammett instead of Vai.  I know it's still trendy to hate on Metallica but I still love em.

Wylde has his moments but overall I'm not a big fan.  

That said, they're all better than I am.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
George Lynch is marginal?

Yeah maybe "marginal" was a bad choice of words.  Just not on the level of Vai and those guys for technique or innovation.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#18]
This story about Crushing Day always cracks me up.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Rock music is dead.  

It's not that there's not people out there who can play, it's that the industry is extremely fucked up and doesn't command the money that it used to.  

Talent is irrelevant now, and marketing gimmicks are king.  

Fuck the music industry and modern music.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, they would not. You're talking out of your ass.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess I'm getting too old and out of my genre (as was mentioned), I find those guys unlistenable, and crappy soloists.

Adam D, to my knowledge, hardly ever solos in KsE songs (I haven't listened to the latest 2 or 3 albums though). Mark Morton is pretty damn good though, but not everyone can listen to Lamb of God. Solo at 3:23 if you don't want to wait..

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Synister Gates is a good guitarist but Avenged Sevenfold is terrible

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#24]
There are plenty of contemporary players that are technically excellent as well as artistically gifted.

Part of the problem is that innovation is fitful.  Breakthroughs are few and far between and then you have a period of exploring new ideas to their fullness.  Right now we're in a bit of a lull.  Much of what can be discovered has been.  It'll take some real inspiration to start the next trend in music.  I hope it's good.

The other part of the problem is that the commercial market isn't supporting music styles that lend themselves to dedicated solo licks.  Those players are stuck on Youtube for the time being.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Fuck no!

There are tons of awesome riffs on youtube by amateurs

That's the point, they are riffs, not solos.  Listen to this well integrated and awesome one and a half minute solo (starts 3:24) by Kurt Vanderhoof to hear what is lacking in today's scene.  I'm a prog metal fan now, because that's where old metal heads inevitably end up.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Having seen Yngwie Malmsteen within the past few weeks, I can tell you that cats like him have absolutely NO desire to change with the times.  His performance, while extremely fun and exhilarating, was nothing short of comical in its 80s hair band/guitar god presentation.  It was a precisely engineered machine intentionally designed to take guys like me and the OP back to our junior high years.

The point?  That that sort of schtick will always be considered a thing of the past, and that anyone who imitates Yngwie and his ilk will be considered to have made a "tribute."

Electric guitar playing is going nowhere, and I've met a lot of great players recently, but few young guys are going to want to "replace" the shredders of old.  If I were a 20-year-old metal guitarist, I would not be doing things to attract the attention of the 40+ crowd.  I'd stay away from the hairspray, eye liner and masturbatory guitar playing.  Maybe you should forget that image too, OP, and go to some clubs with an open mind to what people are playing nowadays.  You might achieve some enlightenment.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

but few young guys are going to want to "replace" the shredders of old

One of the few:

In this one, he's synching over his own studio recording.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N60dAJ7l1Y

Angel is a great player and a good dude. (I have bs'ed with him a few times online)

OP

Animals as Leaders

Periphery

Nevermore

Devin Townsend

Dream Theatre

there are TONS of great players out now - probably more now than there has ever been

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Off the top of my head -

Michael Amott

Alexi Laiho

Peter Wichers

Herman Li

Gus G

Roope Latvala

Devin Townsend

Jeff Loomis

Fredrik Thordendal - Might not be the traditional solo guitar player but you can't deny he's an innovator.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#30]
uhh OP do you live under a rock???

youtube search is your friend

example:

joe stump

jeff loomis

rusty cooley

fred brum

kelly simonz

ethan brosh

tosin abasi

old guys you may have missed

michael angelo batio (yes its his real hair)

jason becker

marty friedman

paul gilbert

vinnie moore

need anymore examples?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#31]
People make fun of the 80s hairbands, but there were some talented players in some of them.

Example:

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#32]
music, movies genres and bell bottoms don't die - the get spit back up every 20 years.

your kid will be playing a cover of your favorite band and try to convince you it's new, contemporary and they discovered it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Seems like there are no really good metal guitarists coming up to replace the "Guitar Gods" who are now deceased or geriatric.  Only guy who gets mentioned is Zakk Wylde, and he isn't THAT good (IMO he relies too much on pinch harmonics, and all his stuff sounds the same). No one can match the technical skills of Vai, Satch, or Malmsteen (he's downright unlistenable when it comes to music though).  No one has the feel of EVH.  Even the marginal guys like George Lynch and Kirk Hammett aren't being replaced.  These "new" metal guys are too heavy and crunchy, not innovative, and don't have any range to their playing.

Have you tried checking out Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) or Chris Broderick (Megadeth)? I find these guys skills beyond Malmstien, more on a Paul Gilbert level of virtuosity but both very metal.
I know where you are coming from tho, but if you search hard through all the garbage, true metal guitar is still alive and happening.
\m/ Keep the Metal Faith, Brother! \m/
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Devin Townsend mentioned in the last two posts?  Funny, that guy is over 40.

Nothing wrong with that, of course, its just that his show definitely contains some of that old school cheese.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N60dAJ7l1Y

Angel is a great player and a good dude. (I have bs'ed with him a few times online)

OP

Animals as Leaders

Periphery

Nevermore

Devin Townsend

Dream Theatre

there are TONS of great players out now - probably more now than there has ever been

I just recently heard about Angel Vivaldi, and I dig it - Universal Language is sweet, though short. I went to a guitar clinic recently with Tosin (Animals as Leaders) and he was pretty damn amazing. Hearing him talk about guitar and his approach was very interesting. He also mentioned he does not like to improv solos, just perform ones he has composed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Josh Rand and Jim Root in Stone Sour are pretty damned good in my opinion.

So are the guys in Trivium.

I am a crusty 40-something that loves the bands we grew up with, but rock is not dead.

There are good bands out there. They just don't dominate MTV and radio anymore and you have to look for them.

I was stuck in a rut listening to the old stuff but then got XM radio and started listening to the Octane channel.

I have found several new bands that I like, and am enjoying hearing new songs on the radio again.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#37]
There are plenty of newer metal bands that have great Guitarist's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#38]
You will need to go out of your way to find what you may be looking for OP.  The music industry(certainly not the US music industry), is not going to put it in your face.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Brendon Small is great.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#40]

1:54 - 2:51

Mike "Lonestar" Carrigan rapes his guitar and leaves it resonating in a ditch somewhere

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I had a huge thing typed out but my browser crashed.

That pussy hack Cobain killed that style of music. He was talentless and did the world a favor removing himself. The best thing that went through his brain was shotgun pellets.

Then all the little white kids decided they needed to act like gangster thugs and started listening to gangster rap.

There was no evolution, just a full stop crash and the start into what was called grunge. Then every emotionally unstable kid who could play 3 chords decided to make music.

When I was playing in the 1980's, I played a lot like Vai and was mistaken for him a few times. Lynch still rocks and is out blowing people away.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Hopefully Kerry King has many illegitimate boys  running around with Jacksons beside their beds.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Metal guitar became a caracature of itself by the early '90s. Lame lyrics, lamer hair, tight pants, ridiculously long solos and "guitar-riffs" with a flat 8th-note bass line. Thank god for Nirvana and their peers.

Nowadays, those who are innovating music are playing with sound modulation; where instead of just manipulating pitch and tone, they're playing with the entire fucking soundwave.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#44]
My take on the situation is this:  Electric guitar is a very young instrument in the scheme of things.  When it first started circulating in the 50s and 60s, people barely knew how to make decent equipment, let alone how to play the damn things.  People like EVH, Steve Vai, James Hetfield, etc, were the progenitors of modern techniques.  When the guys we see as guitar gods came on to the scene, they were doing things that hadn't been previously discovered.

Today, we are approaching something more akin to where classical instruments are:  Standardized techniques that have been developed with a specific pedagogy.  There just isn't that much exciting new stuff left to do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

That pussy hack Cobain killed that style of music. He was talentless and did the world a favor removing himself. The best thing that went through his brain was shotgun pellets.

Then all the little white kids decided they needed to act like gangster thugs and started listening to gangster rap.

There was no evolution, just a full stop crash and the start into what was called grunge. Then every emotionally unstable kid who could play 3 chords decided to make music.

When I was playing in the 1980's, I played a lot like Vai and was mistaken for him a few times. Lynch still rocks and is out blowing people away.

I see what you're getting at, but..

Nirvana: 1989 Bleach - 1993 In Utero

Cowboys From Hell 1990

Vulgar Display of Power 1992

Far Beyond Driven 1994

Nirvana did not kill metal

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I'll probably get crucified for this, but none of those you listed were ever all that interesting to me. It seems like the only people who listen to them are other guitar players (and I am a guitar player, FWIW). It's just fretboard masturbation, to me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see what you're getting at, but..

Nirvana: 1989 Bleach - 1993 In Utero

Cowboys From Hell 1990

Vulgar Display of Power 1992

Far Beyond Driven 1994

Nirvana did not kill metal

Cobain and his crap started it all. I worked with Pantera on the first club tour a few times. They really didn't impress me that much.

So, they were a start to the nose-dive 1980's hair bands took. I talked with Ronnie James Dio about this exact thing in 1990 in front of the music store I worked at. He agreed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Metal will die but then immediately turn into a zombie-ghost-vampire-skeletor that haunts your buttocks with bruising bass, tasty drum beats, penetrative riffs and a King Diamond falsetto shrieking sweet somethings in your ear.

Also, this thread needs more Immortal Sax.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#49]
12 year olds in New  York City

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do people mistake you for this guy now?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top