Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2002 7:15:41 PM EDT
I have been considering the Vepr rifle for a while.  I really like the 5.45x39 round (I have an AK chambered for this - it is fun, pretty accurate, and light recoil).

Questions:

1 - Difference between the Vepr II and the Vepr K?  Any difference in accuracy?

2 - Any reason I should choose .223 over 5.45x39?  I see no real difference in prices of ammo, though getting dies and reloading components for 5.45x39 is pretty expensive.  However, I have lots of mags for it versus higher priced mags for the .223 version.

3 - anyone know of a good source for these rifles?

Any other advice or opinions appreciated :)
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a thread for you, Greywolf2112:
[url]http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1232311#post1232311[/url]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the general agreement is that VEPRs are some of the best made Kalashnikovs around.  They are very accurate to boot.  The only down side is their weight.  They have reinforced RPK type receivers and heavy barrels.  The VEPR II has a full length barrel while the VEPR K has a 16" barrel with a short AK-74 type compensator.  I love my VEPR II.  I got it from Tennessee Guns.  Cavalry Arms sells them as well.

Here's a picture of mine:
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40%2Fvepr2%2D2%2Ejpg[/img]

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]Greywolf2112[/b], [url=http://www.sportingarms.com]Sporting Arms[/url] in the Dallas-Fort Worth area has very good prices on VEPRs — one fellow reported getting one for under $450 a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the general agreement is that VEPRs are some of the best made Kalashnikovs around.  They are very accurate to boot.  The only down side is their weight.  They have reinforced RPK type receivers and heavy barrels.  The VEPR II has a full length barrel while the VEPR K has a 16" barrel with a short AK-74 type compensator.  I love my VEPR II.  I got it from Tennessee Guns.  Cavalry Arms sells them as well.

Here's a picture of mine:
[url]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40%2Fvepr2%2D2%2Ejpg[/url]

USPC40

[url]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/url]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[url]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/url]
View Quote

Yeah, like THAT!
Nice 'chooting ma-cheen', mang!
Very nice.
I'm inspired to spend more gun money! [;D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
2 - Any reason I should choose .223 over 5.45x39?  I see no real difference in prices of ammo, though getting dies and reloading components for 5.45x39 is pretty expensive.  However, I have lots of mags for it versus higher priced mags for the .223 version.
View Quote

One reason I can think of is that since the VEPR is so accurate, you'd be missing out on using accurate 223 loads that can easily be found.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top