Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2002 3:12:50 PM EDT
I am going pheasant hunting tomorrow with a buddy and taking my dog, a lab, with us.  She will either have to ride in her kennel in the bed of my friend truck, or I will have to drive seperate and let her ride in the car with me.  The high tomorrow is supposed to be in the upper 30's and its about a 3 hour drive to where we are hunting.  

I have a wood cover to go on the door of the kennel, so the wind wouldn't be much of an issue, but is the temperature and length of the drive too long to leave her in the bed of the truck?  She I drive seperate and take her with me, or will she be fine in her kennel with a blanket?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
She should be just fine in her kennel with a blanket. I've carted my dogs much further than three hours with that method and ain't had nairy problem.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The first rule of hunting dogs is that you must lead them a little more than the average neighborhood pet.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If she's tough enough to hunt, she's tough enough to ride in the back of the truck.  After all, she's a Lab, not some wussy Weimaraner.
I'd much rather see you with your dog in the kennel when it's 30 out that when it's 90+ out.
If you are really concerned about the temp, secure a poncho liner around the kennel.
BUT, make sure you secure that kennel well.  My friends lost their GSP for over a week in Mexico after a rollover accident.  It was in a kennel and the kennel was ejected from the shell and cracked enough for the dog to get out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
A lost GSP? This wasn't around Aberdeen S.D. was it? I picked one up there about six years ago.

(she had two pieces of shot in her.....luckily the bastard missed.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top