Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2002 8:07:18 AM EDT
Mine is Gumball Rally, with Raul Julia and Michael Sarazin.  Cool cars, great scenes.  A real 427 cobra and Ferarri Daytona.  Awesome. It's Cannonball Run done the right way.  Just wish they had it on DVD.

Anyone have a better one?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
"Heart Like a Wheel" is good, or in keeping with the Halloween season, "Christine" would be another good choice.

"Gone in Sixty Seconds" had some cool cars too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Le Mans
Against All Odds (the race down Sunset)
Gumball Rally
Cannonball (not Run either)
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Gumball Rally - "Franco is ready, the race can begin."

The Italian Job

Grand Prix

The Secret Valley of Racing - Not really a movie, but a great documentary about Lime Rock Park.  Just got finished watching it, again.

Also, the BMW Films were quite nice, too.  Short films with some great driving and cool Bimmers!

Enter girlfriend's voice - "Guns and cars, guns and cars, that's all you think about."

My voice, "At least I'm not thinking of other women or, God forbid, work."

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Le Mans with Steve McQueen
Vanishing Point with Barry Newman

[b]Can ya hear me Kowalski?[/b]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#5]
"Bullitt" with Steve McQueen, 1968 Mustang GT390.  The movie is kinda weak but the chase scene is the best. [bounce]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Batman

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The car chase in Ronin was damn good.

ARH
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Darn! [b]Arock[/b] beat me to it!

The 1971 movie with Barry Newman, and starring
five (5) 1970 Challengers, with 440 Mopar motors.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/1970ufo/images/vpoint01.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/1970ufo/images/vpoint20.jpg[/img]

Eric The(Nostalgic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Audi S8 with NOS....kick ass.  Ronin for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]

And.. Cleavon Little as 'Super Soul'.

[b]Are ya out there Kowalski ?[/b]  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Vanishing Point went right through the town I now live in. I was pretty well amazed when I saw the familiar scenery one Sunday morning on TBS.

"The first rule of Italian racing: What issa behind you, issa not important."
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Gumball is a better movie than Cannonball, which is odd. Cannonball had the participation of Brock Yates, the organizer of the real Cannonball Baker race. He says he had a very different movie in mind, one featuring Steve McQueen, but Burt Reynolds had too much say in the script.

A lot of the incidents in Cannonball were real--they really were racing across the US dressed up as Roman Catholic priests, or, in one memorable case, an ambulance with a dodge 440 dropped in. (The engine blew up somewhere in the midwest.)

Watched Bullit on DVD the other day. Damn! When they hit the throttles and those carbs open up and the engines rev up....
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#13]

There three car movies I remember from the early 70's that I still group together.

Vanishing Point reminds me of..

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry , Peter Fonda reminds me of...

Two Lane Blacktop,  Sweet Baby James Taylor and Dennis Wilson beach boys.

Another two that come up are the French Connection and Bullitt.

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#14]
herbie the luv bug
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#15]
1 Grand Prix.
2 Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill!

Grand Prix was just a great movie with a great cast. Plus James Garner wins the World Championship.

Faster Pussycat is Russ Meyer at his best. Not really an Oscar winning production but big boobs and sports cars are two of my favorite things.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#16]
heres one for ya' remember the B flick movie "The Car" hacked up Psycho Lincoln Continental.My favorite scene was the local yocal old broad thrusting her arm in the air at the Cemetary gates yelling CAT POO!what a Hoot!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Gumball rally had the coolest cars.

Gran Prix(James Garner rocks!)and Le Mans were good flicks.

That Speed movie with Sly Stallone.......GAWD! what a shit stain of a movie that was!Right up there with Days of Thunder.

Youn know...some of those 70's flicks,like Dirty  Mary Crazy Larry,Vanishing Point ,etc,I'm not real sure if they were trying to send some kinda wierd message or what but they just have a strange sorta feeling to them.

I don't enjoy them too much.

Seems like they'd be well used in a Clock Work Orange sorta criminal punishment  technique.Have a guy sentenced too watch a couple a movies like these 24/7 for a year or two,and they'd be pretty well broken and confused.Definately terrified at the prospect of sitting threw one again.

Anyhow,I love cars,and I racked my brain trying to think of a movie newer than 20 years old.......Pathetic.There really aren't many good  car related flicks out there.

We need a modern day gumball rally,but without the campy "cannonball" humor.With all the killer cars,imncluding some classics.Forget the vans,copcars and riceburners.

Maybe they could all be piloted  by topless playmates.[:)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Probably some of you wouldn't call this a car movie, but American Graffiti has always brought back sweet memories of cruising all night with the tunes playing, hanging out at Big Boy, looking to score with the girls, etc, etc.
And with gas at 30 cents a gallon and cars that were a snap to work on, I did a lot of driving.

Honorable mention to Hollywood Knights.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Yes, Gumball Rally & Vanishing Point were great 70's classics. Might I suggest another 70's flic, an early Spielberg film - Duel.

S-I
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Ahh yeah.American Grafitti did have alot of nice rides in it.

Good call.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, Gumball Rally & Vanishing Point were great 70's classics. Might I suggest another 70's flic, an early Spielberg film - Duel.

S-I
View Quote

Duel - Dennis Weaver in a slant 6 powered Plymouth Valient vs a tanker truck. It scared the crap out of me when I was a kid...Years later watching it made me wince when that cherry Duster front end was destroyed - I coulda used that on the race car!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Christine!!!!! Especially that hottie GF of the psycho!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
[img]http://stephen-love-and-his-car-herbie.com/Herbie6.gif[/img]

[b]HERBIE - The Love Bug. [/b]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Le Mans with Steve McQueen

[b]Can ya hear me Kowalski?[/b]
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#25]
[url=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0072856]Death Race 2000[/url]

Haven't seen it, but it sounds like it would be funny, in a 'battlefield earth' kind of way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Lady Liberty episode of Miami Vice.

Danny Sullivan kicking that Porsche in the ass. What could be better?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Bullitt for me too. Loved Mustangs at the time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#28]
"Gumball Rally" "Corvette Summer" "American Graffiti"
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Batman

Sgtar15
View Quote

Chicks dig the car...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Grand Prix for sure. Check out this months Car and Driver magazine for a good story on Brock Yates and the real CannonBall runs.

Death Race 2000 was a 12 pack at the drive in kinda movie. It really could pull 20 pounds of vacuume on an onion sack.[:X*]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#31]
No question about it: 1968's "Bullit" with Steve McQueen. Saw this movie at the theater when I was a kid. I'll never forget the scene
where Steve gets airborne during the car chase down the hills of San Francisco. The camera is positioned in the back seat of his Mustang so that you are looking over his shoulder as he barrels after the bad guys (Steve did his own stunt driving in the movie). I felt as though I were in the car with him as we catapulted through the air toward San Francisco Bay! Nothing but blue water out front till the car touched down again. The Dodge Charger the bad guys were driving was also pretty tough.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Another vote for Bullit.  Love some Steve McQueen.  The chase in The Getaway (?) where he's shooting a wood furnitured pump out the back glass is pretty bad-ass, too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Smokey and the Bandit!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#35]
American Graffitti

Bullit

Vanishing Point

Two Lane Blacktop

Smokey and the Bandit

Mad Max

These should be required viewing for car guys.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes, the infamous green Volkswagen. They only had 3 or 4 "traffic" cars for the scene so a few of them appear more than once.

The Charger also loses about 8 hubcaps and the Mustang upshifts 7 times towards the end.

Still the best car chase ever filmed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Dude wheres my car?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Bullit ... Yes, great Charger!
Vanishing Point ... Yes, great Challenger!
The Car ... Hilarious, I have this DVD.
43, The Petty Story ... The King!

DrMark
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Steve McQueen only did some of the stunt driving in Bullit. Bud Ekins, the guy who did the motorcycle jumps over the fence in "The Great Escape", did the jumps and some of the hairier driving of the Mustang. The actor in the horn rim glasses driving the Charger really was doing the driving--he was stuntman Bill Hickman.

Two Mustangs were used in the filming. One was scrapped. The other is sitting in a barn. [url]http://www.bradbowling.com/cars/bullitt.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#41]
There was an old flick I saw on cable called "King of the Road" which had a lot of drag racing scenes in it including a pic of the old Colt 65 Mustang pointing almost straight up off the line.
I think Gumball Rally was the best.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[url=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0072856]Death Race 2000[/url]

Haven't seen it, but it sounds like it would be funny, in a 'battlefield earth' kind of way.
View Quote

Death Race 2000 is a classic, though I never considered it a car movie as the cars are mostly silly mock ups.  Funny as hell though.  Same team that brought you Rock & Roll High School, another of my favorite movies.

Damn, forgot about Corvette Summer, loved that movie as a kid.  Especially the Trans Am with the Formula hood and side pipes.  I cried when they crashed it in the end.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Christine!!!!! Especially that hottie GF of the psycho!!!!!
View Quote

"Hottie GF of the psycho"?  Do you mean the flesh & blood human girlfriend or his made-in-Detroit true love?  The girl was cute but if it's possible for a car to be "sexy" then [:P]

Other favorite "car" movies:
American Graffiti- esp Paul Lemats yellow '32 & Ron Howards '58 Chevy mild custom.  
Vanishing Point
The Car: cheesy drive-in fair but still fun.
Death Race 2000: same chees-fest as The Car.  Kinda fun to guess what the original cars were before being customized.  Plus Mary Woronov--Miss Togar from RnRHS [:P]
Cannonball:  Made by the same people & most of the same actors as DR2000
Gone In 60 Seconds:  Not the Nick Cage remake but the original.
Blues Brothers:  Being a C body Mopar fan this one is a fav.
Mad Max/Road Warrior
Thunder Road
Gumball Rally

(edited to add)
Used Cars:  Any movie that has an Edsel in it can't be all that bad.

Link Posted: 10/20/2002 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, most of the good ones have been mentioned.  Glad no one said "fast and the furious." I think they would have to be banned for life.  

There's "Catch me if you Can" a semi forgetable flick, but decent cars.  

Oh, and one of the best car chase scenes in a movie is of course in "Way of the Gun".  But that's not a car movie.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 1:58:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well, most of the good ones have been mentioned.  Glad no one said "fast and the furious." I think they would have to be banned for life.
View Quote

Gah!  I can't believe you even mentioned that ricer propaganda crap film by name!  A totally riced out fwd POS beating a supercharged Charger?  Yeah, right [rolleyes]

Re "Way Of The Gun":  Haven't seen it yet but I almost mentioned Easy Rider but decided no to for the same reason.  Love the Panhead choppers (esp the Billy bike) but not really a "car" movie.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:19:52 AM EDT
[#46]
The Wraithe
Christine
Ronin
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:49:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Glad someone finally mentioned the original Gone In 60 Seconds. Pretty cool to be in high school and see all the mayhem(brand new Caddies smashed,wrapping Elinore around a light pole,etc.).
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Glad someone finally mentioned the original Gone In 60 Seconds. Pretty cool to be in high school and see all the mayhem(brand new Caddies smashed,wrapping Elinore around a light pole,etc.).
View Quote

And it wasn't such a big deal since they were fairly new cars when the movie was made.  In the remake Eleanore was still the same year Mustang but now a classic rather than a low mileage used car.  I'm not overly fond of Fords but just knowing that more than a few Mustangs were thrashed making the movie took some of the fun out of watching it.  One of my favorite bits in the original is the shot of Eleanore hauling ass down the highway with about 50+ cop cars in pursuit-almost all of them Dodge C-body Polara/Monacos or B-body Coronet 4drs.  Probably a few AMC Matador cruisers in there also.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And it wasn't such a big deal since they were fairly new cars when the movie was made.  In the remake Eleanore was still the same year Mustang but now a classic rather than a low mileage used car.  I'm not overly fond of Fords but just knowing that more than a few Mustangs were thrashed making the movie took some of the fun out of watching it.  One of my favorite bits in the original is the shot of Eleanore hauling ass down the highway with about 50+ cop cars in pursuit-almost all of them Dodge C-body Polara/Monacos or B-body Coronet 4drs.  Probably a few AMC Matador cruisers in there also.
View Quote

In the first movie Eleanore was a 73 mustang while in the second it was supposed to be a 67 Shelby. No real Shelbys were thrashed in the movie.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I was talking about the human hottie!!!!!!It would have ben even better if she were a cheerleader!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top