Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2002 9:26:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing that I've heard or seen would indicate such. Hopefully people are just buying them!
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
... I'm trying as much as cash on hand can allow [:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt it......If thats were the case Im sure we here on the board will be the first to know about it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have cornered the market. E-mail me, and I my sell you one if the price is right.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you mean AR15 style rifles or the actually "AR-15"?  If you mean the actual Colt AR-15, it was removed from the market a while back.  If you just mean AR15 style, no way.  Bushmaster, Armalite and many other AR15 style companies are going strong.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive taken a couple off the market.....:D
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A friend just told me this.
True or not?
View Quote

News to me, Probably refering to the Colt's.

So.. you got that 20" Bushy yet ?  [:)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
What's up, DoubleDude?  Why don't you go to a major gun show to find an AR?  Around here, any decent sized gun show will have several dealers with good selections of ARs.  You can find good prices, too.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Osprey, My seller disappeared, it seems.  I am going to email him in the morning, because I really want that rifle.
View Quote

I'm sure most of us here just said a little prayer hoping you didn't get screwed.

Gun sales are up since the Maryland murderer started acting up, but nobody is out of business yet.

Give him a call.

We're all watching and waiting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nothing has changed hands yet.  Fortunately.  In fact, I informed him of my inexperience at this, and he gave me several protective measures to take.
Thanks to the seller's input, I am protected.
Something happened to him.  Nobody tells a buyer how to avoid getting screwed and then disappears on purpose.
Edited to add, I just hope whatever happened isn't serious.  Maybe he had to go out of town or something.
View Quote

He isn't in [b]Maryland[/b] by any chance, is he?

Edited to fix boo-boo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you mean AR15 style rifles or the actually "AR-15"?  If you mean the actual Colt AR-15, it was removed from the market a while back.  If you just mean AR15 style, no way.  Bushmaster, Armalite and many other AR15 style companies are going strong.
View Quote

Off the topic but Colt rifles are "AR15 style," as you put it.  AR in AR15 stands for Armalite (as many of you no doubt know), so any AR rifle that is not an Armalite is "AR15 style."  

I know too much.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Are you sure?  

I thought it stood for [b]Asskicking[/b][;)]

I thought Colt was the first..  so where does armalite come into play?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are you sure?  

I thought it stood for [b]Asskicking[/b][;)]

I thought Colt was the first..  so where does armalite come into play?  
View Quote

Eugene Stoner worked for a company called "Arma-Lite" in the 1950s and 1960s. He designed several great firearms with military applications, including the AR-10, in the then new 7.62MM NATO caliber. It competed in the trials with tthe weapon which became the M-14. The AR-10 test rifle failed because of a "composite" light-weight barrel that burst during testing. The Gov claimed the barrel design was not up to the use, because of technological problems. Stoner claimed his design was sabotaged, and made to fail.

When DARPA was doing studies into the best overall weapon for the military in the early 1960s, Jim Sullivan took Eugene Stoner's AR-10 design and scaled it down for a smaller, high-velocity cartridge. The Army fielded numbers of AR-15 rifles with one in fourteen rifling twists in Viet Nam, with the spooks. The spooks liked the early weapons. The Army didn't.

Eventually, the AR-15 was mass tested as the XM-16. The XM-16s had no forward assist. The M16A1 was adopted with forward assist after problems were encountered because of poor training with a new weapon system, lack of proper cleaning instructions, and the inappropriate change from extruded IMR powder to ball type powder.

The "AR" stands for "Arma-lite". (Many people say it means "Arma-lite Rifle", but the AR family includes at least one shotgun.....

Colt came into play when the original Arma-Lite had financial and production problems that interfered with delivering [b]MILLIONS[/b] of weapons for the military. Colt bought the design and production rights and was better able to mass produce the weapons.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Off the topic but Colt rifles are "AR15 style," as you put it.  AR in AR15 stands for Armalite (as many of you no doubt know), so any AR rifle that is not an Armalite is "AR15 style."  

I know too much.
View Quote

And too little.  The current Armalite company has no connection to the original Arma-Lite company, thus even Armalite ARs are "AR style" rifles.   Because Colt purchased the design from the original Arma-Lite (which was itself a division of Fairchild Aircraft) Colt owns the sole rights to the name AR-15 and only Colt can legally call it's rifles AR-15's if it so chooses.  Everyone else needs to call them M15's or LAR-15's, or FAR-15's or PCR-15's etc.

The original ArmaLite died the natural death befalling poorly managed companies.

Of all modern producers of AR style rifles, perhaps Knight's has the clearest connection to the original Arma-Lite since it employed the talents of Eugene Stoner at one time.  The SR in thier rifle model names stands for "Stoner Rifle."
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Get 'em while you can. If the sniper is using an AR, they'll be banned. If not immediately, then after Jan. 2004.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I know too much.
View Quote

And too little.  The current Armalite company has no connection to the original Arma-Lite company, thus even Armalite ARs are "AR style" rifles.   Because Colt purchased the design from the original Arma-Lite (which was itself a division of Fairchild Aircraft) Colt owns the sole rights to the name AR-15 and only Colt can legally call it's rifles AR-15's if it so chooses.  Everyone else needs to call them M15's or LAR-15's, or FAR-15's or PCR-15's etc.

The original ArmaLite died the natural death befalling poorly managed companies.

Of all modern producers of AR style rifles, perhaps Knight's has the clearest connection to the original Arma-Lite since it employed the talents of Eugene Stoner at one time.  The SR in thier rifle model names stands for "Stoner Rifle."
View Quote
Blah, blah, blah.  We all know the story that you Colt enthusiasts keep retelling over and over.  Colt is not the original Colt, S&W is not the original, etc.  What's your fucking point in regurgitating this old news?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Why LarryG,  You failed history in school didn't you [:)]

All that hostility you got penned up inside you is gonna eat you alive one of these days! [;)]

Thank you Dscott and Iceman for bringing me up
to par with the AR15's History [:)]  

Pay no attention to LarryG..  he evidently failed his GED many many times... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought that Colt just licensed the design and production rights to the rifle for a period of time and when the original patent ran out it was a free-for-all.

Either way, I'm covered with two of each.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#25]
From [url]www.a-human-right.com[/url]:

[img]http://www.a-human-right.com/RKBA/AK47-2_s.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#26]
The real issue here is market adoption.  Companies want their name to be well known, so as to capture a large share of the market when people ask for the general product by their name.  Think Xerox for copier or Jello for gellatine dessert products.  If the market adopts the name completely, however, it loses the advantage because the name may no longer be legally protected, and because people begin to add a specific manufacturer 's name before the term (I need to buy a Bushmaster AR-15[:)]).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top