Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2002 5:57:54 PM EDT
I just bought one-o-these-things, a Magellan Sportrac Map, what a cool toy!  It's a never ending source of fascination to me that this little thing does what it does.  I can't wait to deliberately go hiking blind into the woods for two hours, knowing FULL WELL that I can find my way back.  How did I live w/out one for so long, being the Camp Ninja and all?  I dunno!!!  I've already got my trip to the GSFS mapped out, seeya there, vatos!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the new toy.  If you're going to go "hiking blind" in the woods, make sure to bring backup like a map and compass and extra batteries. A lot of tree cover screws even the best GPS units.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
you're asking for trouble!

1. Know how to use a map and compass!!!!!!!!!
2. Know how to use a map and compass!!!!!!!!!
3. Know how to use a map and compass!!!!!!!!!
4. Know how to use a map and compass!!!!!!!!!
5. CARRY a map* and compass!
6. Use the GPS to AUGMENT the above skills.
7. Know how to use your GPS.
8. batteries fail or get depleted.
9. GPS unit can fail
10. GPS coverage is not greatest in places with overhead cover, down deep in draws and other places where there is a restricted view of the sky.

* it would be best if the map you have is ACTUALLY for the location you will be in.

edited for grammar.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, wait till they put one in your truck at work. Then tell me how you like it.

If used as a routing tool it's ok but used as a hammer by management to thin the herd it aint so cool.

Good for personal use bad if used by the man.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can't wait to deliberately go hiking blind into the woods for two hours, knowing FULL WELL that I can find my way back
View Quote

I don't need a GPS for that,but its still cool[:D]

How much was it?
I want to get one so I can find old fish'n spots faster.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you wanna have a little fun with GPS take a look at this site. [url]http://www.geocaching.com/[/url]

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for GPS users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Want some advice ?  NO, well yur gettin it anyways [:)]. Never and I mean never go out thinking you can rely on some piece of electronics equipment to get you out of a jam, I know I wouldn't bet my life on it, you shouldn't bet your's either. These things are awesome, I use mine alot and usually can get back to within a few yards where I started, but I have had times where I cannot get a good signal and had to wait. Enjoy....
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
All good points, my brothers.  As for the deal I got, I got it at Sam's; the GPS unit, the MapSend Topo/Streets for the whole US, datasend cable, carrying pouch and clip:$250 plus a $50 rebate, sum=$200.  The unit alone goes for that anywhere, so I'm happy.  As for a map and a compass, got that covered.  What a cool toy!
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dude, wait till they put one in your truck at work. Then tell me how you like it.

If used as a routing tool it's ok but used as a hammer by management to thin the herd it aint so cool.

Good for personal use bad if used by the man.
View Quote

I use a dash top gps hooked to my laptop to get around on roads to find job sites and motels.

They have put hidden gps units in all our co trucks with out the guys knowlaqe.
The boss had me teach him basic computer stuff so he could keep tabs on the guys.

It's been two months now and he figures he can save about $100K a year paying actual time worked vs time at the QT (ect).
I told him if he put one in my truck, I quit.

Told him I ment it too!

So far he has mentioned the beniffits of insurance and "what if they stold my truck but I still don't have one (yet).
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
More fun with GPS -

The Degree Confluence Project
[URL]http://www.confluence.org[/URL]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I found a Magellan GPS system made for the military (they use other RF bands too) and it worked below the Dallas convention center!!!!  Beneath all that concrete and rebar!!!!!
It was bulky though, but probably early 1990's technology...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top