Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2002 4:14:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The SA Pattern M83 vest (the ones that are brown) are sized for 5.56 sized mags.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the brown vests made for 5.56. They do hold FAL mags, and are a bit tight but they will slide out. The two shorter side pockets fit two FAL mags perfectly. Mag pulls on the taller pockets would help quite a bit but I have both 5.56 and 7.62 mags in mine. The extra removable pouch on the back works great for a 50 oz or 1.5 liter camel back bladder with extra room to spare. It did take a few washes to get rid of all the Africa hot "stank" though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
when i got mine, i searched all over the web for info, but couldn't find any.  as stated above, the pouches seem to be sized for 5.56, and i use a MSR 2-liter bladder.  i can't seem to find an effective way to rig the hose, though.  anyone have suggestions/info?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:17:31 AM EDT
[#4]
They are for the R-4 Galil, and fit the M16 mag like it was made for it.  AK mags don't fit too well, the 7.62x39's just curve too much.  The flap doesn't go over too well with two mags in the pouch.  The 5.45 and .223 Norinco fit better, but are sitll a tad long.  The two big side pouches fit a Rubermaid 2L bottle, but it's pretty tight as well.  It will carry two .75L water bottles you buy at the store though quite well.  Almost like it was made for them.  The top pouch on the back is too short for a Camelback, but there are shorter ones and I haven't tried anything else, as I already had the Camelback.  The top back pouch also has a separate velcro flap in the top that you can run a hose, radio handset, antenna, whatever, through.  

I've thought of just removing both the upper and lower back pouches and rigging it up for a removable Camelback.  You could always use one of those with the carrying capability (i.e. backpack type) and it could be a pretty slick set-up.

I have two of them.  One is pretty nice, so I'm leaving that as-is for .223.  The other is pretty ratty in the pockets, but the harness itself is fine, so I'm going to do some experimenting with it.  I'm going to switch the mag pouches to a more universal type that will take AK, M14, M16 mags.  I'm going to add fastex buckles in place of the thread through straps.  I'm going to take off the back pockets (which have been damaged and repaired, so no biggie there) and do the Camelback thing.  I may also add the belt loops off of a junk USGI LBV I have.  The 5.56 sized mag pouches off this one may migrate over to my other one, replacing some of the forward pockets, or I might make some kinda chest rig out of them.  

Now, I just need a sewing machine!

Ross
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The SA vest is underated.

Both AR or Fal Mags will fit, but M1A mags will not.

Get a 50oz CamelBak Pakteen for the top rear pouch.

I cut the divider out of the right double mag pouch and it holds a Nalgene water bottle very nicely.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree......the SA vest are underated! I have a  some of the SA 2L canteens made for the vest, if anyone is interested in some I know where you can get them here in the states!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Where did you guys get these vests and how much was it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is $90 for "good" condition a fair price?
View Quote

well, i got mine in near-perfect condition for $50 at my local surplus store, but i've not seen another, so couldn't comment on market value.  i can say that i would've spent $90 and not been at all dissatisfied.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
$90 is a good price! these are also getting harder to find in the states too!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought mine from a guy at the FALfiles. He sold them real cheap and in good condition, but they sold out fast. I don't know if he is still selling them anymore.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a good tac-vest, thanks for the info!  

BTW how many AR mags can fit in it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good tac-vest, thanks for the info!  

BTW how many AR mags can fit in it?
View Quote

Eight 30rnd AR mags in designated pouches.  But you could pack a veritable "BUTT LOAD" of mags in the canteen pouches while putting a camel back in the back pouch. [BD]

This is a very rugged, well thought out, piece of gear.  For $90 it can not be beat!.  I picked mine up at CTD on the way to the Hun Farm, and to be honest, mine does need a bit of sewing to be brought back to "USMC serviceable" condition.  But when I get through with a few modifications, less then $20 worth, it will be as good as the $300+ LBV's sold by Blackhawk, Lightfighter, etc...

To me it is more comfortable then the LBV I was issued while on active duty.  The mags don't hit me in the diaphragm when I go prone, and the pouches offer greater flexibility for use to fit the mission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top