Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2002 7:55:50 PM EDT
Alright, I saw the thread on if CCW permit where public record depending on the state, and thought I'd post this and see your opinion. The article I read about this was in July, but I was just reminded.

Alright, PA state law apparently makes it so that the County Sheriff is required to send out a notice to the permit holders when their permit is about to expire so they can go renew it.

I'm in Luzerne County, and apparently (at the time the article was written) my County Sheriff wasn't doing it, and a local gun rights guy (who I'd never heard of, and couldn't really find anything on), got the paper to write up about how this was a violation of state law.

Now, the County Sheriff argued that his office doesn't do it for two reasons
a)It costs more then he's got in his budget
b)He's worried about sending out letters since they may get delivered to the wrong address, or people might have moved, and he knows that some guys want to keep the fact that they carry private.

And then there was some bickering about what the law really means.

So:
Should the sheriff be sending out the letters, or is he really protecting the privacy of permit holders?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never heard of the county sheriff sending out reminders in my county, any surrounding county or any other PA county where I know someone who carries. I was always told that if carrying is important you'll never forget to renew your permit. I have yet to meet someone who forgot to renew.

I have to agree with the non-mailing decision. Carrying is a very personal matter and I rountinely get my neighbor's mail. I would not want them getting a letter for me about signing up for a "gun permit." Stay Safe.

-Luther
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
that reminds me, I gotta check mine[:)]

Allegheny county here.  I'd opt for privacy. Even though the sherrif might be supposed to mail out letters, they usually use post cards.
Let it slide. When he stops you for speeding, he's supposed to write you a ticket. You gonna gripe about that if he doesn't?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in York County. The Sheriff sent me a notice a couple of months before mine expired, and even stated that they were going to go ahead and complete the NICS check. I walked into the county court house building a few days before it actually expired and they had my new permit all ready to go - all they needed was a new photo. I was in and back out in less than 5 minutes.  I kinda liked the fact that they just assumed I would be renewing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
that reminds me, I gotta check mine[:)]

Allegheny county here.  I'd opt for privacy. Even though the sherrif might be supposed to mail out letters, they usually use post cards.
Let it slide. When he stops you for speeding, he's supposed to write you a ticket. You gonna gripe about that if he doesn't?
View Quote

I'm not complaining Capt.

Oops, I didn't write that in my post.

Yeah, I agree with the Sherrif on this one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to your local state rep. office and get a free copy of Fire Arms Law of Pa. It's a blue book. If I recall, you are to be sent a reminder when  your permit is about to expire, via registered mail. BUT, I would still re-apply in person before expiration date. The booklet is very interesting as far as the "Law" is concerned. Very thorough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top