Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2002 9:51:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I grew up in SoCal.  We moved from Ventura County about six years ago and I travel to LaLaLand frequently.  In truth, renting a car really is the best way to go.  The mass transit system won't get you from here to there with any semblance of convenience.  I'm not even sure if there is a bus system to get you from LAX to Ventura on a frequent basis.

Disneyland is about 85-90 miles south from Ventura.  LAX is in between, about 60 miles from LAX.

The LA metro bus system is not a friendly place.  In fact, just about anywhere in the city is a combat zone.

There is a transit system web site.  A stage runs from LAX to Ventura daily.  Not sure what it costs.  It is a bus coach.

Bottom line, in SoCal, you NEED a car because the area is so spread out and rapid/mass transit just doesn't connect you up very well.  This is NOT a typical eastern metropolitan area like NYC or Washington DC where you can jump on the Metro or the Subway and go anywhere in the area.  Freeways connect everything in SoCal...not rail or bus lines.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Stokes-
I
m sure there are good people here on AR15.com, but please dont expose your wife or child to some whacko.

Sorry if I come across as a jerk.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stokes-
I
m sure there are good people here on AR15.com, but please dont expose your wife or child to some whacko.

View Quote

My thoughts exactly.  Contrary to popular belief, your wife will not be shot for driving 55 on the freeway.  Likely, she won't even be able to speed until she gets to the 101.
Driving from Disneyland to Ventura is a piece of cake.  I-5 to 134 to 101.  I'm pretty sure the 134 and 101 interchanges say, "Ventura Freeway."  She can get a map of the greater LA area at the car rental place and driving directions.
I'd be willing to do it.  I honestly don't know if I'll be back from Montana by then.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Car rentals in so cal are very affordable. Pay a few bucks, have peace of mind and your family can have a great trip.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe Imbroglio will be free that day.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Stokes,

Check out the Amtrak schedule; I'm pretty sure there's a station in Anaheim, and there's definitely a station in Ventura that's really convenient.  The only tricky part is that there may be a transfer at Union Station in downtown L.A., and it might be a bus instead of a train to Ventura depending on the time of the ride.  Amtrak clientele is o.k. and this is a low-stress way to travel.

I was in Ventura with my family a couple months back and we took the train to Santa Barbara, with a .25 cent shuttle from the S.B. station to the S.B. zoo, and the kids had a great time.  It's a fun train ride that goes along the coast most of the way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Stokes,
I just moved from there. The best way to get to Ventura from Anaheim, CA is  via the Metrolink rail way. It only runs weekdays (from the last time I took it about 2 years ago) and is an excellent scenic trip. They will get to travel through one of the worlds longest tunnel (Chatsworth, CA). When they pull into Ventura county )the view from the window is awesome (Simi Valley, My moms hood). I traveled the metro every day to and from Oxnard, CA- Chatsworth. Oxnard at the time was the end of the rail system but they were planning on taking it to Santa Barbra. I am sure you can find the info you need on the web.. If I were still out there I would help you out but I defected due to the mag ban. Sorry
Samuel
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks like the Metrolink only goes as far north as Oxnard.  

[url]http://www.metrolinktrains.com/[/url]

Depending on exactly where in Ventura your family is going you might be able to get a taxi or something to get them the rest of the way.

You could probably call the Metrolink and see what they suggest.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe Imbroglio will be free that day.
View Quote

That is funny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top