Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2002 6:39:30 AM EDT
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but in light of recent events and the fact that my best friend the Search engine is kaput, I thought I'd bring it up.

I've done some research and am aware that in most states it is legal for civilians to own and wear (unless you're a felon).  I'm also aware that if used while committing a crime there will be further felony charges.

I'm looking primarily at Second Chance lvl II Monarch and Zero-G lvl II.  I'm familiar w/ DOJ ratings and will be utilizing rifle plates front and rear.  I'm planning on wearing it pumping gas, mowing my parent's lawn in Montgomery Co., etc.

Any suggestions you have on brands or links are most welcome.  Can I purchase online or do forms need to be filled out at a local dealer?

Feel free to message (IM) me if you'd rather not post info.  Also, cannot seem to locate Zero-G 'Platinum' or 2nd Chance Monarch 'Summit.'  Is this stuff too new and not yet available?  TIA, Erick.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget your kevlar helmet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I expected that one - NP.

Maybe you should come on down to NoVa for a vacation or something...
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Try [url]http://www.galls.com[/url] for body armor. Bear in mind that Level II will not do much for most .22 high-velocity rounds. On the other hand, the sniper team seems to be favoring head shots lately, so really just a peace of mind thing, anyway.....

[url]http://www.galls.com/shop/viewproduct.jsp?catcode=13[/url]

Scott

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link DScott - much appreciated.  I figure I can use the lvl II for HD and until this/these person/s are caught I'll use rifle plates where practical.

I know this sounds pretty paranoid to most, but to myself and loved ones a little peace of mind around here is priceless.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again for the replies.  Just an FYI for those interested:  Stopping a .223 round requires a Lvl IIIA vest w/ steel and ceramic insert.  Even with that, who knows for sure?  It is certainly far from practical and virtually impossible to conceal.  Jarhead_22's advice sounds like the best defense.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve never dealt with these guys, but you might want to look at [url]www.bulletproofme.com/[/url].  Among other things, they sell used police body armor.

E-bay always has used body armor, often for pretty good prices.  However, I’m not sure I’d want to buy a unit from an individual.  Kevlar can de damaged by UV light and by chemicals such as bleach.  I’m not sure if this damage is visible.

The plates are pretty good if you’re a cop going through a door on a search warrant.  If you’re standing pumping gas, there’s a real good chance you’re going to get hit from the side, not straight on, in which case the plates give you no protection at all.

When dealing with rifles, as Jarhead_22 has said, tactical awareness really is your best bet.  The armor certainly won’t hurt, as long as it doesn’t cause you to get sloppy!

While I put virtually nothing in it, once I actually did have an old ABA level IIIA unit of body armor with a thin trauma plate stop a .223 at the range.  This was a 55 grain FMJ PMC out of a 16” Colt A3 from about 25 yards.  The round punched through the trauma plate, changed direction, and traveled maybe 3 inches laterally through the Kevlar before stopping.  The bullet was intact other than being a little mashed.  I had hung the body armor loosely from a target stand and I suspect the bullet tended to knock the panels away as it struck it, which of course would not have happened if someone were wearing it.

I’ve also put a lot of other .223’s through various units of body armor with nary a stop, so I’m pretty sure something went wrong in the above situation.

Like Ikor, my first choice would be a Second Chance Ultima vest, though they are very expensive.  The Monarch is an excellent vest for the price, though it’s still pretty expensive. [url]www.secondchance.com/[/url]

If you intend to wear this under a shirt while driving, keep in mind that if it’s too long it will constantly rise up on you when your sitting down.

Comfort sounds like a frivolous issue till you’ve worn one of these things a few hours.  And the largest, highest level available vest will do you no good if you’re not wearing it!

Stay away from anything with Spectra in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top