Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2002 11:29:40 AM EDT
my computer is acting funny and someone suggested lavasoft spyware scan. well i scanned and it come up with 4 files and i have no idea what they are. here is the results.

Started registry scan
======================
Cydoor key:HKEY_USERS\.default\software\cydoorCydoor key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\cydoorCydoor key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\cydoorAlexa key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}

Started extended registry scan
===============================

Registry scan result:
Suspicious keys found : 4

Started folder scan
====================
Warning, no disk in drive (A)

Folder scan result:
Folders processed:923
Suspicious folders found:0

Started file scan
==================
Cydoor file:C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cd_clint.dll
(Ignored)
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\gateway [email protected][1].txt
Doubleclick file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\gateway user@doubleclick[1].txt
(Ignored)
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\gateway user@fastclick[2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\gateway user@valueclick[1].txt
(Ignored)

File scan result:
Suspicious files found:5

Scanning finished
==================
Suspicious modules found:0
Suspicious keys found : 4
Suspicious folders found:0
Suspicious files found:5
=========================
Components ignored:3
Total components found:6

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Acting funny?  Can you expand on that?

Now that you've scanned your system with Ad-aware, the next step is to click the DELETE button so Ad-aware will ditch the spyware.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
have ad aware remove them
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
use kazaa/morpheus/grokster or any other clones of those programs?
that cydoor thing is needed by those programs, but it can be gotten around by using a fake file. I'm looking for the instructions now, as I never bookmarked them
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.project-insomnia.com/kazaa.html[/url]

has instructions for removing the spyware without disabling the file sharing

hmm, it's been updated and doesn't have the link to the fake file to replace that dll with

think this one has it
[url]http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/5077/new/cleankazaa.html#preparing[/url]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
i dont know anything about this spyware stuff but i guess that cydoor must be spyware? and i used to use kazaa but i havent lately.
my computer will sometimes slow to a crawl online and get to the point where it wont even load pages all the way. none of my neighbors have the problem with their service so i figured it must be my computer
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i dont know anything about this spyware stuff but i guess that cydoor must be spyware?
View Quote

Cydoor is spyware and is loaded on your system when you install Kazaa.  If you haven't already, get rid of it with Ad-aware.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Lavasofts Ad-aware seems to be a good program.  

Sometimes though, even with ad-aware, spyware is a real pain in the ass to get rid of.

Had something called 'gator'.  It's some marketing ad/spy software but it kept reinstalling itself into my registry after I deleted the directory, removed them from the registry etc.  Sneaky bastards.  Took awhile to figure out but it's gone for good.  

Made up an alias hotmail account and bitched them out.  I figure with scum like that, you use your real addy and they'll sell it anyway.  I'm sure they don't care, but it felt good bitching in their general direction.  [:D]

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
its gone, we'll see if it helps
thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top