Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one lol just for the hell of it
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Aww I used to live there
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Got to visit George as a kid.  Can still remember going there at the age of 4 or 5.  

Uncle was stationed there in the AF.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I drove by a place in Mississippi that was either refitting or recycling all kinds of commercial aircraft.

Tupelo

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Good old Victimville.  Changed a lot since I left there in '92.  A bunch of buildings I never would have thought would be have been bulldozed and million-square foot warehouses built where they stood.  The complex where I worked is gone, something I really did not expect.  I thought those buildings would be highly valued especially our 30' x 15' vault.  I bet it was a real bear to tear that thing apart.

The main runway has been extended by over 5000 feet, making it 50 feet longer than the main runway at Edwards.  Guess fully loaded cargo birds need a lot more runway than anything military.

Interestingly all the space they're parking aircraft on today is space that was originally prepared for aircraft parking following WWII.  There are photos of planes parked all over the place there while the parking ramp was hosted a bunch of Northup Flying Wings being converted from prop-driven XB-35s to jet-powered YB-49s.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I drove by a place in Mississippi that was either refitting or recycling all kinds of commercial aircraft.

Tupelo

Is there a place that does the same thing in Arkansas?  Up around Walnut Ridge maybe?  I recall seeing a bunch of airliners parked some distance from the highway the last time I drove through there.  Wondered was it a graveyard or a refit facility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top