Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 2:24:48 PM EDT
Fox reported seizure in DC of freshly painted isuzu truck with rear damage....
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
what's with the rear damage, or is that an unimportant observation?

(nevermind, I just went and read up on it. I didn't know that the truck they were looking for was smashed in the back)
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Its the flashing headline at the top of the [url]www.foxnews.com[/url] main page but there is no story yet to go with it.

They are not covering it right now on TV, Fox moved on to stuff about Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
come on east coast law enforcement, get these fools.

oz
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Did they repaint it to white???? hehe
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone else thought to question why nobody looks at the tag on this van/truck/bigwhiteobject,  yet they take enough notice of the rearend being bugered up?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has anyone else thought to question why nobody looks at the tag on this van/truck/bigwhiteobject,  yet they take enough notice of the rearend being bugered up?
View Quote

The dent was larger than the plate perhaps?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep...I just saw that on FOX too. And now I'm officially thinking it was a terrorist attack. Why? Because they used the Van as a "throw away" vehicle. This took a lot of thought and planning...instead of bombing or hijacking. They pulled a page from the PLO. Shooting from the hills to create terror.

Just my opinion...but this is pointing towards a Muslim doing this. They have not released or attempted to say anything about the ethnicity of the person(s) doing the killing. Like someone said, 8 million people and 16 million eyes in the DC area and noone saw anything?

We will see,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Authorities investigating the Washington-area sniper attacks on Saturday issued a composite image of a white, box-type truck, based on witness descriptions from more than one shooting location.

The vehicle found Monday looked like it had fresh paint and tags that had been tampered with. D.C. police took the truck to the mobile crime unit.

Meanwhile, members of the task force in Baltimore investigating the sniper attacks were examining a white van that was seized by police after a domestic shooting.

Baltimore police said a 37-year-old former Marine was shot by his girlfriend over the weekend in his southwest Baltimore apartment.

Citing police sources, WBAL-TV reported that [red]police found a book about snipers, an AR15 rifle and shell casings and ammunition inside the apartment[/red].

The man was treated and released from a Baltimore hospital. Police contacted him again Monday, and he agreed to come in for questioning.

The man reportedly owns a white van similar to the one that was spotted by witnesses after the most recent sniper attack near Fredericksburg, Virginia. The van is now at the Southern District police headquarters.

Investigators have searched the interior of the van, where they found radios. There was also an unusual message taped to one of the van's windows, and police asked the TV station not to reveal the contents of the message.

Police said the man was not yet a suspect in the sniper shootings, and the FBI was aware of him. The federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was examining the rifle and the ammunition.

Sniper investigators said Monday they have been deluged with tips, including false alarms caused by fear and anxiety, as residents of the Washington area remained on edge despite the longest lull in the series of shootings that began nearly two weeks ago.

A composite image of the vehicle seen by witnesses from more than one sniper location released by Montgomery County police Saturday.  
Cars backfiring, windows shattering and firecrackers popping are among the noises residents have confused with gunshots, believing they are possibly related to the string of random shootings that hit 10 people, killing eight, since Oct. 2.

"We also admit that everyone is edgy. People are hearing things," said Montgomery County police Chief Charles Moose, who is heading the multiagency investigation. "Things are occurring that may normally be overlooked or that may be routine, are certainly getting a higher response from people in their anxiety."

Earlier Monday, for example, four squad cars were sent to a Silver Spring car dealership when the window of a customer's BMW shattered when he slammed the door.

For the second weekend in row, the sniper took a break. The sniper's last confirmed shooting death was Friday morning in Spotsylvania County, Va., where a 53-year-old Philadelphia man was gunned down as he filled his gas tank.

The break extended into Monday morning, unlike a week earlier, when a boy was wounded outside a school. The 13-year-old boy remains in critical but stable condition, hospital officials said Monday morning.

Moose, who didn't give a specific number of tips his investigators have received, said people can now write as well as call with their tips. He gave an address -- P.O. Box 7875, Gaithersburg, Md., 20898-7875.

He added that a second composite image -- of a Chevrolet Astro van with a ladder on top seen leaving the scene of Friday's shooting -- was not yet ready.

Investigators hunting the increasingly brazen killer have logged some consistencies: the killer favors suburban gas stations; fires a single round; aside from weekends, has not let two days pass without opening fire again, and, judging from a tarot card left at one of the shootings, appears to enjoy taunting police.

Authorities have refused to release investigative details, saying they don't want the killer to know what they know.

"We don't want to release anything that may cause ... anyone to think they're a suspect," said Mike Bouchard, an agent of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Moose had cut back on his news briefings while saying he wished there was more he could reveal.

"I wish we could give you a name, a mug shot and an address but we're not at that point," he said in one of four appearances he made Sunday on national TV talk shows.

The last killing was Friday morning, when a 53-year-old father of six was shot while fueling his sedan in a gas station just south of Fredericksburg, Va. At the time, a state trooper stood just 50 yards away, investigating a traffic accident.

Authorities described the serial sniper as not just a local threat, but an attempt to terrorize already anxious Americans.

"This reminds us that people in our past have tried to intimidate and put fear into Americans," Moose said. "This a strong nation ... and we will not be intimidated."

In Landover, Md., police on horseback and bicycles ringed parking areas before Sunday's Washington Redskins football game against the New Orleans Saints. Fans grilling burgers at tailgate parties said they appreciated being encircled by patrol cars and rifle-toting officers.

"I don't think anybody in their right mind would try something out here," said Bill Freitag of Virginia Beach, Va., a die-hard Redskins fan. "But he's not in his right mind to begin with."

The victims, in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C., were shot as they carried out daily errands. Four were killed at service stations.

Moose and federal officers refused to comment on published reports that the FBI asked the Pentagon to search records for recently discharged soldiers who had undergone sniper training.

Investigators also would not discuss a yellow piece of paper found at Friday's killing site, which reportedly contained scribbled directions from northern Maryland to the Capital Beltway.

A white truck matching composite images compiled by the FBI was still being sought. And as Sunday wore on without another shooting, a reporter asked Moose if he dreaded Monday morning.

"We won't make any assumptions about any kind of pattern," Moose said. "I never approach Monday morning with a sense of dread."
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Just on FNC.

Freshy repainted white box truck with rear end damage and tampered with temporary Virginia tags found abandoned in Washington DC.

So it looks like they have picked up TWO trucks one in Baltimore and one in DC.

Heres more:
[url]www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/769063/posts[/url]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last I knew there is no state wide dent registry,  I don't think the DMV keeps track of that. Most normal person would think that a tag number would be more helpful.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:Citing police sources, WBAL-TV reported that [red]police found a book about snipers, an AR15 rifle and shell casings and ammunition inside the apartment[/red].
View Quote

woo hooo

my gun's value is going to go up when they ban em all!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Last I knew there is no state wide dent registry,  I don't think the DMV keeps track of that. Most normal person would think that a tag number would be more helpful.
View Quote

Ummm...I think the point is: The people were unable to get the plate numbers ([i]ya know, like maybe the truck was far away[/i])...But they [b]were[/b] able to see the damage to the rear of the truck
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They will start the dent registry as soon as they finish with the ballistic fingerprinting.

Any guess as to which provides more results?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did they repaint it to white???? hehe
View Quote

As a matter of fact yes, (wisenheimer). The rear end was damaged below the box, and not repaired. Fox reported they ran dogs in it, no hits. Has temporary virginia registration paper, not a plate...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
woo hooo

my gun's value is going to go up when they ban em all!!
View Quote

Yea, something to really look forward tooo[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Welp, prolly nuthin here folks. Some poor slob lost his truck for a couple of weeks....
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]
1_153_370_371_407, what if your rifle should break and you need to replace it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I was joking guys.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was joking guys.
View Quote

Ok, good.
You would be surprised in how many people here think the way you jokingly posted.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Well terrorists like those white vans.  Remember Invasion USA and True Lies?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top