Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2002 6:05:02 AM EDT
Pretty slick there boys. What a circle jerk!

[b]CIA's 'Omar' forced into hiding

October 14 2002

[red]Thousands of United States troops scouring Afghanistan for Mullah Mohammad Omar have been looking for the wrong man,[/red] according to an Afghan villager who says that it is his face on the CIA's wanted poster and not that of the fugitive Taliban leader.

Maulvi Hafizullah, a former protocol officer for the Taliban, says he has been hiding in fear for his life in a remote part of southern Afghanistan since his photograph appeared as Omar on hundreds of thousands of leaflets air-dropped by US forces earlier this year. The leaflets offer a $US5million ($9million) reward.

Hafizullah, who had fled to his home village after the collapse of the Taliban last December, said he was horrified when he saw the leaflet.

"I looked at the photo and it was me. The CIA are blind and stupid."

Besieged by villagers and even asked by his own five-year-old son if he was really Omar, Hafizullah said, he went into hiding. "I'm afraid to leave the house. If I do, soldiers or villagers will tear me to pieces so they can get the money."

While Hafizullah and the Taliban leader share bushy black beards, one fundamental difference seems to have been neglected on the "wanted" poster: Hafizullah has two eyes while Omar has only one, having been half-blinded in a Soviet rocket attack in 1986.

[red]"We don't know anything about this man," a US government official said. "There aren't that many pictures of Mullah Omar around anyway. What this does show is that this kind of poster drop certainly is effective as people are chasing it up on the ground."[/red]

There is some justification for what may be a highly expensive case of mistaken identity. The Taliban leader was so reclusive during his six years in power that most Afghans have no idea what he looks like.

[red]The case of the man who is not Omar is the latest embarrassment in a campaign that has yet to capture any senior Taliban officials.[/red]

Omar is generally thought still to be alive, hiding in villages in the mountains north of Kandahar. Last month Al-Jazeera television ran a statement from him that it said it believed to be genuine in which he vowed to fight on until Afghanistan had been "liberated" of foreign forces.[/b]

The Telegraph, London

This story was found at: [url]http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/10/13/1034222682611.html[/url]

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I only see one screwup involved with your post.  I won't say who it is.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you believe this or are you just posting it because it MIGHT be true?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, there is a quote there from a us govt. official, if it's bullshit why don't YOU produce some evidence to the contrary?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if this is true, but geez, look at the sources:

"an Afghan villager"
"Maulvi Hafizullah, a former protocol officer for the Taliban"
"a [unidentified, unnamed] US government official"
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]
So.  We've swapped a picture of bad guy for another bad guy.  Whoop de do. IT's STILL a bad guy.

If I remember correctly,  all these pictures are supplied by the Afghans.  Even they can't tell each other apart.

The one part of the story being true is that we haven't captured any senior Taliban.  We have however blown quite a few into smelly little Afghan bits.  Works for me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, there is a quote there from a us govt. official, if it's bullshit why don't YOU produce some evidence to the contrary?
View Quote

This riposte reminds me of the line from the Sci-Fi classic "Plan 9 From Outer Space" wherein one of the characters, being questioned and doubted, utters the immortal line:

"Well, can you prove it [i]didn't[/i] happen?"
View Quote

Ya well, in "Plan 9 From Outer Space", they didn't have photographic evidence. Click the link in the original post. You will see the photo circulated by US forces. The guy in the photo has 2 eyes. The Mulluh has 1 eye. He still probably sees better than most of the posters here.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
One eye or not, it doesn't prove they circulated the wrong pic.  Remember that many pics are old anyway.  Was he missing an eye or blinded in an eye?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One eye or not, it doesn't prove they circulated the wrong pic.  Remember that many pics are old anyway.  Was he missing an eye or blinded in an eye?  
View Quote

Gosh, why don't you do a 3 minute search and see for yourself??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top