Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 1:43:57 AM EDT
So I can  play games, like Black Hawk Down  between me and the kids?
Is this something I can do myself, or does it take someone with a little experience?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
To play games on the internet, a router would be easiest. It splits your internet connection so many people can use one line. There won't be any actual network between the two, but both computers will be able to access the same internet game server.

I have my two computers linked using a Netgear hub and 2 network cards. I still haven't found a way to get the two computers to see each other in a video game though. I think you may have to set one of them up as a server.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Just pick up a cross-over ethernet cable.  You local computer store should have 'em.  It'll cost you around 10.00.  This will only allow the two PCs to see each other, if you want to do the internet sharing that Sodie mentioned, I would go with a Linksys router, and those run anyway from 50 - 150.  If you need any help, send me an email.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#3]
2 nics and a router, and yes there is a network between the computer but u need to set it up in the settings

with internet games some problems will arise
1. many many games do not allow multiple connections from one IP address, can get another one from cable ISP but will cost you a few extra bucks.

2. Games that do allow multiple connections sometimes requires multiple copies/keys/codes of/for the game IE half-life
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#4]
This explains quite a bit.....

[url]http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top