Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2002 10:31:35 AM EDT
I didn't want to hijack JAFO's thread, but it reminded me of why I support my local FFL.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=148258[/url]

I am a capitalist at heart.  When I buy any product (guns or otherwise) I look to the value of the product.  Does it meet my needs, can I afford it and what other services can I expect after the sale from where I purchased it.  

My local FFL has been in the business of selling firearms and associated bits longer than I have been of legal age to purchase or possess firearms.  So, I could probably reasonably say that he "doesn't need my business".  However, I do need his business.

He always treats me with respect and there is a mutual friendship between the two of us.  I have bought ammo from him on many occasions, but have yet to purchase a firearm from him, yet.  He serviced my HBar for nothing while I was away on a business trip.  He always offers a hot cup of coffee when I enter his store and allows me the honor of "being in back" to fill my own cup.

He is always available for advise (firearms related or not) when I was looking at a new career path.

It may be cheaper in the short term to buy my ammo at Wal-Mart/KMart/etc.  It may be cheaper to purchase my next few guns from elsewhere.  No where I could purchase a cheaper handgun would have the same level of service I get from my local FFL.

Yes, I will save a few bucks buying my shotgun, rifle and handgun from somewhere else - but the money is going towards the pre and post sale support I have gotten from him.  He's earned it and I am happy to pay him for it.

Thanks, Tom.

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I see where you're comming from, and I will do the same if I find one that doesn't charge double for ammo, and doesn't remind me of a used car salesmen...

Our "dealers" will pull stuff out their ass when they don't have an answer for ya, it's obvious!  A few of the dealers coudn't even tell me what a pre-ban is...

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I support my local dealer as far as I can.  I buy firearms and certain accessories.  Reloading supplies are a different story.  I can't justify spending $8-$10 more for a pound of powder or carton of primers.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I only get stuff from my local FFL when it is a must need ASAP. Or I only go there when I can't find it cheaper or they happen to have it at the same price as online (rare).
Most of the time, I can get stuff offline still cheaper (and that's shipped too).  

My "regular" FFL (transfers, so forth) is a different story.  He's my buddy and I'd buy a gun from him any day.... but he out of biz now, so back to online and transfering in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top