Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2002 10:00:02 AM EDT
I recently bought a new 2002 Ram 1500 4 door 4WD truck, and I love it.

Questions though...

What are the options re: tonneau covers?  I'd love to have a cover, (keep rifle cases and such dry and out of view) but it has to be something I can remove fairly easily to haul big stuff when I want to.  Is fabric snap-down the only option?

I'd also like a box in the back to keep things secure.  This could be either in addition to, or in lieu of the tonneau cover.  My truck is graphite gray, and I don't think shiny diamond plate would look good.  Other options?  This may be a dumb question but are those boxes screwer into the siderails?

Also, I see people that change the exhaust systems on their trucks.  Does this serve a PURPOSE other than looking and sounding cool?  As you can tell, I'm not a "car guy" so I don't need to bolt anything on just to impress the girls.

Does it affect gas mileage, warranty, etc.?

Thanks very much for any help you can render.  Pics and links would be great too!

dd
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Most exhaust systems are installed just to make their car sound cooler.  In fact alot of people actually tune the exhaust till it sounds like they want it to sound.  Of course most rice rockets with them installed just sound like really loud blenders, can't stand it.  

There are some you can get good ones that will increase tourque along with the sound.  If you really want to soup it up, get a dual exhaust system and a better catalytic converter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Pace Edwards ( http://www.paceedwards.com ) and Roll-N-Lock ( http://www.roll-n-lock.com ) make some nice retractable hard-top bed covers. They don't take up much space in the front of the bed when they're retracted.

Your local Tractor Supply Co. ( http://www.tractorsupplyco.com ) store is a good place to check out a  decent selection of toolboxes. Unlike on some other items they sell, their toolbox prices are pretty reasonable, too.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of cutting off and throwing away an almost-new exhaust system, just to (hopefully) get a more pleasing tone and maybe a couple of extra horsepower . On an older vehicle that already NEEDS a new exhaust system, it makes more sense. Flowmaster and Borla tend to be very overpriced for the materials and construction quality they use, while Dynomax has a good reputation for quality at a reasonable price.

(edited, since this board doesn't seem to like hot links today!)
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.paceedwards.com[/url]

[url]www.roll-n-lock.com[/url]

[url]www.tractorsupplyco.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top