Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2002 8:09:22 AM EDT
I know this is a little goofy, but I need some advice from someone in the Infantry, and especially anyone in the 101st Air Assault.  My son James is in the 101st.

I'd like to buy James a camelback water carrier.  He has said that most guys have them, but he can't seem to get one.  Last time we talked about it, he said the PX was out.  He has no transportation of his own to go off and find one, and we'd like to give him one for his birthday, coming up soon.

Is there a particular model I should get?  I don't want to get something that won't work with his pack, or wouldn't be allowed for whatever reason.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.camelback.com/mil/cb_act.cfm?id=10[/url]

It all depends on the style.  Some are water storage only and others are backpacks w/ water storage.  If you do a search on here (ar15.com), I think lots of people complained about Camelback leaking water.  This might have been countermeasured on their newer products.  Anyhow, I bought the Blackhawk Hydrastorm because people mentioned it doesn't leak.  After owning and using one, I highly recommend it.  

[url]http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_catalog.asp?cat_id=46[/url]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
He'll probably be better off with a "water-only" version.  He won't need the back-pack stuff, as Uncle Sam already gave him a ruck[;)] He can just attatch it to his ruck or whatever, but there's no reason for him to have to lug a second pack around, especially if he just want's to lug the water.  

I've seen both the "Stealth" and "Thermobak" issued by units that bought them with funds for deployments.  They are good stand alone systems that allow you to still stuff it in your pack, or attatch it to the outside.

I'd ask him what version his buddies in his unit are using.  Odds are someobdy's already "broken the code" the hard way as to what version works or not.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get them at a lot of bicycle shops (even the camo ones). Here are some of the cheaper places on the net. By the way, stick with Camelback (not some knockoff).

[url]www.pricepoint.com[/url]
[url]www.jensonusa.com[/url]
[url]www.nashbar.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Our unit issues the Thermobak 3L version. Yep, they leak, our supply guys had about 20 or so turned back in out of a company's worth. They sell in our PX for fifty or so dollars, but it's $120 or so thru our supply shop.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#5]
try this link to lightfighter.com. these guys have a shop near Ft Campbell. [url]http://www.lightfighter.com/generic.html?pid=21[/url]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Find out from him what the rest of his unit wears. I just vacationed with the Army and the a Coast Guard PSU.  They had a selection of Blackhawk tactical and Camelbacks, most Army liked the extra pockets of one of the higher end camelbacks, but a lot of guys used the BlackHawk assault vest with a pocket for the waterbag in the back, also expensive.

Oh, and dont forget to find out desert or woodland camo, woodland is more useful at home,, desert in the field these days.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Camel Bak is not compatible with a gas mask drinking tube- yet.  Anyone know when they plan to release the adapter???  Hopefully before I go to Iraq!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the responses.  I found a HydraStorm Torrent at OneStopKnifeShop and its on the way.

You can see it [url=http://www.1sks.com/store/hydrastorm-torrent.html]HERE.[/url]  How did I do?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Camelbak "MULE" is what they had at the post clothing and sales a couple of years ago. I paid ~$65.00 for it. I agree, ask him which one he wants.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up A Camelbak Motherload (their biggest) for about $105 earlier this spring.  It uses the 100oz Omega reservoir and works great.  The Motherlode is like a patrol ruck, with a large water pocket in the very back, a large gear pocket in front of that, and a medium and small pocket on the outside/front.  Very nice unit, but it might not be the tool for an infantryman who's also got to carry a ruck.  If he wants one in his ALICE rucksack, he should look at one of the 100/102oz units that have their own cover, or a small backpack unit that will fit in his ruck and can also be used independently with just the standard LBE.  For that, I'd recommend the Thermobak (100oz/3l).  There is also a protective mask (NBC) adapter kit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#13]
make sure to buy it from somewhere like Lightfighter.com because you cannot get the military colors at places like Sports Authority etc. i got the HAWG at the PX it was $89 and i love it. i fill it 1/3 with ice 2/3 with water 10 hours in the desert later its still nice and cold. if you REALLY love him youll get him a camelback Pakteen and an Eagle airborne pack to put it in!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top