Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2002 4:19:08 PM EDT
My wife and I saw "Red Dragon" last night, and something struck me.  I don't know if anyone else has noted this, but in the movie the FBI profiler lecturing the cops tells them that the killer isn't going to just stop, he's going to keep on killing.  He's asked: "Why?"  He replied, "Because it makes him God.  Would YOU give that up?"

Just recently we were told that the shooter left a Tarot card marked:  "Mr. Policeman: I am God."

I guess he saw it, and agreed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ahhhh, the old debate.  Was it the NRA or Hollywood that created another monstrous killer? I find both positions a little ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Um, I never even brought up the idea that Hollywood "created" the MD shooter, just that he saw the movie and used the line.

For that matter, the movie opened on the 4th.  The shootings started on the 2nd.  (Unless the liquor store shooting was, in fact, #1)
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It wouldn't surprise me if there was some connection, but I doubt it.  Just like the guy in the movie said, it gives them a kind of God-like power that is probably more addicting than crack, so they won't give it up.  They just continue to get that high till they get caught (and hopefully killed).
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife and I saw "Red Dragon" last night, and something struck me.  I don't know if anyone else has noted this, but in the movie the FBI profiler lecturing the cops tells them that the killer isn't going to just stop, he's going to keep on killing.  He's asked: "Why?"  He replied, "Because it makes him God.  Would YOU give that up?"

Just recently we were told that the shooter left a Tarot card marked:  "Mr. Policeman: I am God."

I guess he saw it, and agreed.
View Quote

I consider it [b]much[/b] more likely that some middle school kids saw the movie and decided that it would be cool/funny to put that card there.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually some police officer said he thought the sniper would feel like God having someone in his sights.
The next day the Tarot card appeared.
One day they said the schools were safe, the next day, a student was shot.
Just yesterday, some official said for people to continue with their lives, gas up their cars. Now a gas station customer is shot.
The shooter is clearly very media oriented. I wouldn't be surprised if the police won't admit shootings are connected just to deny the shooter the media attention he craves.
(descending from soapbox)
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I had not seen Red Dragon yet, The movie Quote is very intresting...Very intresting indeed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top