Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2002 1:51:54 PM EDT
[url]www.msnbc.com/news/817678.asp?0cl=cR[/url]

You know, that .223 round is the perfect little killing machine - it'll rip a coffee-cup sized hole in you.

Also, and I was not aware of this, apparently the .223 was "very popular in Vietnam".

Edited to add that at the bottom of the article, there's a little poll on whether you'd recommend the article to others.  Apparently it's pretty highly rated - so everyone please go give it a "1".
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Irate e-mail sent to those bastards!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
From the noted firearms experts at the Washington Post...

"Gun manufacturers put a distinct number of spiraled longitudinal grooves -- ranging from four to about 20 -- in the barrel to help investigators determine whether bullets have been fired by a certain type and make of firearm."

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"Gun manufacturers put a distinct number of spiraled longitudinal grooves -- ranging from four to about 20 -- in the barrel to help investigators determine whether bullets have been fired by a certain type and make of firearm."
View Quote

Yeah, any accuracy increase you get with those grooves is purely coincidental.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
On the loose was a killer with a deadly eye and a powerful weapon. The shots have been fired from such long range—as far away as six football fields, police say—that there have been no eyewitnesses. And the aim has been near perfect. This is a “very skilled” marksman, says Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Special Agent Joe Riehl, saying it is quite possible the killer had been trained by the military or the police. Investigators believe the killer is using a powerful rifle, the kind issued by armed forces and law enforcement.
View Quote

Hmmmm 600 yards! Crap the 55gr bullet just has enought energy to punch a hole at that distance. Let alone fragment. Ask any national match shooter about a .225 rem.
Shit man hire some people that know what the F*** they are talking about. I guess were lucky it isnt one of thoses Moly coated Ultra-Super velocity hollow point tungstion tipped depleated urainum rounds. You know the ones you can buy at Walmart.
Maby I should send them a Quarter so they can buy a clue?[%|]
(sorry for the spelling errors..Damn spell checker is not working)
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
All this anti-gun misinformation, distortion of facts and embellishment doesn't even faze me anymore. Been there, done that. The media is simply going to write what they want sacrificing journalistic integrity for sales and viewership.

What does bug me about this particular piece of "journalism" is the hypocrisy it displays... starting with the title: "A Killer’s Deadly Aim". It only goes downhill from there with stuff like "And when it’s in the wrong hands, the .223-caliber bullet can be a perfect killing machine, ripping holes the size of coffee cups"..."the shots were almost surely fired by an expert, as if picking off clay  pigeons a single round at a time"... "what
sets this spree apart, and makes it especially terrifying, is the combination of skilled marksmanship with utter randomness"... ad nauseam.

Then they have the audacity to conclude with "Trying to restore some sense of calm,
officials by Friday were urging people to get on with their usual routines, like going to high-school football games. And so teams did square off on the gridiron, eager to forget for a while the rampage that has so spooked the region."

After reading an article like this, it's no wonder people are "spooked" and afraid to step outdoors.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow. It's sad I guess that some people will believe this crap.  The rifling is what makes a rifle a rifle instead of a smoothbore musket for crying out loud.  And it's been that way for 100 years.  Reading that you would also think that they are trying to make another point to further their gun control agenda, well I guess it could also be ignorance, stupidity, etc.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't fall into the trap that these "journalists" are stupid or uninformed.  Many indeed are ignorant about firearms, but any knowledge they do possess will be and is used to further an anti-gun agenda.  

They thrive on sensationalism and inciting fear in the massess.  It sells papers and promotes their idea of a "safe world."  (that is, a world without guns).  

No, they fully intend to capitalize on the general public's lack of knowledge about guns and weapons in general and ballistics specifically.  

I'd be willing to bet that many of the assheads writing these pieces are at least aware of information counter to what they reported but choose to ignore it to go for shock value that just coincidentally furthers their cause.    

They count on the stupidity of the American public to push their agenda--same shit, different day.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I finally saw a somewhat decent story on the local news.  It appears that the media is going to the local gun ranges around here to shoot some video on "potential weapons used by the sniper".  The range operators were pretty dament in saying that the weapon was most likely a scoped bolt-action rifle versus a semi-automatic rifle.  They did they obligatory gallon-water bottle and pumpkin shots and the story ended with one of the anchors showing a .223 cartridge-on-a-keychain which they overpaid for at the range.

A bit sensationalized but it's the fairest shake I've seen the media give in quite awhile.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I was so pissed I didn't make it past the header.
Is this a 'creative writing' project?? WTF?

I atleast need to go back and take the poll.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I get a boot of the'favorite choice in Vietnam' part. Gee, they really gave you a choice, right?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Very popular in Vietnam?.  I wasn't alive back then but, the Army never asked me what caliber I prefer when I joined the service.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Irate e-mail sent to those bastards!
View Quote

Me too.  God, what morons. [pissed]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I just sent the editor an angry email at [email protected]

Man crap like that just should not be published.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]
It's all so sad.

What makes these bullets want to kill people? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember to scroll to the bottom of that story and rate it a "1"
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I move we introduce this media "expert testimony" into the various lawsuits against gun manufacturers! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
From the article:
This is a “very skilled” marksman, says Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Special Agent Joe Riehl, saying it is quite possible the killer had been trained by the military or the police.
View Quote

So [b]that's[/b] where the "very skilled" shooters come from.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Yeah, didnt you know that??

[b]PUH[/b]LEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I just really like how they describe the area where a few of the victims were killed...

"...took place in Montgomery County, upscale and suburban, a place where there are usually only two murders a month. "

TWO MURDERS A MONTH?  holy cow!  That doesn't sound so upscale and safe, now does it??
IIRC, the ANNUAL total for Austin (TX) is something like 7-12 a year.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought the 6.5mm Carcano was the magic bullet? Oh my...I have so much magic in my shop......
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

TWO MURDERS A MONTH?  holy cow!  That doesn't sound so upscale and safe, now does it??
IIRC, the ANNUAL total for Austin (TX) is something like 7-12 a year.  
View Quote

Oakland, CALIFORNIA, (in one of the most gun-controlled cities in one of most gun-controlled states, where every other bus has a sign telling you that a gun will tack on five years) probably  has that many murders in some weeks. I went looking for the YTD figure amd found this little tidbit:

Israel (Oakland police Capt. Jeff Israel)admits property crime in hill neighborhoods has risen, as has property crime across the country. Residents in those neighborhoods, therefore, should act as their own guardians, he said.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
My favorite part reads:

One gun expert says the .223 was “very popular in Vietnam.”
View Quote

Last time I read the history books, I found out that it wasn't popular at all, not to mention the troops didn't have a goddamn choice in any bullet!

WTF does a popularity contest in vietnam have to do with the bullet anyway?  

Oh yeah, when do you think the gestapo will start ordering registration?  Who will register and be market with your "gun owner barcode?"  (Sign of the beast?) [:)]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Israel (Oakland police Capt. Jeff Israel)admits property crime in hill neighborhoods has risen, as has property crime across the country. Residents in those neighborhoods, therefore, should act as their own guardians, he said.

View Quote

With what?

Bricks? A good length of pipe?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oakland, CALIFORNIA, (in one of the most gun-controlled cities in one of most gun-controlled states, where every other bus has a sign telling you that a gun will tack on five years) probably  has that many murders in some weeks. I went looking for the YTD figure amd found this little tidbit:

View Quote

Well thats California, no offense, but what are you doing in that piss hole?.  That is seriously the most f**ked up state ever.  Move away, far far away.  Their dragging the rest of us down with them and I can't stand it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#26]
"was very popular in Viet Nam"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!
Not with the VC or NVA!
I've heard our troops, mostly, were quite charmed by it.
Of course, the opposing fellows were particularly enamoured by the 7.62x39 caliber.
In most firefights, I have heard, there was 'nary a caliber that would have been a "wallflower caliber" when the chips were down. Even the .45 caliber was chosen on occasion when the .223 was in short supply. Also, the "pig" generally loved the .308 caliber and used her in great numbers...quite quickly I might add.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow. It's sad I guess that some people will believe this crap.  The rifling is what makes a rifle a rifle instead of a smoothbore musket for crying out loud.  And it's been that way for 100 years.  Reading that you would also think that they are trying to make another point to further their gun control agenda, well I guess it could also be ignorance, stupidity, etc.....
View Quote

[b]BAN[/b] rifled barrels now!  
Do it for the children [>(]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Except most lies and misinformation is created from at least some truth. Fragmenting .223 rounds can indeed rip a coffee cup size [b]exit[/b] wound in the lower torso at short range if the round fragments significantly. Definitely not a 600 yards/meters though, 50-100 yards at most.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Actually, if it fragments properly, there won't be an exit wound at all.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top