Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2002 7:37:24 AM EDT
A while back, the Violence Policy Center issued one of their "reports" on the dangers of the evil "sniper rifle" entitled "[i]One Shot, One Kill: Civilian Sales of Military Sniper Rifles[/i]."  It concentrated primarily on the .50BMG rifles, but it also detailed what it called "intermediate range" sniper rifles, such as the .338 Lapua Magnum.  It also discussed  rifles that the industry lables as "tactical."  For example:
Sniper rifles are radically different from standard hunting rifles. Sniper rifles are “purpose-designed” and “purpose-built” weapons of war. This terminology is used in the firearms literature to describe weapons that are made for a specific narrow purpose, in this case for sniping—highly accurate firing on a target from a significant distance. Jane’s Defence Weekly, for example, draws this distinction very clearly, explaining, “sniper rifles fall into two broad categories: modified versions of standard military or sporting rifles and purpose-designed weapons.”
No single feature marks this special class of purpose-designed and purposebuilt sniper rifles. Rather, the true sniper rifle is an amalgam of specific design features that make it “a bit better in many ways than its off-the-rack cousins to be an overall significantly more accurate weapon,” according to Maj. John L. Plaster (USAR), who is perhaps the preeminent sniper authority writing in the gun press today. “To build a sniper rifle,” observes Adrian Gilbert, another expert writer on the subject, “the manufacturer must use only the finest materials, ensure that tolerances are fined down to a minimum, and impose a draconian level of quality control.”  

Such “purpose-designed” and “purpose-built” sniper rifles are designed and manufactured for the purpose of killing human beings at more than five times the range hunters shoot deer, and to destroy “materiel” targets such as light armored vehicles and aircraft at distances of more than a mile.
View Quote
So it appears that the VPC considered a "sniper rifle" as any scoped rifle capable of MOA accuracy at ranges in [i]excess[/i] of 400 yards  Note that the shooter [b]is[/b] using a .223, at ranges [i]less[/i] than 400 yards, and the VPC is out in front shouting about [i]sniper rifles[/i] - in direct contradiction to their published position:
The gun industry offers on the civilian market a plethora of military sniper rifles chambered in the civilian equivalent of standard military infantry rounds. Since these calibers are identical to those used in many hunting rifles, it is especially important in some cases to focus on the purpose of the weapon’s design and manufacture.

One of the most popular of these is the .308 Winchester round, the civilian equivalent of the 7.62x51mm round, the standard NATO infantry rifle round from the 1950s to the 1980s. In the early 1980s, NATO followed the U.S. lead and adopted the smaller 5.56x45mm round as its standard infantry rifle round. The smaller round, sold as .223 in the civilian market, was developed for use in assault rifles like the M-16. [red]It has never gained acceptance as a sniping round, because it is generally not believed to have adequate striking power over the long ranges at which snipers operate.[/red]

Some imports from Russia and other former Soviet bloc countries are chambered in a 7.62x54R Soviet infantry round. Some manufacturers and importers offer military sniper rifles chambered in other popular commercial rifle rounds like the .243 Winchester. Older military surplus sniper rifles are also available on the civilian market in a variety of civilian calibers. These include, for example, sniper versions of the M1903 Springfield and M-1 Garand, the U.S. Army’s standard infantry rifles for the First and Second World Wars respectively, in .30-06.
View Quote
There you have it.  Any rifle capable of hitting a target at any range is a "sniper rifle," according to the VPC.  

Ban 'em all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
no surprises there, Kbaker...

When do you know the VPC is lying?  When their lips are moving.  (or when they WRITE anything)

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been led to believe that any gun capable of hitting a pumpkin at 100 yds is a high-powered, assault/sniper rifle.  It does however take years of experience to make these long range and accurate shots however.  These rifles feature 'grooves' in the barrel to spin the bullet really fast.  Such rifles are engineered to deliver a bullet to the precise spot where the shooter aims.  This is because killer/snipers require '1 shot, 1 kill' accuracy.  Typical deer hunters only shoot their game at 1/5 of that distance, or about 20 yds.  Deer hunters must also use far less powerful ammo then the .223, otherwise we'd have known about it by now!

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe this will finally wake up the fence sitting hunter types when they realize the anti-gunners are coming for their .308s and .30-06s.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]
If a guy shoots a mule deer at 300+ yards, does that mean any sniper rifle he owns is good at 1,500+yards. I don't think so. The so called VPC experts are really ex-spurts, which means they are drips or the better part of them (and the VPC) ran down someone's leg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top