Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2013 4:06:58 PM EDT
Oyster Perpetual Quest. Has small diamonds in the numbers. I really can't remember how long ago I bought it but it's been a LONG time. It doesn't work [wind] but it other wise in decent shape with the original band. I think I got it while garage saleing.

Worth fixing and selling or just selling?

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
send it back to rolex get a quote on repair.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
send it back to rolex get a quote on repair.  

Once again, FPNI.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Fpni
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The watch is likely worth thousands and can be repaired for a few hundred. Plus when you send a watch back to Rolex for repair, they polish the metal to make it look new again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Tree-fiddy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Rolex will rebuild it(The Movement) for around $450

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The watch is likely worth thousands and can be repaired for a few hundred. Plus when you send a watch back to Rolex for repair, they polish the metal to make it look new again.

It can be repaired but not for a few hundred dollars. A certified Rolex repair will not be less than $450.00.  Some certified Rolex Dealers have in house repair. Check around your area and ask people who have used he service. If you do get it repaired by Rolex it will have a warranty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
It is worth something twice a day  

Hong Kong Fake
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
What do you think you paid for it? You sure it's legit?
Quoted:

Quoted:

It can be repaired but not for a few hundred dollars. A certified Rolex repair will not be less than $450.00.  Some certified Rolex Dealers have in house repair. Check around your area and ask people who have used he service. If you do get it repaired by Rolex it will have a warranty.

My dad's sub had a tune up and a few minor things done a year or two ago at Rolex US in Manhattan. I think the bill was almost 500.00.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's real, it's worth something.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What do you think you paid for it? You sure it's legit?

Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad's sub had a tune up and a few minor things done a year or two ago at Rolex US in Manhattan. I think the bill was almost 500.00.

That's actually cheap for a service for a Sub.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
A basic Rolex service is $350.00 and that's if nothing is wrong.  A crystal replacement is $125.00 + Labor.  If the watch is stolen and you bought it at a garage sale, don't expect it back.  Rolex will not repair, service, or send back a stolen Rolex.  If it's a counterfeit or "homage" watch, they pursue their copyright with a vengeance.  I have never heard of a "Quest" model.  I could be wrong.  Can you post some photos?  

That said, if it is an authentic Rolex, it will have some value depending on the model, accessories, condition, and collector value.  Boxes and papers enhance the value to collectors.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, if your watch is too old, they may not service it at all.  You have to call the RSC and give them the serial number.  They will give you an estimate for specific services, but if you do not know what is wrong with the watch, you will have to send it in to them for an estimate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Post pictures of the watch. If you bought it at a garage sale and it does not work then my guess is the watch is not a genuine Rolex.

jonblack
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
If the winder does not work then try shaking the watch for about 1 minute. The second hand should start sweeping. If it starts ticking (not sweeping) then it is not genuine.

jonblack
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Pics?
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Take it to a local Jeweler to see if it is real.

Then send it to a Rolex Service Center.

You might run into problems if you send it to a Rolex Service Center if it has a aftermarket dial on it.

They will not service the watch with the aftermarket dial on it..

Numerous jewelers sell aftermarket dials for half the price of a original Rolex dial.

The Rolex Service Center will service it if they replace the dial with a original Diamond Rolex dial..  

So be ready to add that additional cost to your bill..

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This.

You definitely want to send it out, the small investment will bring a handsome return.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oyster Perpetual Quest. Has small diamonds in the numbers. I really can't remember how long ago I bought it but it's been a LONG time. It doesn't work [wind] but it other wise in decent shape with the original band. I think I got it while garage saleing.

Sure it's not a fake?
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Oyster Perpetual Quest

If this is the model, it is likely a fake.

Post a pic....

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Nah, when I bought it for $28 in Pusan, the guy on the street corner said it was the real thing.

I would have bought one, but since I was flying military in and out, and they were making some really really dreadful threats about smuggling, customs declarations, etc.  So I decided not to.  Plus I figured I'd get shot by a gangsta who thought it was the real thing and wanted it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Probably not a real Rolex. Does the second hand sweep the dial, or does it tick?
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hong Kong Fake

I don't think it's fake, isn't there a serial number inside the back?

The crystal on the face does magnify the date.

Could it be fake? Sure...........I didn't pay much for it and it was in a box with a bunch of other older watches. It's pretty damn well made though and heavy for it's size.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oyster Perpetual Quest

If this is the model, it is likely a fake.

Post a pic....

Agree
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hong Kong Fake

Could it be fake? Sure...........I didn't pay much for it and it was in a box with a bunch of other older watches. It's pretty damn well made though and heavy for it's size.

Looked at what it says on the face again with a magnifying glass [hey, I'm 50....]

Oyster perpetual Datejust

Superlative Commutator ? officially Certified.

There is a crown where the clasp is that you pull up to release the band.

I think I paid $10 or so a decade or two ago, it was an estate sale as I can remember right, I bought a couple things and just tossed it in a drawer and sort of forgot about it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hong Kong Fake

Looked at what it says on the face again with a magnifying glass [hey, I'm 50....]

Oyster perpetual Datejust

Superlative Commutator ? officially Certified.

There is a crown where the clasp is that you pull up to release the band.

I think I paid $10 or so a decade or two ago, it was an estate sale as I can remember right, I bought a couple things and just tossed it in a drawer and sort of forgot about it.

A ladies datejust with a diamond dial should be worth several thousand easy.

Serial number should be under the band on the side of the case. There should also be a model number. (Band must be removed to see the numbers)
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Open it up and drop a seagull auto movement in it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Standard service about $600.
Will probably need more.
If it's real, it's worth doing though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#31]
The serial number and Reference Number (Model) are between the case lugs:

The back of the case should have no writing or markings on it.  

Please post a pic of the darn thing!!!!

Face of the watch, the back, the crown and the band/buckle.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Fix it. I have several rolexes, all have been back home once. I could sell them and buy a house, and I paid almost nothing for them by comparison.

Probably not much wrong with yours, actually.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The serial number and Reference Number (Model) are between the case lugs:

http://clockmaker.com.au/rolex_serial_number2.jpg

Removed band, nothing I can see under either side so fakee. Oh well, life goes on, glad I didn't waste any money on it.

Appreciate the info all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top