Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have two younger cousins who love AR15s only because of video games.  Neither is remotely into the outdoors, but love going shooting.  

The one is a hell of a pistol shot.

It always freaks me out a bit when I take some complete n00b to the range and they proceed to punch the x-ring out of the target, then look at me and go "now what?"

Has only happened two or three times, but still
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The original Rainbow Six games got me into guns for sure.

I always liked the Prague Opera House mission.

That's Rogue Spear
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm genuinely surprised at how many people voted for the first three option.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Speaking of which, back in 1959, over 60% of Americans favored banning handguns. Now that only has 26% support as of 2011 (Gallup).

Per Gallup, there have been similar changes over time with regards to polling on banning semi-automatic rifles (less support over time).

I tend to think that's a change we owe to guns being in popular movies/videogames.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150341/record-low-favor-handgun-ban.aspx

The low point of  RKBA approval was 1968-1970. A majority of Americans supported the banning of handguns and semi-autos following  the murders of King and RFK. The NRA was only championing sporting purposes and  most Republicans were OK with more gun laws as they were reacting to seeing the Black Panthers openly carrying...we're lucky that laws didn't get much worse,Nixon was very anti-gun and a national registry and semi-auto ban were left on his progressive agenda that got cut short.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Those polling numbers indicate how important games and other such media is in steering gun owners towards black rifles. :)
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
More like CoD is the best thing to happen to AR accessories sales.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Agreed, and the same goes for movies with guns, to some extent.

There's a reason the left is always crying about the portrayals of guns in movies/videogames.

It sells guns and creates new gun owners.

Seems to me it's usually the cultural conservatives on the right who complain more about that.

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
More like CoD is the best thing to happen to AR accessories sales.

There's a lot of truth to that.  I got to see what a lot of different scopes looked like free of charge, especially those that weren't available locally.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Got into guns after I was taught  back in middle school about our constitutional rights.  Man was growing up eye opening
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I got into the 2A and guns because I felt I needed to protect my family.(dad died when I was young) got a 12 ga 870 and instantly love guns got my Ar 15 in college even though I play video games I always wanted one because of my step brothers and there obession with guns
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
If I hadn't played way too much Counterstrike  way back in the day when it was a Half Life  mod I probably never would have gotten into firearms.

Getting into airsoft in my early twenties sealed the deal.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
COD lets Me shoot and train in squad commands and maneuvers without costing ammo.

Team Death Match FTW

Hi to all the ( 1 ) 's

bs, nobody in call of duty has ever worked as a team  

Was about to post this.

Maybe if you play with a bunch of random people.

I have at least 20-25 Arfcom player friends and We all have our loadout and position location for each map.
We all know what the others are going to do and how to play it
We communicate and hold one side of the map and pawn all the others till they leave or loose.
If someone goes down, another team member moves into his spot till He respawns to take His location back over.
We have a few dedicated Snipers, Machine gunners, Riflemen and Runners.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Been into guns after Pong but before Duck Hunter.

The real first, first person shooter game.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Adam Lanza said that COD was the reason he got his mother interested in shooting firearms.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Best thing?  No.

A positive force for gun rights?  Yep.

This is where I stand. It sure doesnt hurt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd say Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was a big influencer for me. I totally agree with this premise. There is a huge contingent of new shooters who have been introduced to guns through games and movies.

There are still servers up and running for that game

One of the all time great games
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I was into shooting long before I played my first FPS.  I grew up hunting and shooting for fun/practice.  (Thanks Dad)

But, I was only mildly interested in pistols or black rifles prior to Call of Duty.  I've got a serious fixation now.  Added an AK and an AR, multiple handguns and rimfire rifles.  My wish list is way bigger than my budget.    I still like hunting and those sporting firearms but now I have a growing collection of military types and a mini ammo fort.  Call of Duty played a role but it's not the only reason.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Adam Lanza said that COD was the reason he got his mother interested in shooting firearms.....

If video games and movies cause gun violence, why isn't there comedy in the streets?
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Red Dawn 1984 for me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If video games and movies cause gun violence, why isn't there comedy in the streets?

You're teaching them about instant respawn and base rape?
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I grew up with guns, served in the mil, then became a pc gamer for about 6-7yrs. Now I just work, raise my kids and train. I enjoy teaching my kids and nothing would make me happier than to be able to send my kids to carbine classes, pistol and shotgun classes and getting them into IDPA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it did a little. This generation 20 somethings and for sure the young teens now. Every teenage cod or battlefield player dreams of one day owning an acog lol. I think of it like what the matrix did for the deasert eagle or gone in 60 seconds did with eleanor. And one day I will own both damn it
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ghost Recon taught me how to identify a lot of firearms.  ArmaI-III was a good resource in how to use them :)

Ghost Recon taught me you could silently eliminate squads with an MP5SD at the same effective range as .300 Win Mag
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#26]
really i read this thread and i'm thinking...... who really gives a fuck how you got here, i'm just glad to have ya.. and FBHO dude.

eta: last video game i played
http://halo.bungie.net/stats/PlayerStatsHalo2.aspx?player=DiRtYMeATcURtiN&ctl00_mainContent_bnetpgl_recentgamesChangePage=1
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I may or may not have an AUG due to Counter Strike, but I was into guns long before I played a video game which had a gun. There are several other guns I want due to video games, but either can't afford them or can't have them due to NFA/importation laws.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I will say that I was into guns well before I started playing shooters, but seeing the names of guns in them fueled it.

Seeing all these guns in movies and at stores and not knowing the names was frustrating. I remember playing Rainbow Six and seeing the HKMP5/K/SD and the USP/Mk23 and MGS had a Mk23 SOCOM and recognizing them from other media. Those propelled me a little more into researching what I could back in the mid-early nineties when I wasn't even 10 yet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking of which, back in 1959, over 60% of Americans favored banning handguns. Now that only has 26% support as of 2011 (Gallup).

Per Gallup, there have been similar changes over time with regards to polling on banning semi-automatic rifles (less support over time).

I tend to think that's a change we owe to guns being in popular movies/videogames.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150341/record-low-favor-handgun-ban.aspx

The low point of  RKBA approval was 1968-1970. A majority of Americans supported the banning of handguns and semi-autos following  the murders of King and RFK. The NRA was only championing sporting purposes and  most Republicans were OK with more gun laws as they were reacting to seeing the Black Panthers openly carrying...we're lucky that laws didn't get much worse,Nixon was very anti-gun and a national registry and semi-auto ban were left on his progressive agenda that got cut short.

I wish more people would take note of this, combined with the recent defeat of the Senate's latest attempt to pass another Federal gun bill. On the Federal level, we are winning.

(States are a different matter...)

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#30]
COD has been useful in leading to conversations about guns with some of the younger "city kids" I've worked with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tango Down!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I grew up in a "you never could trust a semi-auto" household.

Videogames are the exact reason that I got into WW2 guns, and then eventually, AR's and other modern weapons.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
COD lets Me shoot and train in squad commands and maneuvers without costing ammo.

Team Death Match FTW

Hi to all the ( 1 ) 's

Absolutely and utterly untrue. I was (still am, I guess) a member of a clan that ran our own tactical server. Real tactics, training nights, matches against other clans, none of the run-n-gun newbie bullshit that infuriates me about public servers. We had ranks & promotions, a CO, all organized like a Marine platoon. God I miss my old buds there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ghost Recon taught me how to identify a lot of firearms.  ArmaI-III was a good resource in how to use them :)

Ghost Recon taught me you could silently eliminate squads with an MP5SD at the same effective range as .300 Win Mag

After playing BF3, I feel confidant that I can snipe anyone in the head driving down a bumpy road in a dune buggy from 500m out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#36]
It must have been the first or second Modern warfare that pushed me into black rifles. I couldn't get over how awesome the FAL was. Generally it was a one shot kill if aimed properly and you could get some pretty long range shots with it.

Among owning other guns, I built my own Argentine FAL last summer and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If that was the case, I'd be spending my weekends dressed up like an Italian plumber busting the shit outta turtles and mushrooms

For me, I'd be an escaped con getting chased by guards through an abandoned mine full of gold.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd say Goldeneye is probably what got me interested in black guns.

this
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always liked the Prague Opera House mission.

The one where you had to slide and fire through the door at those guys in the stands? Hard level. Never got past the level where you couldn't shoot anyone.

"Burka-Burkburka, man down, man down, need back up now"
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I can say without a doubt that lots of kids now love EBR's that they never would know about otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't, and never have played these games, so I have a question for those who have:

Do you credit the games with inspiring a deep seated love and respect for liberty and The Constitution, or just for boosting some interest in the guns themselves?

I ask because, the latter is entirely possible, with zero understanding of the former.

From what I understand, in the games, the player is the occupying soldier, or the JBT, door kicker.  I worry that this will mistakenly foster the belief that these weapons are useful only for the military, on the battlefield.

The players may have difficulty making the leap from role playing, to the actual preservation of liberty.  

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the experience opens their minds, and brings them into the fold, but we mustn't be complacent in educating them on the real meaning and intention of the Second Amendment.  (if we can determine amongst our damned selves what that is )
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#42]
P90 sucks in counter-strike,I'd rather run a "eco" round and get a rifle at next.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I doubt it. Kids learning about weapons of the world, sure. Parents seeing their 8 year old "prodigy" killing insurgents, fucks everything.

Im not saying get rid of war games, but COD or anything else like it has not done much for pro 2A.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought my first AR15 because of MW2.  I wanted an ACR but they had not been released yet so I settled for the AR.  I now have an ACR and am determined to get the civi version of every assault rifle that I used in that game.  Some may think I'm dumb, but that is my goal and hopefully all of those weapons will still be available after I get done with med school.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I bought my first AR15 because of MW2.  I wanted an ACR but they had not been released yet so I settled for the AR.  I now have an ACR and am determined to get the civi version of every assault rifle that I used in that game.  Some may think I'm dumb, but that is my goal and hopefully all of those weapons will still be available after I get done with med school.

IMHO, that's not really any different than some of the old guys here developing a desire for a certain revolver based on having watched Dirty Harry, Simon&Simon, Starsky&Hutch, Gunsmoke, or The Lone Ranger.  A lot of guys like big-loop lever guns because they watched The Rifleman as a kid.  A lot of milsurp love was fostered by shows like Combat.

ETA:  I can't believe I forgot the role John Wayne westerns and war movie roles played in fostering that enthusiasm

So collect, and enjoy it, for your own purposes.  

It's incumbent upon you to make sure to educate your gaming friends, and get them involved in our deeper fight for preservation of the market, the 2A, The Constitution, and The Republic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 3:55:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Call of duty is ok. It's ok for just messing around, it's an arcade game period. Since being stuck on console having gotten out of pc gaming ~8 years ago, it sucks that they don't make a true realistic game for consoles. Everything is catered to ADHD 12 year olds. BF3 is probably the closed to realism in a game on console for me. I miss the old days playing America's Army on PC.

For those of you who still play pc games I advise you to check it out. It's probably the most realistic of the shooters out there, and it's a free download. There are no respawns and all of the weapons are realistic. The learning curve is a real bitch when ya first start because you die a lot, but once you learn how to stay alive and work with your team it's very fun and rewarding. Don't know if anyone else has played the older versions as I have but I'm sure the newer version is great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#47]
No, its the best thing to happen to airsoft though
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 4:00:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't, and never have played these games, so I have a question for those who have:

Do you credit the games with inspiring a deep seated love and respect for liberty and The Constitution, or just for boosting some interest in the guns themselves?

I ask because, the latter is entirely possible, with zero understanding of the former.

From what I understand, in the games, the player is the occupying soldier, or the JBT, door kicker.  I worry that this will mistakenly foster the belief that these weapons are useful only for the military, on the battlefield.

The players may have difficulty making the leap from role playing, to the actual preservation of liberty.  

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the experience opens their minds, and brings them into the fold, but we mustn't be complacent in educating them on the real meaning and intention of the Second Amendment.  (if we can determine amongst our damned selves what that is )

I found that in myself (a constitutional could care less teenager at the time) that it steered me towards firearms which then steered me towards resources such as AR15.com which then steered my views to a liberty loving constitution loving individual. To enjoy one of these firearms is to also seek out resources and ARFCOM is a huge resource and offers tons of opinions about liberty and freedom. These opinions rub off. They are further enforced when every few years the progressives attempt to limit our access to the weapons we have just begun to enjoy.

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Team Death Match FTW

Hi to all the ( 1 ) 's

No they don't.  There is a reason I do not play multiplayer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 4:15:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I didn't play them pussy ass video games.

Quake got me into guns.

I still bhop whenever I'm at the range.

That is another reason I do not play multiplayer.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top