Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2013 1:35:31 PM EDT

(AP) Russia detains 140 suspected Islamic extremists
MOSCOW

Russian police and security agents have detained 140 people at a mosque in Moscow on suspicion of involvement with Islamic extremism.

A statement from the Federal Security Agency reported by Russian news agencies said among those detained in the Friday action were 30 citizens of unspecified foreign countries.

The detentions come a week after the two suspects in the fatal Boston Marathon bombing were identified as originating from the Russian region of Chechnya and sympathizing with Islamic extremists.

There were no immediate reports of charges being filed. The security agency referred The Associated Press to a district office, where the telephone was not answered.

The reports cited the agency as saying the mosque previously has been visited by people who had been involved in preparing or carrying out terrorist attacks.

Discuss
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand I hate Islam with a passion but on the other hand just rounding someone up for being somewhere is not cool.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
we are a nation of laws....Russia, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand I hate Islam with a passion but on the other hand just rounding someone up for being somewhere is not cool.

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
We should send them some of our democrats to help the Russians understand why they hate us and how hating us is O.K.. Even if they want to kill some of us.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Russia plays by a different set of rules. They do what the hell they want. Remember the only rights you have is Russia is what they let you have.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no problem with this.

I'm not going to violate the CoC, no chance, no way, but it is my OPINION that the teachings of Islam are fundamentally

incompatible with the values and beliefs that this nation is founded upon,  and Islam has always been, is now, and shall

always remain a threat to us so long as we live and think according to those fundamental American values.

I certainly do not believe that any person or organization should ever be permitted to shield himself behind the very

thing he seeks to destroy....such as the freedom of religion as guaranteed by the First Amendment.
CJ

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
FSA at it again
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly, the Russians have a history of making folks "gone" that said, I would not trust any government with that much power.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Political totaliatarianism fighting religious totalitarianism...

...so, basically, a shit-glazed shit donut with creamy shit filling.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Some things are not actually freedoms, they are in fact probable cause.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

MOSCOW

Russian police and security agents have detained 140 people at a mosque in Moscow on suspicion of involvement with Islamic extremism.

A statement from the Federal Security Agency reported by Russian news agencies said among those detained in the Friday action were 30 citizens of unspecified foreign countries.

The detentions come a week after the two suspects in the fatal Boston Marathon bombing were identified as originating from the Russian region of Chechnya and sympathizing with Islamic extremists.

There were no immediate reports of charges being filed. The security agency referred The Associated Press to a district office, where the telephone was not answered.

The reports cited the agency as saying the mosque previously has been visited by people who had been involved in preparing or carrying out terrorist attacks.

Discuss

The abolition of ALL Religion is one of the ten tenants of Marxism.

As much as I deplore radical Islam, I hope this never happens in the US. That's not a place where I want to live.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Islam isn't a religion. I have no reservations about the government going from mosque to mosque and arresting everyone under suspicion of being a terrorist. THAT would be tax dollars well spent.

ETA: This isn't a COC violation. Is it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
1) Posting derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature.

You may express your opinion, but not in a derogatory manner.

I don't think Islam is compatible with American values.   I think it's INcompatible with those values.

But I won't insult it.  

There are many people who are Islamic and also are very good people.  I will not issue a blanket

condemnation of all of them over the deeds of a few of them who are NOT good people.

It's easy to say "I don't like it" and even explain why, in some detail, without running afoul of the CoC.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Would not go as expected in America.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

MOSCOW

Discuss

140 detainees released....from the air, over Chechnya.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Russia plays by a different set of rules. They do what the hell they want. Remember the only rights you have is Russia is what they let you have.

We are working on that here too.  Depending on the media slant or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

SPNI
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Islam isn't a religion. I have no reservations about the government going from mosque to mosque and arresting everyone under suspicion of being a terrorist. THAT would be tax dollars well spent.

ETA: This isn't a COC violation. Is it?

What is a religion then?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Have no fear. We will give them all student visa's so they can come here, not go to school and dissapear into the masses until a future date.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPNI

Russia is going to have a BBQ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top