Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2013 2:28:06 AM EDT
I always thought there'd be some advantage in having a "club" of some kind that rents a storage unit near the base/university/whatever. Members have a key to the unit, and an individual locker to store their firearm while at work. Anyone ever do this?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Carry anyway?  What's the point of locking it up - you may not have a chance to retrieve it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Carry anyway?  What's the point of locking it up - you may not have a chance to retrieve it.

Some places have metal detectors and such.  

ETA - Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting.  Though, can't you rent a locker at the gym?  (never been a member of one)
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the local shooting club would have something similar, but ATF thinks otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It's just not that important for my manly man status to ccw.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tell your Csgv friends It's not about being manly its about not being dead
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#6]
If the company has metal detectors why not just get a lockbox for your vehicle? Unless you're .mil no one has a reason to search.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
My company has no metal detectors.  
They DO have an active shooter policy.   It says hide.  
If they don't like me carrying they can replace me

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]
They did something like that (forget where) at a high school for cell phones.

Truck pulls up, parks and waits on the kids to come to school.  No cell phones allowed on school grounds, they banned them because the kids wouldn't stay off em.

So for a dollar they give the truck their phone and get a ticket, and when all the kids go inside, the truck goes where ever.  Comes back in time for the end of the school day, kids get their shit back.

Hundreds if not thousands of dollars a day lol.

I smell a new business idea .
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:52:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless you're .mil no one has a reason to search.

Not entirely true...

Pretty sure I would get my pee pee stomped if I carried past our checkpoint at a nuke plant. Odd thing is, I can carry out as far as the checkpoint, and can carry up to it...just can't cross it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:56:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the company has metal detectors why not just get a lockbox for your vehicle? Unless you're .mil no one has a reason to search.

Sometimes companies own the property that their facility is located on.  In this instance, anything on their property can be subject to their rules.  Many of us aren't willing to lose our jobs because of that.

Also, some publicly traded companies are federally protected, and security has every right to detain you and do a search...on the property.

Carrying at work, or even to and from, isn't always a simple thing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Were I used to work we were not even supposed to have firearms in our vehicles. I always figured BS and had it anyway.   I even carried inside a few times it was to stressful but it was after there was a shooting in the parking lot. Now self employed and always armed and I welcome other legally armed people and employees.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:05:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes companies own the property that their facility is located on.  In this instance, anything on their property can be subject to their rules.  Many of us aren't willing to lose our jobs because of that.

Also, some publicly traded companies are federally protected, and security has every right to detain you and do a search...on the property.

My company policy is no guns in the building or in your car unless you're a criminal of course.  I feel safe but you never know - I'd rather be armed with a pocket mouse gun at least.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You have my sympathy...I feel sorry for guys unable to get their permission slip.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't have to carry 24/7. If I get caught unarmed, shit happens
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:14:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Install a hidden lockbox or compartment to keep one at work too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:15:42 AM EDT
[#16]
If it's 200 yards away instead of 10 miles away, it is still just as useless.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Had the same idea five years ago , and was told by the ATF that I would need an FFL.  This would be due to the fact of people working long hours and maybe not having time to pick up the gun , or forget it.  Then it would have to be transfered back into the owners name.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:16:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I lock it in my truck. At work that's not "company property".
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:16:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My attitude is, it's better to be armed 75% of the time than zero percent. Armed at home, while shopping, driving to and from work... drop it off at the "club" when I get to work, pick it up on the way home.

It's no solution to work place violence of course, but at least you have something to and from work.

Here's an exercise for the student: Look around at your place of business and see how many "U-store-it" type places there are within a mile.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't have to carry 24/7. If I get caught unarmed, shit happens

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:34:50 AM EDT
[#21]
The return of the locker club outside every military base gate!
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.
a piece of private property across the street from such a company can be turned into a pay-to-park area, bypassing the gun prohibition.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  There may be consequences if you are made.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#24]
In Kenucky, it's illegal for an employer to tell employees they can't keep a weapon in their car on company property.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:52:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.
a piece of private property across the street from such a company can be turned into a pay-to-park area, bypassing the gun prohibition.

Another great thing about the Republic of Texas. Legislature last year passed law that allowed employees (for most businesses) to keep their weapons in their car while at work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

Another great thing about the Republic of Texas. Legislature last year passed law that allowed employees (for most businesses) to keep their weapons in their car while at work.

A certain company based in Irving Texas, is not covered by that law.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In Kenucky, it's illegal for an employer to tell employees they can't keep a weapon in their car on company property.

Same in Texas. I can't carry into the building (properly posted 30.06 signs), but I can leave it in the car.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

What type of business? Not the name, but why are they exempt?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My company has no metal detectors.  
They DO have an active shooter policy.   It says hide.  
If they don't like me carrying they can replace me

Fuck them.

A man after my own blood!
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My company policy is no guns in the building or in your car unless you're a criminal of course.  I feel safe but you never know - I'd rather be armed with a pocket mouse gun at least.

they passed a law in Florida ,companies can not prohibit employees from having guns in their cars in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

What type of business? Not the name, but why are they exempt?

Oil refining.

Oil refineries, electrical power generation (nuclear or otherwise), and some chemical plants are covered by the department of energy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top