Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2002 4:26:24 PM EDT
I finally decided to upgrade my desktop computer (Dell Precision Workstation 410 dual 550 Mhz P3) because it was getting flakey and needs a complete rebuild, wipe, and reinstall of the OS and applications (It started as NT4 Workstationa and has been upgraded multiple times, including betas, to its current Windows XP configuration).

I was just going to make the dual 1.2 GHz AMD desktop I use for testing my new primary computer, but decided I might as well build up a new computer, rather than start pulling multiple computers apart.

Anyway, I've ordered the following parts:

Intel Desktop Board D845EBG2 - $110
2.53 GHz P4 -$235 (price for the 2.8 GHz is morethan 2x)
1 GB DDR RAM - $230
ASUS V8440 Series GeForce4 Ti 4400 Graphics Card - $225
1 big ass case w/400 watt PS - $100

And I'll be adding some uninstalled parts I had sitting around:

AMI MEGA-RAID SCSI controller
two 18 GB Cheetah drives for the OS and swap files.
Promise Ultra 133 EIDE controller
four 120 GB WD1200 Caviar drives for data storage
WIN/TV card and a SB Live! card for the Snapstream PVR
Aaptec 4-port 1394 controller for video editing

Should have everything by tomorrow. Been a while since I put a computer together from parts but I can't imagine things have changed much in the last few years.

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm currently revisiting yesteryear, setting up my dual Abit VP6 w/ PIII 700 cC0 processors to start running SETI again.  It's a watercooled system that used to run a 166Mhz FSB for 1162Mhz on each processor... just setting up the watercooling is a pain...

Sounds like your new box should show some respectable performance... You should give SETI a try... Oh... why not join the AR15.Com SETI Team while you're at it...
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a dozen boxes (almost all dual cpu, with the slowest being a single P3 450) around the house running every day, and they were running the RC-5 crack, but that got broken about 2 months ago, so I could switch them over to SETI.  Anything special to do to join the ar15.com team?

BTW, the system above gets a DVD and CD/RW on their own channels on the motherboard ATA controller (got some odd email about that).

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I think your OS is going to give you some problems.

If my memory serves me right, you can't replace more than 4 or 5 componets at one time without Windows XP thinking your installing it in a new machine which has a differant configuration than the one you have now. When you try to regester your copy of XP in you new machine (and you have to so that XP will work), XP will compare your old regestation (which is on file at Microsoft) to your new one, and it will see that two computers have the same OS serial number listed under the same person.

( ok, que the thunder and lightning )

[pissed][b]MICROSOFT WILL NOT ALLOW THIS![/b][pissed]

( ok, kill the thunder and lightning. Thank you! )

I think swaping out parts out one at a time would be better.

The motherboard might be a differant story though.

Or forget every thing I just said and get a new copy of XP.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Vulture - It's a new machine, it gets a new copy of the OS.  I have a spare license or two sitting around.

I'd rather put the new machine on my network and migrate the stuff over that I need off the old desktop, then I'll redo the old machine with a fresh install of WinXP and put it in one of my kid's rooms, getting rid of oneof their old AMD K7 boxes.

If you'd like some definitive XP tips, feel free to buy my latest book on the subject [}:)]

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735617902/qid=1034042013/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-9352317-0380605?v=glance&n=507846[/url]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to buy a copy so SOMEONE CAN POST AN AMAZON REVIEW!  [:D]

Seriously though...  looks like a good read.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey DavidC.
How did you get your name listed TWICE as the author?  

Neat trick.   [:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey DavidC.
How did you get your name listed TWICE as the author?
View Quote

Because I'm twice as well known as my co-authors. [:)]

Actually, I have no idea why it's listed that way. And the only sections of the book I wrote are those relating to networking.  I'm in process on a Registry tricks book right now as sole author.  Books are a huge pain to write, but since I decided to go completely freelance a year or so ago, I do what I must [;)]

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
...to start running SETI again.
View Quote

WTH is SETI?

Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey -- I'm gonna buy it.  I want an autographed copy though!  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
WTH is SETI?

Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence?
View Quote

Yep, SETI@home to be more precise.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey -- I'm gonna buy it. I want an autographed copy though!
View Quote

I could initial it in 5.56mm holes, but it would make it very difficult to read [;)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#13]
You can get the SETI command line client software here:

[url]setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html[/url]

You can find programs to monitor and cache WU's here:

[url]setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/links_addons.html[/url]

You can get the screen saver version of SETI here, 'cept a true techo-weenie doesnt' run it... [;)]

[url]setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html[/url]

You can also do a search here in the GD for AR15.com SETI and software setup.

You can join the Team AR15.Com SETI team here:

[url]setiathome.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=ar15%2Ecom[/url]

edited for link
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Vulture - It's a new machine, it gets a new copy of the OS.  I have a spare license or two sitting around.

I'd rather put the new machine on my network and migrate the stuff over that I need off the old desktop, then I'll redo the old machine with a fresh install of WinXP and put it in one of my kid's rooms, getting rid of oneof their old AMD K7 boxes.

If you'd like some definitive XP tips, feel free to buy my latest book on the subject [}:)]

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735617902/qid=1034042013/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-9352317-0380605?v=glance&n=507846[/url]
View Quote

You mean to tell me that I tried to give computer advice to an expert on windows XP?!

Danm![stick]

The machine your puting together did sound like  a home computer and not like a corp-box. I built mine to almost the same specs.

As for your book, I think I'll pick up a copy. But I will go to Barnes and Noble instead of Amazon. It's cheaper there[}:)]!

[url]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0CDJH75LAD&isbn=0735617902[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Vulture:

You DO know that the Corporate version of XP doesn't have the machine profile feature, right?

-Troy
View Quote

nope!

But I do now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Vulture -

It's a home office box for me (since I work at home).

And thanks for buying a copy; doesn't matter where, I get the same royalty from either B&N or Amazon sales. My percentage is based on what they pay for the book, not what they sell it for.  And they need to sell a whole lot of books for me to make back the not-too-large advance [;)]

Link Posted: 10/8/2002 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top