Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2013 1:06:54 AM EDT
First noticed last year that my now 5 year old weim had either worn down or broken off the tip of her lower right canine.  Didn't think anything of it, at the time the vet didn't seem concerned either.  Than yesterday I was giving my dog her monthly tooth brushing and noticed that about a third of this tooth was now missing, the tip was black, and the black colored extended about 1-2mm into the tooth.

Took her to the vet last night and was told the black coloring is basically the pulp cavity and it is necrotic...in other words its a dead tooth.

She (the vet) said best thing to do is just leave it and watch if it isn't bothering the dog (which it doesn't seem to be doing), but that I do have other options if I want to visit a canine dentist that range from extraction to having the tooth sealed and capped...Im going to another vet for a second opinion, but was curious if anyone else here has been through this, what treatment method you choose and how much it cost.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Several of my dogs have needed to have teeth pulled.  It cost a few hundred, but it was for extraction of multiple teeth.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a dog with some seriously worn down teeth with the black color inside. I've had dogs all my life and have never seen teeth worn this way. I wondered if it was painful. Glad to hear the vet said it was ok to leave it alone. I would'nt spend a lot on this dog.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably gonna need a bridge.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top