Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2013 12:24:31 PM EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) — Two U.S. officials say investigators in the Boston bombings have recovered only one handgun believed to have been used in a gun battle with police.

One official said the serial number on what they described as a 9 mm pistol was scratched off. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss details of the investigation still in progress.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis says over 250 rounds were fired in the shootout.

http://news.yahoo.com/officials-boston-bombing-suspects-had-1-gun-170632527--politics.html

And this weekend officials said several firearms were recovered
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two U.S. officials say investigators in the Boston bombings have recovered only one handgun believed to have been used in a gun battle with police.

One official said the serial number on what they described as a 9 mm pistol was scratched off. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss details of the investigation still in progress.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis says over 250 rounds were fired in the shootout.

http://news.yahoo.com/officials-boston-bombing-suspects-had-1-gun-170632527--politics.html

It won't matter

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#2]
They left the AR in the trunk.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Mostly by law enforcement.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
So, did the young one in the boat fire at police or not? Did they find a gun in the boat? They lit the boat up for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why do people still do that? If I'm not mistaken, modern forensic methods would render defacing a stamped serial number useless.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, the cops shot up the boat with the suspect in it. He's lucky to survive. Doubt he shot back. So much for getting him alive to get information.  Real unprofessional.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If there was only one gun (sounds like BS) skidmark had it.  The report was he was advancing on officers while firing then mag ran dry and he was taken town, that is when stoner decided to run him over.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's true...if you define an air rifle as a firearm.  

I did however hear this report on the local news last night so it's out there, they know these guys had only one gun.  And it shows very clearly that the lack of weaponry will not deter a criminal from obtaining a weapon.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Are we safe to say the 9mm did not do this

Andrew Kitzenberg from Watertown, Massachusetts captured incredible photos of the Dzarnaev brothers shootout with police
Andrew took this picture after the shootout. This shows his roommates chair with a bullet through it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why do people still do that? If I'm not mistaken, modern forensic methods would render defacing a stamped serial number useless.

Absolutely false if done correctly.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amateurs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's very possible to obliterate the serial number on some guns, it just depends on the gun. Glocks for instance would be difficult without buying extra parts since the serial is stamped in three place to include on the barrel and slide. Other guns, no so much. You just can't half ass it. It more or less has to be a gun that doesnt have the number stamped in a critical area and you have to be able to go through and through so they can bring it back with acid or magnetic inspection.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Andrew Kitzenberg from Watertown, Massachusetts captured incredible photos of the Dzarnaev brothers shootout with police

Andrew took this picture after the shootout. This shows his roommates chair with a bullet through it.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q511/rolliver/Bostonshootout_zps2ff4e0c8.jpg

That was a police bullet.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/rolliver/media/Bostonshootout_zps2ff4e0c8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q511/rolliver/Bostonshootout_zps2ff4e0c8.jpg</a>

I saw the slug from that location. It was a .45. Boston PD is damn lucky there were no innocent bystanders hurt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

BUT BUT.. THEY CANT DO THAT ! ! ! THATS ILLEGAL ! !

im guessing the bad guys fired maybe 30 rounds, and the cops fired the other 220 rounds?? cause i dont see these guys carrying a bag full of magazines for their 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#16]
So where did the "automatic fire" come from that we heard officers repeating several times on the scanner?  Shooting a pistol fast doesn't really sound like a machine gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told that there are scanning technologies that can penetrate the metal to get the impressions made by stamping the metal (probably doesn't include laser cutting). However, the person who told me could have been incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So where did the "automatic fire" come from that we heard officers repeating several times on the scanner?  Shooting a pistol fast doesn't really sound like a machine gun.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told that there are scanning technologies that can penetrate the metal to get the impressions made by stamping the metal (probably doesn't include laser cutting). However, the person who told me could have been incorrect.

they can.. if you sand or grind the serial number off..... use a steel punch, and punch divots into the metal where the serial number was, and they cant recover it.

guess they didnt have a glock, and have 3 serial numbers to grind off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It certainly can to someone that's been awake for two or three days chasing a bombing suspect, and who probably hasn't heard too many machine guns in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#21]
MA shut down with a 9mm pistol and a pack of fireworks...

Just imagine if this was a determined group with RPK's and RPG's.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Did they get a gun from the LEO?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Nope. Apparently they couldn't figure out how to work his retention holster (probably an ARFCOM hated level 3 SERPA) and left it there.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wait????  I thought the shotgun was left in the trunk?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait????  I thought the shotgun was left in the trunk?

Glove compartment.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The underlying metal is altered by the rollmark impression and the serial number can sometimes be recovered by applying some kind of chemical etchant to the surface to render it visible.

Of course, stamping a bunch of "X" marks over the original serial number before grinding it off would probably defeat that method of recovery.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Wait but but but.....the news said they had an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wait but but but.....the news said they had an assault rifle.

Yeah, MSNBC said it was so, that means it HAPPENED!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#29]
This may actually be news if it's every officially stated by non anonymous officials.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Good thing no one was sitting in that chair, prob would have never heard about it if they capped someone by accident though
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
(CNN) -- Handguns, a rifle and at least six bombs -- three of which exploded -- were found at the scene police chief said Saturday in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
(CNN) -- Handguns, a rifle and at least six bombs -- three of which exploded -- were found at the scene police chief said Saturday in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

Really Blitz?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#34]
You can see a rifle in the boat if you look at the FLIR pictures.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can see a rifle in the boat if you look at the FLIR pictures.

BS.  You can not by any stretch tell there is a rifle.

Edit: maybe in an active imagination
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The older brother got the gun from the drug dealer he killed:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/04/22/police-probe-possible-link-between-marathon-bomber-and-unsolved-triple-homicide-waltham/n4uUaRfBgqeFPiRBrkCRsL/story.html

I'm calling it now.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The older brother got the gun from the drug dealer he killed:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/04/22/police-probe-possible-link-between-marathon-bomber-and-unsolved-triple-homicide-waltham/n4uUaRfBgqeFPiRBrkCRsL/story.html

I'm calling it now.

I bet you are right.  And that is the only one these losers had.  Wow.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top