Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2013 4:51:56 AM EDT
I know this has a high probability of spinning wildly out of control but here goes nothing. I have just graduated college (just shy of a decade haha) and will be going on full time as an assistant project manager with a civil construction company I have been working with for the past 6 months. We sometimes end up having to buy a lot of stuff on our own dime to save time ( ie grabbing it at the closest location not where you have an account ect.) we get reimbursed weekly so paying things off will not be a problem. I am looking into getting a credit card so I can build up some credit and was wanting to get something that has a good reward points system. I WILL ONLY BE USING THIS FOR WORK AND WILL BE PAYING OFF IN FULL EVERY MONTH.  For you guys that are in the same boat as me which cards are you using and what are your rewards systems like. I would like something that maybe I could choose what my rewards are. Gas cards or reduced gas isn't really a high selling point for me because I have a work truck that I drive 7 days a week with company gas. In advance thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Credit cards are the spawn of satan...
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I personally use the Discover Miles card, no annual fee. I put everything on there, it's nice to get lots of money off airline tickets when it comes time for a vacation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Credit cards are the payday lenders of the middle class.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#4]
My advice is to have  a credit card that you ONLY use for job expenses.  Have a separate credit card you use for personal expenses.  Never intermingle the two.

It will make things so much easier on your end.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Debt eats at the table first.

Using cards to build up points is the height of dunderheadedness.

I use credit cards to avoid carrying cash or writing checks.  I pay the bill weekly.  I have not carried a balance in many,many years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Amex a couple years ago was running a promotion with Lowes that got decent reward points and 10% off.

I got one of those and used the shit out of it.

But the old offer didn't grandfather last year and now its only 5% off, and a shitty APR, so I am closing the account.

My reward points after one year though bought me a nice gun safe and helped boost my credit score a bit. My score is about 800 right now.

I would check your local banks and credit unions and see what they are offering. Mine has a Visa right now that is 4% plus prime, not bad. There are a few cards that offer cash rewards too, which is probably nice.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are an assistant project manager who often needs to pick up something work-related, why on Earth doesn't your company issue you a company credit card?  If you put company-related purchases on your own private credit card, you are at the mercy of your company to agree that a particular charge was "necessary".  What if they disagree and don't want to reimburse you for something?  

AV1611
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I use credit cards to avoid carrying cash or writing checks.  I pay the bill weekly.  I have not carried a balance in many,many years.

lets get this straight. Im not getting a credit card to earn points. Im getting one to use for job expenses and only for job expenses. While using it if I can gain some free shit via points why the hell not.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Credit cards are like many vices in life - some people get addicted to using them, lose control and fall into a downward spiral of accumulating debt. Thats how CC companies make money.

You know yourself OP. If you have a little self control, a credit card can be a useful tool and can help your credit score.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I always end up with a balance at the beginning of the work season. After I pay my insurance and do maintenance on my truck and tools I am behind a little. Typically after the first decent sized job though I just pay it in full and continue to use it as normal. It is a cycle I intend to break, but each year I grow a little and so do my costs, it sucks.

It was nice getting a card just for work though, saves having to carry credit at a million different vendors, just swipe it and go, pay the balance at the end of the month.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Discover has been good for me over the years.  Up to 3% back, more if you visit the website and sign up for monthly propmotions (5% back on restraunts, ect...)  They have a good selection of partners you can get gift cards from, often a a reduced rate, where 20 dollars of your reward will get you a 25 dollar card.

I recently switched to useing a Cabelas Visa.  Its only 1% back which sucks, (More on purchases at their stores, but 1% everywhere else).  Accumulate rewards, get free ammo, guns, gear....

I travel for work about 75%  I run up to 5 grand across the card in some months, all reimbursed by the company (Normally on a schedule that works out) and I never pay interest.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:00:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They can suck, but it beats coming out of his own pocket for his company's expenses.

OP:  I use an Amex Card with a rewards point system and an Marriott Rewards card.  I use whatever gets the highest rewards points wherever I have to shop.  For instance: I use the Amex card for general purchases, the Marriott Rewards card for business trips, entertaining clients, etc.  At the end of the year I usually have several nights worth of hotel stays available to me for weekend getaways and occasional vacations and enough points on the Amex to buy a few Christmas gifts.

Use them wisely though.  Only for business and don't run a balance.  Get reimbursed for everything and keep good records.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:01:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a CC that I use for online purchases/emergencies.  I never carry a balance.  It is paid off monthly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I have had a good experience with CITI, they've always been more than helpful and the interest rates are low.. no complaints about them so far..
However...

STAY AWAY FROM HSBC!!! DONT EVER USE THEM EVER EVER EVER EVER!

That is the crookedest company on the face of the earth imo, google hsbc complaint and you'll find a ton of them.

Citi or Usaa is good for cc's in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]
American Express Blue Cash

Pay in full every month.  /thread
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:03:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Credit cards are like many vices in life - some people get addicted to using them, lose control and fall into a downward spiral of accumulating debt. Thats how CC companies make money.

You know yourself OP. If you have a little self control, a credit card can be a useful tool and can help your credit score.

It kills me when I see or hear of people that are carrying 10k on a card and paying $40 a month, how the hell does that even happen.

On my personal credit card the max I have ever put on there is maybe $1000, and that was for small emergencies. My work card gets run up pretty high sometimes, but I always pay the balance in full.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Discover has pretty good rewards and even bonus reward points every once in a while.

Make sure you keep your personal expenses on a different card.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:05:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I find it silly to boldly claim that using a CC to get points is dumb.

I do that very thing, in fact.  My balance is paid in full every month, sometimes I will pay it off more than once a month.  In a little over a year I have obtained about $1,000 with my Chase Freedom card.  I have yet to have a late payment, interest charge or monthly fee.

The individual has to decide if he/she can be disciplined enough to not be foolish in spending and always, always, always pay it off completely at the end of the month.  It's all about personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:05:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I have an NRA card.  I don't get any rewards, but (hopefully) the NRA does.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:05:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Both Cabela's and Bass Pro have reward cards where you get 1% on everything and larger percentages on in store purchases.  Cabela's also has exclusive deals on select items for card holders.  Cabela's is my favorite card but I do a lot of boating and fishing plus some hunting so there is always the need to buy something.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:07:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Never thought of it like that, but that is a damn good description.

Just stay away from the goddamn things.  Everyone has plans and good intentions but if you think you NEED a credit card you especially NEED to stay away from them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#23]
tell the company to give you a company card ,and not an american express
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Scheels card, you earn points on every dollar you spend and get gift cards to use in Scheels stores. You have to spend $2500 to get a $25 gift card, but most of my charges are business related that I get reimbursed for, so it's like free money to me. If there are no scheels stores in your area Cabelas has a similar rewards card system.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:10:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Fidelity has a Visa and a Amex that pay 2% when you redeem into a Fidelity IRA account.  Kill three birds with one stone: make a little reward money, build your credit score, and save for retirement.  I don't recall what the interest rate is, because I NEVER  pay interest on credit cards.

Two problems I would consider-- if you goof up and buy a lot of personal stuff, or the company reimbursement is late, you could end up paying interest on your own purchases and the company purchases you've charged on the card.

You can choose to avoid this by having sufficient cash in hand to always pay the bill, both yours and the company's. You should have an emergency fund anyways.  As far as racking up excessive personal charges: credit cards aren't any good for borrowing money.  Anything worth borrowing money for can be financed cheaper at the bank/credit union.

Also, if the company takes a dump you could end up with a month+ of unreimbursed purchases.   You will have to figure out how much you trust your company.  If you don't trust your company enough to believe they'll reimburse your legitimate expenses, you need to find another job ASAP.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Exactly.  The company needs to give you a company card.  The company needs to get the bill at the end of the month, not you.

AV1611

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread has already went full retard.

This place is a broken record when it comes to CCs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys realize that you can actually use a credit card to buy something, even though you have cash, right? You're not charged interest unless you leave a balance on it from month to month. A balance that's paid off monthly is not a debt, it's a bill, just like your water or electricity. Do you all prepay your electric bills each month so you're not "in debt" and avoid using the electric company as a "payday lender of the middle class"? The OP has a good idea here. He can build his credit and earn rewards, while reducing the amount of cash he has to pay out of pocket for work expenses that are reimbursed to him anyways. Why would you want to limit your own personal cash flow to cover expenses for a business that you don't own?

OP, using a card for monthly expenses that are paid off each month is a good idea, and will build credit quickly. I like my Capital One Venture card. It pays 2% cash back in the form of "points" that can be used towards any travel related purchase. As long as you're buying a hotel room or an airline ticket 1-2 times a year, you'll have no problem redeeming it. There are no limits or expiration dates on the rewards, and everything is a flat 2%. I have a Discover card as well, but the rewards are difficult to keep track of. They only pay 1% on most purchases, but pay 5% back on revolving categories that change quarterly. And there are caps to the 5% rewards, so it's usually a better deal to just use my Venture card.

Thanks for the info. I like the X% back on all purchases which would make keeping track of everything eaiser but im not sure if id use the travel points. I guess im just going to have to do a little more research.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:19:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Exactly.  The company needs to give you a company card.  The company needs to get the bill at the end of the month, not you.

Quoted:

Why?  A company credit card won't help him improve HIS credit score.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:20:34 AM EDT
[#31]
People have problems with reading comprehension.

As to a card recommendation, there are many out there.  Some good ones are Amex and Discover, however you wont find 100% of all merchants accept these.  Your best bet is to find a Visa/MC rewards card that gives you something that YOU like.... we cannot answer that for you.  Some focus on cash back, some miles, some points that can be converted into "stuff".

Personally, I use my Costco card, because it turns into cash back for use at Costco.... a place we already spend too much money.  

I'd probably go discover rewards cashback.... as long as you don't mind using your personal VISA/MC card at times where the merchant does not accept discover.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys realize that you can actually use a credit card to buy something, even though you have cash, right? You're not charged interest unless you leave a balance on it from month to month. A balance that's paid off monthly is not a debt, it's a bill, just like your water or electricity. Do you all prepay your electric bills each month so you're not "in debt" and avoid using the electric company as a "payday lender of the middle class"? The OP has a good idea here. He can build his credit and earn rewards, while reducing the amount of cash he has to pay out of pocket for work expenses that are reimbursed to him anyways. Why would you want to limit your own personal cash flow to cover expenses for a business that you don't own?

OP, using a card for monthly expenses that are paid off each month is a good idea, and will build credit quickly. I like my Capital One Venture card. It pays 2% cash back in the form of "points" that can be used towards any travel related purchase. As long as you're buying a hotel room or an airline ticket 1-2 times a year, you'll have no problem redeeming it. There are no limits or expiration dates on the rewards, and everything is a flat 2%. I have a Discover card as well, but the rewards are difficult to keep track of. They only pay 1% on most purchases, but pay 5% back on revolving categories that change quarterly. And there are caps to the 5% rewards, so it's usually a better deal to just use my Venture card.

Thanks for the info. I like the X% back on all purchases which would make keeping track of everything eaiser but im not sure if id use the travel points. I guess im just going to have to do a little more research.

Don't be afraid to shop around for new cards too.

Mine was good to me for 2 years, then started to suck. I found another one that is better and told the old company I was closing my account and to stop sucking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have worked for two major corporations and neither would do this.

Sure - you got a corporate AMEX for your expenses, but it is in YOUR name, YOUR credit, YOU get the bill.....  and that is just how it is if you want to work there.  You don't get to disctate to a corporation what their policy should be based on how you feel.  You work there, you follow THEIR policies.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an Amex gold premiere and use it instead of cash. Groceries, gas, etc. Average about $2000 a month. Paid off every month because its Amex. No annual fee the first year and you can cancel after that if you really don't want to pay pseudointerest. 25000 points signup bonus. So basically a free plane ticket. Yeah dont get sucked into using CC as a loan, but people who simply refuse use credit cards at all are morons.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Another plus for Cabela's is the twice a year "Club Night" where you get to shop in store and pay employee pricing for ANYTHING in stock.  They also run Club specials where you might get 40% back for a purchase. I bought 3 tee shirts last week and paid $22 or so but I will get almost half of it back. Not a bad card IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a wonderful illustration of people that fear either:
(1) an inanimate object
(2) their own lack of self-control

It reminds me of something ... but I can't quite put my finger on it.  [img]

Ha, I was just going to post that this is just like the people who say "People shouldn't have guns, you might get mad and shoot someone with it", thus shining a bright light on their own violent tendencies and lack of self-control.

My credit card bill is between $2.5k and $4k a month, depending on expenditures. ALWAYS paid off. It's set up to pay the last statement balance in full automatically through online billing... I CAN'T get charged interest. If I could put my mortgage payment on the card, I would.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Credit Cards are a great way to limit your risk and liability to fraudulent charges.  I only use my debit card in my bank's ATMs...oterwise, it's the CC that gets used to pay for things.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I find it silly to boldly claim that using a CC to get points is dumb.

You aren't going to get rich on points, but leaving free money on the table... that does seem dumb.

If you spend $4000 a month and collect a 2% reward, that's $960 a year.  If you make $50K, that's a 2% raise (or more... credit card rewards aren't taxable!)

How do you easily generate $4K in monthly purchases while making $50K/yr?

$2K is straightforward; utility bills, groceries, gas, insurance, restaurants.  Anything that doesn't offer a cash discount, charge it.  This also saves time because you aren't constantly writing checks or dealing with cash.  Your expenses are summarized on your credit card bill for easy budgeting.

The other $2K can be generated synthetically:   use Amazon payments to send your wife $1K with the credit card, then send her $1K with the credit card. Transfer the $2K back to your bank account to pay next month's bill.  This takes only a couple of minutes.  You also get a free month's loan of $2K to earn interest in your high interest checking account.  $2K extra in your 2.5% checking account will earn $50 in the course of a year.

So the next time somebody tells you credit card points are a waste of time, show them the math.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Okay, OP.  Here's one:
https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/visa-signature-card

That card gets you 1.5-2% paid into your Fidelity account.  No annual fee for the card.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#40]
If possible, request a company card.  People are saying "no AMEX" in that case as business AMEX can be charge cards with no limit.  I don't see this as a huge deal because even if you get a company card, it will have your name on it and you will still be responsible for the charges.  But a company card may make your reimbursements easier.

Otherwise if you have to get your own, then I would recommend an AMEX credit card following whatever bonus program you want.  With a limit perhaps even forced lower than they will give you.  In my experience AMEX is the most favorable/aggressive company in your favor if there is a problem.

People blindly spouting off "AVOID CREDIT CARDS THEY ARE SATAN" clearly don't understand that if you use a credit card and pay it off each month, it is actually a very useful tool.  I've used credit cards for as many of my purchases as possible for 15+ years now.  I don't use a debit card.  I carry cash for small things or where I think credit card fraud is likely (bars, mostly).  CC company has not gotten a dime of interest from me in those 15 years.  I used a GM card for many years that netted out over ~$10k off vehicles I would have purchased anyways, straight cash off after all rebates/supplier discounts/promotions, etc.  Since I am no longer considering new GM vehicles, some years ago I switched over to AMEX.  I've had a few cases of fraudulent charges over the years and have never been responsible for a single one of them.  They either call me or I call them, get a new card, charges removed, done.  I do still keep the GM/Mastercard as some small businesses don't take AMEX, and it is good to have two cards just in case one is being swapped out for a new card.

I get points that add up to 2-3 domestic flights a year or about a grand in Amazon gift cards.  I get free rental car insurance.  I get a free price guarantee, theft insurance, and a 1 year extended warranty on pretty much everything that actually works and is honored.  I also get AMEX taking care of any situation where a vendor won't refund me for or take back a defective product.  Online vendor won't answer your request for a refund, service, or RMA?  Sick AMEX on them.  If they don't respond to AMEX = full refund even if you still have the stuff.  Same at a B&M store.  

All of these services work and have put countless thousands of dollars back in my pockets with relatively little hassle.  I don't argue with shitty companies.  I don't sit on customer service lines for hours.  Drop them an email, make note of a few dates that you tried, then sick AMEX on them.  Much saved stress.  Not to mention I am no longer buying those services from stores or other insurers like squaretrade.

My .02 - if you are responsible, NOT using a credit card effectively is just as full retard as using one carelessly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

FPFI (first post fails it)

OP, go for something that gets you cash back.  They are generally the best deal.

ETA So far this year I've earned about $135 cash back and I've payed $0 interest.  I wish I could say I spent it on fancy toys but I usually just put it towards the principle on my mortgage...
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Pentagon Federal Credit Union has the best rewards I've found.

I pay everything on my CC then pay it in full every month.  Rewards add up fast and then I use those(visa check card) for vacations
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#43]
If you have discipline, credit cards are a great tool that can benefit you greatly financially.
Anyone that says they're bad, is simply clueless, and/or unable to seperate the card itself from the irresponsible users.
My cards are now all some sort of rewards card. My capital one card pays me a small percentage cash back on all purchases. Every week or two, I get emails listing usually 3 places that have really high rewards, like 5 bucks back on a ten dollar purchase at quiznos.  More often than not, it's some place that I'll never buy from, but often, it is.  

Plus, you get some seriously good consumer protection. Buy something that comes in not as advertised, or the seller refuses to honor a warranty, the CC company will help you out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have had a good experience with CITI, they've always been more than helpful and the interest rates are low.. no complaints about them so far..
However...

STAY AWAY FROM HSBC!!! DONT EVER USE THEM EVER EVER EVER EVER!

That is the crookedest company on the face of the earth imo, google hsbc complaint and you'll find a ton of them.

Citi or Usaa is good for cc's in my experience.

When my wife and I were credit building, we used them and never had an issue. Cap1 bought out all the accounts we had with them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Amazon chase visa, 3x points for amazon , 2x gas and grocery , 1x all other. No fee.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#46]
This will not end well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http:// This thread has already went full retard.

It's a wonderful illustration of people that fear either:
(1) an inanimate object
(2) their own lack of self-control

It reminds me of something ... but I can't quite put my finger on it.  [url=http://
http://]

Ha, I was just going to post that this is just like the people who say "People shouldn't have guns, you might get mad and shoot someone with it", thus shining a bright light on their own violent tendencies and lack of self-control.

My credit card bill is between $2.5k and $4k a month, depending on expenditures. ALWAYS paid off. It's set up to pay the last statement balance in full automatically through online billing... I CAN'T get charged interest. If I could put my mortgage payment on the card, I would.

I do the same thing.  I am debt free and have all the bills on autopayment on the credit cards.  I like the convience and when I disappear for a while I don't have to worry about bills not getting paid.  I buy everything on the cards and pay them off monthly.

I am also not a young man fresh out of college short on cash either.  The safe advice is not play with the credit cards.

Since there seems to people making a connection to weapons for some reason.........
Much like firearm safety you have to be disiplined and mature to safely be around them.  So don't go and blow your dick off with 20% interest rates.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#48]
No, it won't, but it will keep his private finances and his company's finances separate.

AV1611

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We sometimes end up having to buy a lot of stuff    
I WILL ONLY BE USING THIS FOR WORK

Get a credit card from the business then.  It might save them time/money if they don't need to process the paperwork covering the paybacks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#50]
look for one with no annual fee....and pay it off asap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top