Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2013 6:15:05 PM EDT
I'm sure the libertarian wing of the Republican party thinks this a great thing that Republicans should be doing also.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Explain why it's bad?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]
thuper
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
who fucking cares

They are assaulting Russia on all fronts and winning.  Seriously, this is a fight I don't give a shit about anymore.  Too many other big ticket items on the docket for the left that have to be fought.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm sure the libertarian wing of the Republican party thinks this a great thing that Republicans should be doing also.

Lol wut? Libertarians want the government out of personal associations, not creeping further into people's lives.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol wut? Libertarians want the government out of personal associations, not creeping further into people's lives.  

So what is the libertarian position on states legalizing gay marriage?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Will employers be required to give spousal benifits (medical/dental) to gay couples?
Will churches be forced to conduct gay marriages?
Will wedding facilities be required to host gay wedding receptions?

if the answer to all of those is no then I have no problem with the state passing a gay marriage law.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1.3 Personal Relationships

Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.

looks like they oppose it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The govt should stay out of the marriage business but it seems they want to creep further and further into it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I could really care less if anyone wants to get married, but as long as marriage is required for your partner to get health benefits, or to get the tax breaks that go along with being married then it should be allowed. The government really needs to get all the way out of it, but since that wont happen.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Fabulous
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I could really care less if anyone wants to get married, but as long as marriage is required for your partner to get health benefits, or to get the tax breaks that go along with being married then it should be allowed. The government really needs to get all the way out of it, but since that wont happen.

An employer shouldnt be required to provide health insurance benifits to spouses, period. If he choses to provide spousal benifits they state should have no say in which spouses.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The govt should stay out of the marriage business but it seems they want to creep further and further into it.

They are already IN the marriage business. They already can tell you who you can and cant marry. What do you think a marriage license is for? Not to mention the fact that they give married couples some nice tax breaks.

They are waist deep in the marriage business. However I agree, they should stay they hell out of it, meaning the government cant put restrictions on who can be married, you no longer get ANY tax benefits out of it, and you don't need a license from the government.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are already IN the marriage business. They already can tell you who you can and cant marry. What do you think a marriage license is for? Not to mention the fact that they give married couples some nice tax breaks.

They are waist deep in the marriage business. However I agree, they should stay they hell out of it, meaning the government cant put restrictions on who can be married, you no longer get ANY tax benefits out of it, and you don't need a license from the government.

Is this push about legalizing "gay marriage" simply an attempt by  folks to get the same benefits other people get?

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Instead of moaning about gay marriage, you should be worried about ALL marriage being government-sanctioned.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this push about legalizing "gay marriage" simply an attempt by  folks to get the same benefits other people get?

I would say it is about a lot of things, that being one of them. Another would be putting strictly religious criteria on tax benefits. Another would be the government NOT sticking its nose into the bedroom of consenting adults.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Instead of moaning about gay marriage, you should be worried about ALL marriage being government-sanctioned.

You, sir, get it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another would be the government NOT sticking its nose into the bedroom of consenting adults.

BS.  Name the last time the government cared what two people do in a bedroom unless it involved prostitution, which gay marriage does not address.  That's a talking point, and not a very good one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You know, it might just be that there are people who love other people of the same sex and feel really passionate about having the same protections under law that traditional married couples have.

But, ya know, if you just want to make it a "free money" kinda thing, you can do that too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Aren't protections a type of benefit?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another would be the government NOT sticking its nose into the bedroom of consenting adults.

BS.  Name the last time the government cared what two people do in a bedroom unless it involved prostitution, which gay marriage does not address.  That's a talking point, and not a very good one.

http://theweek.com/article/index/242412/why-do-so-many-states-still-have-anti-sodomy-laws
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Will employers be required to give spousal benifits (medical/dental) to gay couples?

if the answer to all of those is no then I have no problem with the state passing a gay marriage law.

Yes
No
No

The whole reason to get married is for the fucking benefits.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://theweek.com/article/index/242412/why-do-so-many-states-still-have-anti-sodomy-laws

List all the times they've been enforced in the last 20 years.
Explain how legalizing gay marriage will nullify them.

There are reasons to argue for gay marriage.  Claiming that it gets the government out of the bedroom isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not sure where you're going with this.  Are you saying that the 14th amendment and Equal Protection are overreaching in general, or just in regards to sexual orientation?  Lawrence v Texas was a step in the direction of the latter, but there's been no substantive ruling that sexual orientation is currently protected.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would say there are a lot of important benefits being withheld on strictly religious criteria, but benefits aren't the only reason. It has a lot to do with equality. Saying "Those people are allowed to be married because they love the right people, but you dont love the right people so you are not allowed to be married." is pretty bullshit. And this is where people bring up that stupid "Separate but equal" crap about civil unions. (Im not saying you were going to bring up that stupid argument, i figure you're smarter than that) If it didnt work in the civil rights department before, it isnt going to work this time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

No

No

The whole reason to get married is for the fucking benefits.

Number three is already "yes", at least in Washington.  Number 2 is already on the gay-rights activist's list, as soon as it becomes politically feasible.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-04-18/national/38638587_1_sexual-orientation-flower-shop-lawsuit

ETA:  New Mexico, too:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865557098/New-Mexico-photographer-loses-third-round-of-gay-discrimination-case-but-attorneys-vow-fight-isnt.html?pg=all

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

List all the times they've been enforced in the last 20 years.
Explain how legalizing gay marriage will nullify them.

There are reasons to argue for gay marriage.  Claiming that it gets the government out of the bedroom isn't one of them.

Does it matter if it is enforced? If it is illegal, then it is illegal.

It doesnt solve the issue entirely, no one has claimed it will. Its still movement in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok, I'm sure society will collapse and the world will end this time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Talk to me about taxes, the Patriot Act, the 2nd amendment and a republican that can win in 2016 and you'll have my attention.
Other than
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Does it matter if it is enforced? If it is illegal, then it is illegal.

It doesnt solve the issue entirely, no one has claimed it will. Its still movement in the right direction.

It matters because you're making the claim that legalizing gay marriage will solve this particular problem.  You can't show that it's a problem, and you can't show that legalizing gay marriage will take those laws off the books.  It's a BS claim.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Talk to me about taxes, the Patriot Act, the 2nd amendment and a republican that can win in 2016 and you'll have my attention.
Other than

its suddenly become the issue of the moment in Democrat controlled states

They claim its a huge revenue enhancer
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]
What if we just get the gov't out of all marriage?  Sign a contract with whoever you want.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Well what the hell, why not let them do it, yes let the gays get married.  
You support all the other freedoms why all the gay hate.  

Look the lawyers need more business!
Gay divorce has already become a problem in one state that jumped on the homo marriage band wagon.
One of the first gay couples to be married wanted to split and the judge said no because they did not have a gay divorce law.

Also the flower shops, the wedding cake folks and all the rest of that bunch get rich, more jobs for everyone.

Lawyers will make more money too.

Remember when your GF gave you BJ’s, then you put a ring on it and years later you get nothing?  

I wonder for the gay ass rangers if the same thing happens when they get married?  

For the muff divers of the other gay side maybe she don’t lick the clit as hard as she used to?
Really make it harder than your nipple on a cold day, but now you only get the finger or vibrator?  

If you are on GD and gay just wondering if the ring and honey I have a headache happen to you folks too?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

yes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm from Delaware, and personally do not give a shit, as long as they do not force churches to allow the ceramonies. Aside from that, I don't see what's so wrong about employers having to give benefits to the gay employees spouse.

I've only ranted against friends still in Delaware who are for this because; they care more about that shit than the 2nd amendment issues.

If you care more about the legalization of weed, and gay marriage, than your 2nd amendment rights, you can GTFO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
who fucking cares

This
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Blue State, no suprise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
who fucking cares

This

x2
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gary Johnson disagrees with you,  he supports gay marriage.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

1.3 Personal Relationships

Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.
looks like they oppose it.
Wrong, the libertarian party is opposed to the federal government legalizing gay marriage but supports states legalizing it.... Like Delaware.

ETA: I think you are misinterpreting what you quoted.  They are saying the government shouldn't restrict homosexuals from being married.  As I said above though, they are opposed to federal legislation, but not state-level legislation.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I was talking about with another libertarian friend of mine today, and the consensus that we reached that (many) republicans don't want gays to get married for the same reason many liberals want to ban assault weapons: fear of something that they really know nothing about, and will not have any effect on them outside of their emotions.  Personally homosexuality makes me uncomfortable, but they are people, no different from you or I, and in my beliefs people should mind their own business and butt out of things that don't concern them.  With that reasoning, I am unable to find a single legitimate reason that should prevent them from being married other than making ARFCOM uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm from Delaware, and personally do not give a shit, as long as they do not force churches to allow the ceramonies. Aside from that, I don't see what's so wrong about employers having to give benefits to the gay employees spouse.

I've only ranted against friends still in Delaware who are for this because; they care more about that shit than the 2nd amendment issues.

If you care more about the legalization of weed, and gay marriage, than your 2nd amendment rights, you can GTFO.

Then you have a very, very warped view of freedom.  At least you recognize the simple fact that the power of the state will be used to force private individuals to recognize and endorse gay marriage.  The "it doesn't affect you" crowd is so ignorant they don't even see it.  You see it,  you're just OK with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#44]

incremental communism

enjoy your chains serfs

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What part of "separation of Church & State" do you not get?

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:00:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ok, I'm sure society will collapse and the world will end this time.

or it wont
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
who fucking cares

Exactly.  The people bitching about gay marriage get on my nerves more than the gays that want to marry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#48]
It's so funny to see the " govt needs to stay out of my personal life" and " I'm tired of unfair taxation and protections" types scream that govt needs to protect their marriage and their tax rate.

Legalize gay marriage and weed and the only things that will happen are gays and pot smokers have nothing left to talk about.

End single person non-breeder discrimination
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Good.  This is a retarded thing for a party to hang up on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top