Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2002 9:26:32 AM EDT
You might be from the Pacific Northwest if

1. Know the state flower (Mildew)

2. You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.

3. Use the statement "sun break" and know what it means.

4. Know more than 10 ways to order coffee.

5. Know more people who own boats than air conditioners.

6. Feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant.

7. Stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk"
Signal.

8. Consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain.

9. Can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best and Veneto's.

10. Know the difference between Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye salmon.

11. Know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, and Willamette.

12. Consider swimming an indoor sport.

13. Can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food.

14. In winter, go to work in the dark and come home in the dark-while only working eight-hour days.

15. Never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.

16. Are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain," and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."

17. You cannot wait for a day with "showers and sun breaks".

18. Have no concept of humidity without precipitation.

19. Know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind.

20. Can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you cannot see through the cloud cover.

21. You notice "the mountain is out" when it is a pretty day and you can actually see it.

22. Put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.

23. Switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.

24. Have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.

25. Think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.

26. Knew immediately that the view out of Frasier's window was fake.

27. Buy new sunglasses every year, because you can't find the old ones after such a long time.

28. You measure distance in hours.

29. You often switch from "heat" to "a/c" in the same day.

30. You use a down comforter in the summer.

31. You carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use
them.

32. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat.

33. You know all the important seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Raining (Spring), Road Construction (Summer) Deer & Elk season (Fall).

34. You actually understand these jokes and forward them to all your friends in the Northwest or those who used to live here!

35. Those aren't "dust covers", they're "moisture barriers".

36. The only people who wear camouflage are are anti-gun.

37. If you can't handle a few rust spots, why'd you take it outside?

38. You bought an AR15 because it's aluminium and you can get all the alodine you will ever need from your friends who work at Boeing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I know the feeling (I'm in Arcata, about 3 hrs south of the CA/OR border).  Would be a great place to live, except for all the hippies.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish it rained more here. Might help wash away all of the shit that keeps drifting up from Kalifornia.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
lets keep 'em thinking that way, maybe they'll stay where they are......
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#5]
My first experience in the NW.

About 5 yrs ago, I was interviewing for a new job.  The HQ was in Seattle and I was going for a position in their new NYC office.  Being a "suit" I dressed appropriately for the interview in NYC, suit, tie, pressed shirt and shined shoes.  The boss was in a bit more "relaxed" attire and I assumed that it was because of the impending move.  I made it through the first round of interviews and was invited out to the Seattle office.  They flew me out, put me up in the Westin and had an 8am start time for interviews.  Once again, suit, tie, pressed shirt and shined shoes.

Walk to the lobby of the Westin, trying to order coffee.  WTF?  All I needed was a regular cup of joe - a little cream and sugar.  I couldn't believe the menu, Blend this, Breakfast that, Ecuadorian bat shit blend, etc.  These people wouldn't know a cup of coffee if a bag of beans smacked them upside the head.

Walk into the office at 7:55am and lo and behold - everyone is late (except me).  Meet with the boss I spoke with in NYC and he is in jeans and a T-Shirt.  We speak for a little while and starts doing more paperwork.  He introduces me to another member of the team - this guy walks in, no shit, overalls (ripped) a tie-dye T-shirt, flip-flops and about 7 days growth.  I dress better when I first wake up.

I was told that I should have dressed a little down for the interviews and they are a relaxed work place.  My comment was I understand that, but dealing with NYC clientele, the dress code is a bit "different" than what they are used to.

The net of it is, I was offered the job, but declined the offer.  I love the NW but could do without the hippies and those who are more "enlightened" than I due to their relaxed grooming standards.

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didn't know there was a correlation between enlightenment and grooming.  Guess someone should have informed Jesus, Ghandi, Confucius, etc...
View Quote

There isn't, and it wasn't the point, nor how I feel.

Being enlightened has nothing to do with your attire - whether it be a Brooks Brother's suit or dungerees.  Just don't try to act as if it does.  An attitude I can do without.

I tried to call the aforementioned people, but none have returned my calls.

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I was just married in July in Seattle then for our honeymoon we took a cruise of the inside passage to Alaska. The place was a bit of a shock for me being born and raised in the desert southwest. After spending a few days in Seattle I now understand why King County boasts the highest suicide rate in the nation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top