Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2013 10:32:44 AM EDT
Just downloaded the new NRA ap.  Not sure what all they eventually intend to roll out with it, but the digital copy of the American Rifleman does not look all that bad on an Ipad.  Hope they offer all the magazines this way - and I don't mind giving up the paper versions, my wife hides them anyway.  (they are testing this, so you don't have to choose digital or paper yet).  While I guess I could be putting old copies to good use by dropping them in lobbies, since I am not using them for activism, the digital copy is fine for now.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Why does your wife hide them?

I get a couple of my magazines on my Kindle Fire but I prefer the print version. It would have to be a big savings for me to go to an e-copy only.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll check it out.  I just switched back to paper when I upped to endowment.  I never ended up reading them on my computer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#3]
She does not actively hide them, she just does not take the effort to give them to me, and they get burried in random places.  I managed to find 4 issues last year.

I like paper, but I always carry my Ipad when I travel (which is essentially 5+ days a week), I don't always carry magazines - and rarely carry a laptop (as I have a desktop to work on when I get there - but working on a desktop is great, reading personal literature on it at work, frowned upon).
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I had it digital for awhile, but switched back. Same as TeeRex above - I just didn't read them on the PC (don't have an iPad - if someone feels sorry for me they can donate one ).

If I can physically hold a magazine I'll read it, but digital mags don't work well for me. I tend to read half an article and come back to it later, and it's too hard to pick up where I left off.

I know NRA (like everyone else) is trying to get everyone to switch because it's so cheap to "publish" things digitally. Hell, even the local newspaper is trying to go digital - set it up on one computer and "email" it out to everyone - saves gazillions on paper and delivery costs ... the only problem is they tried to charge the same for it, so I cancelled.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
My biggest problem with digital was that I wouldn't be able to read it in the "throne room". Now that I've got the iPad, digital it will be.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I get the paper ones and after I've read them they go into the local care packages to the troops oversea.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering why I wasn't getting the new issues, I forgot that I changed to digital.  

I guess I should go download the app and start reading
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I downloaded it yesterday. I like that they added videos, but not sure if I'll get used to it. I prefer paper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope they make an Android app, I like digital magazines.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I also have it digital.  I'm always on my computer, so I generally 'read' each issue.  But, yeah, Magazines are nice cause I can drop it off at the can, or take it to bed, or down to the easy chair when the wife wants to watch TV, etc.  Sure, I can read it on my phone, but that's....not real slick.  Perhaps I need to pick up a tablet after all....
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The app is pretty good. I can see it replacing the mags. Videos are a nice addition too...
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Brother-in-law used to work in the field for a major publishing house (of both newsstand and industry journal publications).  Funny, pre Ipad was not all that long ago.  Digital interactive magazines for portable consumption devices were the hope of remaining in business for traditional publishers.  Interactive content and the ability to do special releases would give them a subscription edge over paper, while reducing publishing and distribution cost.  Superior content could keep them alive in a day of free websites.  Imagine Sports Illustrated, where you click on a picture, and it comes to life - plus not needing to wait a month for articles about Monday night.  For industry publications, the ability to store several years of magazines without using shelves in the library - all with an updated table of contents.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top