Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2013 7:46:20 AM EDT
Zeke was looking a little bloated after dinner last night, and had a mild concern that he could have a blockage. Didn't feel anything, and he was acting normal.

Come midnight, and he's wanting to go out. Not unusual, he drinks a lot of water. But it was unusual when he wanted to go out again a half hour later. And then another hour later. And on and on. Then I hear him wretching. He wants to go out again at 4, and I knew something strange was going on. I see where he vomited up a little bit of bile, and there are several bright red spots in the bile. He did that again before 6. At 6, I let him out, and it was literally like a fire hose had erupted from his back end. I checked the stool, and it looked like there could be some blood in it, but not certain.

Took him in to the vet as soon as I could this morning, but just had to drop him off till they could see him. He was pretty lethargic at that point. He's only 6 years old.

Update: Looks like Zeke's got hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. It's serious, but was caught early and aggressively. Still waiting to see if he'll be able to come home, or if he is going to have to stay overnight. No real known cause.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
1st update. Vet did say that there was a bit of blood in his stool. Don't know what could have caused this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Prayers sent for your buddy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
prayers sent, I know how important pets are and they are part of the family.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope your beautiful pup feels better soon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Bloat (flipped over stomach). Has the vet ruled that out yet?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Vet's checking everything out, but this is doubtful. Fed twice daily to prevent, and while he was a little bloated last night, no pain in his stomach. Doc did feel his belly this morning, and thought that initially things felt alright.

Thank God we've got a phenomenal vet, and he'll check everything out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vet's checking everything out, but this is doubtful. Fed twice daily to prevent, and while he was a little bloated last night, no pain in his stomach. Doc did feel his belly this morning, and thought that initially things felt alright.

Thank God we've got a phenomenal vet, and he'll check everything out.

Ok, good. I take it by your handle you and zeke are hunting partners. I have a BLM in training for goose hunting next fall. Prayers for your pup.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Hope everything works out OP, good looking dog you have there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
prayers sent, I know how important pets are and they are part of the family.

This (including the prayer sent) but realize that God gives and takes away...maybe the pup has done his duty here...
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I asked our vet about that when I had our dog in for maintenance because he was standing weird and seemed a little tender.  He said he'd only seen a couple of

cases of bloat and they happened quickly.

I didn't know how unusual it was, or for a dog to pull through it if it's not taken care of quickly.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Update in OP. It's serious, but he should be alright.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Any update on this??

My girls (Keara 2 years old & Emma 4 months)

Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Hope your buddy feels better soon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I hope he gets well soon. My prayers for Zeke
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top