Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2013 6:07:42 AM EDT
T boned a caddy at around 25mph on a training ride last Friday. How long did till I might be able to get back on the trainer? I am in a simple arm sling right now and go to the ortho tomorrow. Just wondering what others experience was with this break.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably looking at up to 6 weeks of immobilization.  Your season is shot.

ETA:

Unless you get hardware installed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah thats what I am worried about. I do have a recumbent exercise bike I might get on shortly if it causes no pain.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I am going to beg the ortho for plates or screws.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah thats what I am worried about. I do have a recumbent exercise bike I might get on shortly if it causes no pain.

One bad bump in the road, fast move, etc and you'll know about it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I plan on staying away from the road until I feel no pain. going to hang indoors and train during the giro races.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear that. I broke my left one and a rib in September and it took me 4 months to really be able to do much. That was my third and worst break in 20 years.

The long recovery was caused by a combination of the bad multi-bone break and torn muscle. My previous two healed up in a month or a little more. I was on the trainer after about 3 weeks on those two. Hope you heal fast.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Probably looking at up to 6 weeks of immobilization.  Your season is shot.

ETA:

Unless you get hardware installed.

At which point you"ll have to recover from surgery, which takes a while.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

T boned a caddy at around 25mph on a training ride last Friday.

Go on...

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I plan on staying away from the road until I feel no pain. going to hang indoors and train during the giro races.

Good advice. My experience is that you will know when you can get back on the road again-pain is a great de-motivator. Some guys I've raced with were back on the bike within days/week most-others took longer. Try to keep your cardio up-(treadmill?) Watch your weight. How's the bike?

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#11]
A broken clavical will put you out for 3 weeks. The bone heals pretty quick. I had a nasty bulge when I broke mine so I decided to get some hardware. Recovery was 3-4 weeks from surgery then phys therapy which you can do at home.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:28:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I had surgery on my clavicle a year ago to correct issues from it healing wrong when I broke it many years ago. Do what the doctor says. If it heals crooked, you could end up with degenerative arthritis in your shoulder (which is what was wrong with mine).  

I haven't tried biking yet, and it took about 7 months until I could support my own weight on it. I still can't manage to do a pull-up or push-up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the tips guys.

Guess I am going to have to work on Rule #5 for the next few months .
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Hard to say.  I shattered mine in a skiing accident a few years back at Beaver Creek.  Had plates and screws put in the next day and was skiing again two weeks later...against doctors advice and very very carefully.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#15]
How old are you?

I broke my right clavicle right after I got home from the Army and I was throwing snowballs (RH) in about 3-4 weeks.  At the end of the 6 weeks that I was originally told my arm would be out of commission, I didn't even know I had broken it.    I broke my shoulder and it was almost the full 6 weeks and it still hurt like hell (atrophy.)

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#16]
About 3 years ago, I was at work hauling in some equipment out of one of the company vans at the end of the day when I slipped on the ice and fell. I broke the "stirrup joint" where my collar bone connects to the sternum. My doctor and physical therapist both said that I did not actually break my collar bone, but I was going to WISH that I had broken my collar bone because it would have healed a hekk of a lot faster than the broken joint would.

Skip ahead 3 years later and I'm just now starting to feel normal again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice. My experience is that you will know when you can get back on the road again-pain is a great de-motivator. Some guys I've raced with were back on the bike within days/week most-others took longer. Try to keep your cardio up-(treadmill?) Watch your weight. How's the bike?

Bike looks serviceable. I saw it coming and slammed on the brakes and my back wheel kicked out sent me sideways into the side of the car. One spoke broken, handlebars need to be adjusted, left hoods got scratched, and I guess gripped the handlebar tape off. I actually didnt even fall off the bike. I was more concerned about the bike then myself at the moment. I didnt check myself until I was able to find a safe spot for my bike.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why?  Those won't heal it any faster.  If anything, they'll extend the time you're off the bike, because after they remove the hardware, you'll have to heal up again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How old are you?

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  Those won't heal it any faster.  If anything, they'll extend the time you're off the bike, because after they remove the hardware, you'll have to heal up again.

Ive heard differently. I thought they left those in you. I will know tomorrow after I interrogate the ortho.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive heard differently. I thought they left those in you. I will know tomorrow after I interrogate the ortho.

Mine are still in me from January 2010.  They only take them out if they are bothering you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Is the cadillac okay?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#23]
The best answer is 'It depends'. Depends on the break.

When I broke mine, I just put on a 'figure 8' brace, and took some ibuprophen.

Was back riding my motorcycle in 2 weeks, racing in 3.

Back in the '80's I watched Scott Russel break his collarbone on Friday, strap it up,

and won the AMA Superbike race on Sunday.

Other people are out for months - just depends on the break.

The advantage with getting it plated is sometimes the pieces align better, and you wind up with

a zipper scar instead of a lump.

Either way, you will learn how to sleep in a chair, or sitting up in bed. Lying down sucks.

For more info, talk to a motorcycle road racer -they have all done it, or are about to.

eta YMMV

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is the cadillac okay?

Nope, I left a massive dent in the passenger side.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#25]
You're not a real cyclist until you break a collarbone. Most common semi-serious cycling injury.

It takes a ridiculously small amount of force to snap a collarbone compared to all the bones around it. It's supposed to be that way, so that the quick healing clavicle acts as a "crumple zone," absorbing energy and preventing more serious damage to the other bones in your shoulder/neck.

If you ride long enough, you break a collarbone. Part of the game..
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Details regarding just how OP found himself in this predicament are...lacking.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the cadillac okay?

So how much are you suing the driver for?

And how big of a ticket did the driver get from the police?

I'm a fellow rider, but mainly stick to mountain biking. Better scenery, and no morons in cars. Although, a serious injury out there could pose a problem. Always ride with a buddy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Get an operation so that it does not end up too short.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the cadillac okay?

I'm a fellow rider...

I'm not, and I'm not ready to make the assumption that the MV was at fault, either.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the cadillac okay?

I'm a fellow rider...
I'm not, and I'm not ready to make the assumption that the MV was at fault, either.  

If he t-boned the Cadillac, it is more likely that it's the MV's fault. Granted, the OP may have run a stop sign or other traffic control device, and I know many road cyclists do this. However, a bicyclist is a bicyclist, and they're treated as pedestrians here in MI. So technically, MV hit a pedestrian.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Please allow 4-6 weeks to heal.
You can ride a stationary trainer as soon as you are able but you will be sitting up to do it.

As others have said, your season is shot.
Just roll with it.
I have had some really bad injuries in my time and I have always came back stronger than I was before.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#32]
OP is a WUSSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take some drugs and be like Tyler.

JK, OP hope you heal quick.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I am 6+ months into my recovery for a clavicle that was fractured in 2 locations after a motorcycle wreck.  

I am still not at 100% and the bone reformation has been glacial.

But I am better off than I was a month ago - so I am hopeful.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the cadillac okay?

I'm a fellow rider...

If he t-boned the Cadillac, it is more likely that it's the MV's fault. Granted, the OP may have run a stop sign or other traffic control device, and I know many road cyclists do this. However, a bicyclist is a bicyclist, and they're treated as pedestrians here in MI. So technically, MV hit a pedestrian.

Not the case here in FL. Bike is a vehicle and must follow the rules MV's follow. I can't count the number of bikes I fixed from people who rode through crosswalks and got railed by cars, who were then blamed for the accident by the cops. Can't say I disagree.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If he t-boned the Cadillac, it is more likely that it's the MV's fault.

That's some fucked up logic by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're not an accident investigator for MSP.  

Let me explain the reasoning I used which has allowed me to more clearly understand that no assumption regarding the at fault party can be made -

1) Zero outrage.  Here is a man with a significant injury.  Were this injury incurred due to the negligence of another, there would be outrage...especially so since we have a cyclist involved.  Fucking cager, share the road, we're vehicles too, etc...

2) Zero details regarding the context of the accident.  If the accident were due to the fault of the MV, it is reasonable to expect that the injured party would preface the moment before impact with context especially since he said he saw it coming, i.e. 'I was approaching an intersection when a guy in a Caddy pulled up past the stop line and I t-boned him.'

3) Aside from a generalized injury and property damage report, there are zero details regarding what happened after the collision, i.e. MV was cited for 'X'.  The driver was apologetic and had insurance.

4) Seemingly, OP's biggest concern is getting back on the bike.  
Who was at fault?  I have no idea.  Personally I would like to know if only to add a data point to compare with my own personal experiences.  That's how we learn, and learning from other people's mistakes is inexpensive and valuable all at once.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Driver was faulted. Not sure what for yet. He was making a left hand turn into a shopping plaza which had a median dividing the entrance and exit. He was headed into the exit side. I saw him coming, slammed on my brakes, rear wheel kicked out turned me sideways and slammed me into his passenger side. My strava said I was doing 25 mph before I came to a stop. Strange how I synced my strava time right after calling 911.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Also, I was in the bike lane. Driver has insurance, he also thought I was going to jump back on my bike and head off. Though his story matched mine. He wasn't paying attention. Happy I was, if I didn't hit my brakes I would of been under his car.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Also, I was in the bike lane.

Bicycles do not belong on the street..
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then build me a lane above the street.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Texas, bicyclers can get a ticket if they ride on the sidewalk. They are legally required to ride on the street and follow traffic laws.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry you are broken.  Hope you heal soon.  When you start riding again, please implore your fellow riders to ride single file and all the way to the right so I don't have to spew my venomous hatred for all of you that force me and my family into the oncoming traffic lane.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:20:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Shittttt we have been using the same lawyer since 1989 in my family. He knew when I was put in the ambulance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sorry you are broken.  Hope you heal soon.  When you start riding again, please implore your fellow riders to ride single file and all the way to the right so I don't have to spew my venomous hatred for all of you that force me and my family into the oncoming traffic lane.

Thanks. Though I dont ride in groups, due to what you get mad about. There are some real idiots out there.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What do you do when there is a tractor on the road?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:26:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

He knew when I use put in the ambulance.

Well I'll be mother fucked...JaxonRaine was right.  Traumatic Brain Injuries and bicycles do go hand in hand.

Guess I'll have to go get Jr. a helmet today.  

Jay, you might want to call the Doc and see if you can schedule an MRI.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Cracked a rib on my park bike last summer, less than a month before I had to report for Mob... trianing for Afghanistan with a cracked rib is not fun.  I still can't run for shit since I pushed through it rather than taking it easy and my breathing sucks now.  I guess I'm saying don't push it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#48]
should have taken up brazilian jiu jitsu instead.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the cadillac okay?

I'm a fellow rider, but mainly stick to mountain biking. Better scenery, and no morons in cars. Although, a serious injury out there could pose a problem. Always ride with a buddy.

this

trails or offroad for me... I can't STAND riding with cars around...

lucky for me Philly has lots of biking trails

heal up quick OP...
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:41:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He knew when I use put in the ambulance.

Well I'll be mother fucked...JaxonRaine was right.  Traumatic Brain Injuries and bicycles do go hand in hand.

Guess I'll have to go get Jr. a helmet today.  

Jay, you might want to call the Doc and see if you can schedule an MRI.  

LOL, naw. Lucky I didnt hit my head since my silly cycling cap wouldnt of helped for shit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top