Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2002 6:43:51 AM EDT
Ok, I've been online for 2 hours, zone alarm has blocked 13 hits on my computer. This problem has been escalating over the last week. I have "Neo-traced" the hits to various places like Siberia, Greenland, Scotland, Wisconsin, Canada. When I trace the web pages I'm on they are different than the "hits".
I also run ad-aware, and spy-cop. Is there any way I can find out EXACTLY what these probes are?? Maybe shoot something back??
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Zone Alarm should tell you which port was being probed.  This should give you a good idea of the nature of the attack, if it is in fact an attack.  If I had to make a guess based on the facts you describe, I would say that the last person to be assigned the IP address that you were using was running file sharing software on their machine, and other machines using the same software were still expecting to find his files at that address.  Annoying, but harmless.

Here is a link to a comprehensive list of port assignments:

[url]http://webmail.cotse.com/dlf/man/ports/ports0_500.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Zone Alarm should tell you which port was being probed.  This should give you a good idea of the nature of the attack, if it is in fact an attack.  If I had to make a guess based on the facts you describe, I would say that the last person to be assigned the IP address that you were using was running file sharing software on their machine, and other machines using the same software were still expecting to find his files at that address.  Annoying, but harmless.

Here is a link to a comprehensive list of port assignments:

[url]http://webmail.cotse.com/dlf/man/ports/ports0_500.htm[/url]
View Quote

Interesting, so I go on-line at about the same time someone else gets off, I get the same IP address they had. BUT, I'm getting these hits from all over in one session, (without changing ip address's). Is there any way someone could hide (or distribute), their ip address, and look specifically for my computer on-line? If I get a different ip address everytime I log on, there's no way to do that, (someone to probe me), unless I also act as a server and broadcast my presence right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top