User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2013 1:43:42 PM EDT
This is a neat little video.

I would love to do something like that.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived like that for 20 years in Montana & Idaho.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
god, it was my dream from the time I was a kid to go cross country on horseback.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"Mountain Men" sounds kinda funny when you say it out loud....

TRG
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd really like to do that.  All I have to do is figure out how to be 20 again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to do that before my son leaves home.  He's pretty good with horses.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Youth is wasted on the young......most of the time.  These guys got it right.

ETA:  Helluva way to "waste" 6 months of your life.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
No thanks!

Props to them though...

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Ya think?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Tell the truth... you're moist now, aren't you?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#10]
That was cool!

I remember that Boy Scout Jamboree at Farragut. I was a Scout then and lived just 80 miles away but I did not get to go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Wanna find out?

TRG
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
All that and they got on an airplane and flew home in four hours

Pretty cool story.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
3 guys alone in the wilderness, no chicks, for 6 months.

Yeah, sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Six solid months of manhood camping.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for sharing OP
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Very Cool,

Most I've done in either the 18th Century style or modern is 9 days.  Now with a wife and kids, aint ever gonna happen

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty cool......but they weren't REAL mountain men without having to worry about a wild Indian behind every bush.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
That was awesome. "I wish's" flooded my mind when I read that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

it took you 20 years to ride from Montana to Idaho?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'd really like to do that.  All I have to do is figure out how to be 20 again.

Yup, and if you figure it out don't keep it a secret.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Wanna find out?

TRG

Why am I not surprised you'd show up?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#23]
At what point do you think they stop hiding their masturbation sessions from each other and just did the circle jerk around the campfire?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#24]
That story would make a good movie.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

At what point do you think they stop hiding their masturbation sessions from each other and just did the circle jerk around the campfire?

Day 2

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#27]
What a trip it must have been.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Twenty years old?  Hell, I'd do that tomorrow if I knew it wouldn't forsake my wife, children, business, etc.

It's a sad parallel when responsibilities encumber selfish adventure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks fun. I couldn't do it though. Horses and I don't get along.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I knew who it was before I opened the thread.

The story of American Mountain Men is an interesting one. (The club, not the general group of originals). They started as a survivalist group and the more they got into it, they realized that the only real way to be sustainable is to adopt 19th century technology.

They were used as extras, advisors and loaned a lot of stuff to the movie The Mountain Men with Charleton Heston and Brian Keith. Worth your time to watch, if you've not done so.

Here are some of his pictures from the trip.
http://www.thelongridersguild.com/library/hengesbaugh/hengesbaugh.htm

ETA Just watched the vid. Very cool to see the follow up of the guys, today. Not what I expected. When reading about it as a kid in the seventies, they made like they had it down. Jeff was what's called a "hivernant" in the AMM. This is a high rank that shows great accomplishment and skill at 19th century tasks and knowledge.

Funny that, as much as they knew and could do, they look back and can say how much they were ignorant of.

And how cool would that have been to be a boy scout, there?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]

this is why i come to arfcom

we were just having dinner talking about jeremiah johnsoning it up in the mountains

timing is everything

thanks op!

you just made my day bro.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The story of American Mountain Men is an interesting one. (The club, not the general group of originals). They started as a survivalist group and the more they got into it, they realized that the only real way to be sustainable is to adopt 19th century technology.

They were used as extras, advisors and loaned a lot of stuff to the movie The Mountain Men with Charleton Heston and Brian Keith. Worth your time to watch, if you've not done so.

ETA Just watched the vid. Very cool to see the follow up of the guys, today. Not what I expected. When reading about it as a kid in the seventies, they made like they had it down. Jeff was what's called a "hivernant" in the AMM. This is a high rank that shows great accomplishment and skill at 19th century tasks and knowledge.

Funny that, as much as they knew and could do, they look back and can say how much they were ignorant of.

Im not much of a joiner anymore, between a Frat in college and then the Army, well ive figured out where joining gets ya, but I have been mulling over joining the AMM, It seems like it might actually be worth it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

It sounds even funnier when you say "Brokeback Mountain Men".
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I liked the quote
"We didn't run into anymore problems, just a change in plans"

Awesome
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I think it's kind of sad and disgusting that wingnutx posts an interesting video of a trek accomplished by three men which VERY FUCKING FEW would or could accomplish and what is remarked on here is homosexual bullshit.

I'm sure you'd say the same about LRRPS in the field "helpin' each other out?

Unless you've tried this sort of thing, you've go no clue as to what it takes, or the feeling of accomplishment it gives to succeed at it. So, I guess it's easier to salve your insecurities by sitting back and making fun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Day 2

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#38]
When I turned 36 I married a young blonde goddess, sold my house and business and moved to an isolated area of the Northern Rockies.  Spent 20+ years deer & elk hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, snowmobiling, dirt biking, etc., etc.  Never regretted it!  Live your dream now, because if you wait until retirement you'll be too damn old to do all the things you really want to do!  
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Six gallons of water when they started in Arizona.  That speaks volumes about how much they DIDN'T know.

I spend a couple days on trails in the middle of nowhere and it kicks my ass.  I never whine no matter how hot it gets.  Once you see an old mining facility from the 1800s and realize what suffering it took to haul and build all that, nothing seems tough sitting on a 4 stroke engine a few hours away from AC and cold shower.

Cool find!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When I turned 36 I married a young blonde goddess, sold my house and business and moved to an isolated area of the Northern Rockies.  Spent 20+ years deer & elk hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, snowmobiling, dirt biking, etc., etc.  Never regretted it!  Live your dream now, because if you wait until retirement you'll be too damn old to do all the things you really want to do!  

pics of goddess?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#41]
That's awesome.  Though I question them just being suburban kids who knew nothing prior to starting out.  It would have taken a lot of knowledge acquired from somewhere to outfit themselves with the gear, as well as to use and operate the flintlocks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:33:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Well this thread when from zero to gay in about 4 posts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's awesome.  Though I question them just being suburban kids who knew nothing prior to starting out.  It would have taken a lot of knowledge acquired from somewhere to outfit themselves with the gear, as well as to use and operate the flintlocks.

They were hardly "just suburban kids". If you peruse the AMM site, you'll see what they're about. The interviews are with old men, looking back on an experience 40 years ago. I'm sure they see themselves as quite green, compared to what they know now.

However, you don't have all that stuff they had (brain tanned buckskins, hand made accutremonts, period horse tack, custom rifles, etc) as well as the knowledge of how to use them to live from the land by just reading about it in a suburban library. The AMM set very high standards for the title Jeff had, at the time. Now, I'm sure that compared to someone who lived it, they were just getting started. I'd have to think these guys were a bit more accomplished than what was portrayed by the greenhorn in Jerimiah Johnson but maybe not quite a Chriss Lapp.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:49:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think it's kind of sad and disgusting that wingnutx posts an interesting video of a trek accomplished by three men which VERY FUCKING FEW would or could accomplish and what is remarked on here is homosexual bullshit.

Unless you've tried this sort of thing, you've go no clue as to what it takes, or the feeling of accomplishment it gives to succeed at it. So, I guess it's easier to salve your insecurities by sitting back and making fun.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not much of a joiner anymore, between a Frat in college and then the Army, well ive figured out where joining gets ya, but I have been mulling over joining the AMM, It seems like it might actually be worth it.

Are you going to make it down to the NMLRA spring shoot? Be nice to meet you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#46]
That first dude looks like a old Will Ferrel!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media.washtimes.com/media/community/image/2012/10/16/lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg?7f6c82c4e3ebc52dbf2e980dcc8631719b6d5f11

Oh, I'm light. I understand the mentality. A person knows they would have no hope of coming close to the accomplishment of another so they feel the need to make light of it. Common human trait. I get it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm envious as hell! I would love the opportunity to attempt a journey like that!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media.washtimes.com/media/community/image/2012/10/16/lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg?7f6c82c4e3ebc52dbf2e980dcc8631719b6d5f11

Oh, I'm light. I understand the mentality. A person knows they would have no hope of coming close to the accomplishment of another so they feel the need to make light of it. Common human trait. I get it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
3 guys alone in the wilderness, no chicks, for 6 months.

Yeah, sounds awesome.

They screwed Indian girls along the way.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top