Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2002 7:58:54 PM EDT
Oh shite!  I just got off the phone with Zed - he will not be able to come to the ETH shoot.  We'll have no plates to shoot unless others can be purchased / made / brought.  I might be able to go borrow them from him - he lives in Bluff Dale (SW of Granbury).  230 miles round trip.  Anybody else have any plates that they can bring?  If not, anybody know of a good material supplier?  Material Zed uses is 3/8" formalloy 400.  A 44"x44" sheet is $125.00 - unfortunately, Zed hassn't been able to find a supplier where he lives now.  anybody with an inside line on hardened steel plate?

WOE IS ME!!!  The plate shoots are the BEST!!!

Any input appreciated!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes..I was wanting to get in on some plate action this time.

I can bring balloons i guess...but somewhat messy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Just have everyone bring their wife's best skillet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn.....

My club was just given several hundred square feet of armour plate!!

So far it is proof against .375 H&H which dents it..

7.62 x 39 does not even scratch it!!

To bad I am so far away..........

Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Damnit!!!

Thanks for thinking of us, Stormbringer2.

Any other ideas, gents?

Othewise, I've got a 5+ hour trip with a 6 mo. old in tow to get the plates.  Not a huge ordeal, but it does knock out 1/2 of one of the two days I have to prepare for the ETH shoot.

****I would also suggest a $1 per shooter donation to Zed for those shooting in the plate competitions.  See the above mentioned cost of these plates (not to mention his time cutting/grinding them - and it takes multiple sheets to make the number of targets needed).  They are sturdy, but they don't last forever - and he's letting us shoot them at an event he can't even attend.  Just a thought.  Input?

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Do whatever you think necessary, [b]Tate[/b], and I will make certain that your efforts are duly rewarded!

I'll be looking around myself, to see what I can scrounge up, as well.

Dang it! I hate to see anything take you away from time at the Farm!

Eric The(Thankful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#6]
You've got to be kidding, Eric.

Thank you, but YOU are providing us a place to gather and shoot!  YOU don't owe any of US a damned thing!  We all owe YOU!

The wife says that 5 hrs in the truck with the baby is a no-go.  She thinks I'll get frustrated from having to stop for diaper changes and feeding/burping.  She's *probably* right.

So.

She is taking a vacation day off of work to go to Bluff Dale with me to get the plates unless I call her in the next couple of hours (she's on her way to work right now).  God bless her!

If there are any alternatives - let me know ASAP!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I think we can take a collection to help pay for your gas, plus some for Zed.

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Im in for donations of plates and gas for driver.

Thanks Tate, and to your lovely wife also for putting herself out for us.

TXLEWIS

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:20:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure Zed will appreciate it!

Can't wait!

"shooter on the left ready?"

"shooter on the right ready?"

"GO!"

love that pinging "thwap!" sound!!! [:D]

For folks not in the know, there will be "irons only" and "anything goes" shoots along with pistol shoots too.

Don't forget your irons, Boom/Bong - that way you can win BOTH classes!  Maybe!
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
..."anything goes" shoots...
View Quote

Up to .308 only...Zed wasn't too keen when I suggested using a .300 WinMag![:d]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey All,
I run a steel distributor here in NJ, if you are interested I have alot of misc plate cuts here. They are all Hi-Strength A588-Corten, ranging from 5/16" - 3/4" I can have them cut up to shipable pcs and send them down for the cost of freight only. Let me know if you are interested.

Stew
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[b]
Quoted:
Hey All,
I run a steel distributor here in NJ, if you are interested I have alot of misc plate cuts here. They are all Hi-Strength A588-Corten, ranging from 5/16" - 3/4" I can have them cut up to shipable pcs and send them down for the cost of freight only. Let me know if you are interested.

Stew
View Quote
[/b]

That's a very nice gesture, Stew.
 I'm sure the guys won't refuse it.  Who wants to take this task?
View Quote

That is one heck of an offer, but I'm sure delivery by Friday AM would tend to be very expensive.  I am going to check with a scrap metal dealer here in Austin on Thursday morning to see what I can find since they charge by the pound.  If it is not too expensive, I'll get a couple of good sized pieces and bring them with me.  I don't have any means to cut or weld this stuff so if anyone has the tools to do this kind of work it would be cool if you would bring it out to the farm.  I plan on donating it to ETH and leaving it there for future use.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#17]
frisco - yeah, .300 WM would smack em up pretty good!!!

up to 30.06 - no problem - as long as it's not AP

I meant "anything goes" as far as sights/optics VS iron sights only.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thanks for the offer, Stew!!!

We can discuss getting the funds together to ship the stuff at the shoot.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

DP.  I was thinking for future use. [:D]
 BTW, you'll be there on Thursday, huh?
View Quote

Yupper!  Last time, we jumped in the truck at 0200, and arrived at the Down Home Bakery in Chilicothe at 0800 for breakfast.  Then headed over to the farm and kept a very high ops tempo until 0300.  Slept until first light which was about 4 hrs, shot some more, cleaned up what we could while others kept the range hot, packed up the tent and drove 7 hours back to Austin.  I had about 6 hrs sleep in 3 days!

I was worn the ph^ck out!

This way we should be able to get a good nights rest before the trip, and maximize the 3 days without killing ourselves.

Tate,  You can count on me to help out with some gas $ for yourself, and target fees for Zed!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Tate,

What do you think of a long range contest?

We could do the same stuff as last time, but after that we could move the targets out to say 400-500 yds and let the long range shooters go toe to toe.

Just an idea...
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the offers of help with the expenses!

It will be good to see Zed anyway.  Too bad he's busy weaning calves.

A long range competition would be fine frisco - we just have to make sure that other shooting areas are open or that everyone will agree to extended periods of no shooting.  A half mile round trip to set up targets will take a loooong time depending on the number of participants.

A motorcycle or 4 wheeler would make things much better - with ETH's permission to use them on a designated trail in that field, of course.  We'd have to ask him about that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#21]
[size=4]I am so up for this weekend![/size=4]

Yes, we can use a 4-wheeler to drive around the edge of the field to reposition targets, etc., as the tenant has planted his winter wheat crop, already, so we shouldn't be driving on the field itself.

Eric The(Anxious)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm ready too...

Maybe we could set-up the regular range, plus a long range...to facilitate the time it takes to setup the plates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top