BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/21/2013 8:50:46 PM EDT
Gentlemen, there are no wrong answers

Chicago Italian Beef-
Italian beef is made using cuts of beef from the sirloin rear or the top/bottom round wet-roasted in broth with garlic, oregano and spices until medium rare or medium. The roast is then cooled, shaved using a deli slicer,[2] and then reintroduced to its reheated beef broth. The beef then sits in the broth, typically for hours. Once a sandwich is ordered, the beef is then drawn from the broth and placed directly on the bread. Because the meat is served dripping wet it is necessary to use a chewy bread, as a softer bread would disintegrate. The typical bread used is long, Italian style loaves without seeds sliced from six to eight inches in length. Italian beef can also be shredded instead of sliced.

Philly Cheese Steak-
The meat traditionally used is thinly sliced rib-eye or top round, although other cuts of beef are also used.[10] On a lightly oiled griddle at medium temperature, the steak slices are quickly browned and then scrambled into smaller pieces with a flat spatula. Slices of cheese are then placed over the meat, letting it melt, and then the roll is placed on top of the cheese. The mixture is then scooped up with a spatula, pressed into the roll, and cut in half.White American cheese along with Provolone cheese are the favorites due to the mild flavor and medium consistency of American cheese. Some places pre-melt the American cheese to achieve the creamy consistency, while others just put freshly cut slices over the meat, letting it melt slightly under the heat. Philadelphia Inquirer restaurant critic Craig LaBan says "Provolone is for aficionados, extra-sharp for the most discriminating among them." Geno's late owner, Joey Vento, said, "We always recommend the provolone. That's the real cheese."

Reuben Sandwich-
The Reuben sandwich is a hot sandwich of corned beef, Swiss cheese, with Russian or Thousand Island dressing, and sauerkraut. These are grilled between slices of rye bread. Several variants exist

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
+1. But given the choice, #1 on the poll.
Quoted:
Yes.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheesesteaks are overrated.....

The Reuben is damn near perfection.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Italian Beef for the win, there are too many assholes that have corrupted the purity of the Philly Cheese Steak and they are unholy bastards.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread is bullshit, you can't actually expect me to choose just one do you?

EDIT: Seriously though, I'd have to go with philly cheesesteak.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Reuben wins every time.  It just sounds so filthy...  Like the dirty sanchez of the sandwich world.

Throw in some of the dipping sauce for the italian beef and we're talking
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Reuben wins every time.  It just sounds so filthy...  Like the dirty sanchez of the sandwich world.

It is implied there is aju present, as that is the ONLY way it is to be eaten, sir.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to pick? Why can't I have them all?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is implied there is aju present, as that is the ONLY way it is to be eaten, sir.

Italian Beef is served wet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Where's the taco?

Edit:I voted Reuben.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where's the taco?

Tacos are good but they are not a Sammich.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Reuben
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where's the taco?

That is for another time sir... we have real men things afoot here. Not some mexican peasant food.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Reuben every time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Your cheesesteak description fails to mention "wiz wit".
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Italian Beef followed very closely by the Reuben and on some days it takes the cake.
Philly = Meh... never been a huge fan.

ETA: I wonder if the low ranking of the Italian Beef in this poll is partially due to the fact that you cannot get a real Italian Beef in many parts of the country. My brother was living in San Antonio for a year or so and he made his own slow cooked ital. beef and brought it to a local pot luck because the locals had never had it. Are there alot of southerners that have never experienced this glorious sandwich of wonderful meat in it true form? I wonder....
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Philly.  Reubens suck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes.

Fpni
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You are picking 2 regional sandwiches vs a non regional sandwich.  It is pretty obvious what sandwich has the advantage.

EDIT:  Italian Beef.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]
A properly done Reuban, puts damn near any sandwich to shame. Really no competition.

Heres a bit of a non traditional take.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Wagyu Philly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#22]
There are no wrong answers here sirs...
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Philly. No contest.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Cheesesteak! How can there be any question on this!?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your cheesesteak description fails to mention "wiz wit".

A REAL Philly is "wiz wit" and no fucking green peppers.

The Cuban deserves an honorable mention

A Cuban sandwich is a variation of a ham and cheese originally created in cafes catering to Cuban workers in Cuba and in the early Cuban immigrant communities of Florida: Key West[1] and Ybor City, Tampa.[2][3][4] Later on, Cuban exiles and expatriates brought it to Miami[4] where it is also still very popular. The sandwich is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard, and sometimes salami[3] on Cuban bread.[2]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Being from Omaha, the Reuben is the only answer.  

And the best Reuben of all: http://www.omaha.com/article/20120127/GO/120129691

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#27]
This is arfcom. I want all three.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Hardest poll ever
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Vote count 127

No homo
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#30]
For starters, how about we get a picture of what a cheesesteak is supposed to look like?

Steak, onions, provolone cheese, bread.  That's it.  Seriously, that's all the ingredients.  Get those fucking peppers and tomato shit off of there.  
Pizza steaks are acceptable, but it's a completely different sandwich.

The cheesesteak (one word), is simple, pure, greasy, salty, ridiculously sharp cheesey, meaty goodness.  It is the best sandwich ever created.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I like all of the those, but I prefer a Cuban sandwich over all of them.

Toasted Cuban bread
Mustard
Roast Pork (Cuban Style)
Ham
Swiss Cheese
Pickles (I order it without. Not a pickle fan.)

And some plantain chips on the side.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A properly done Reuban, puts damn near any sandwich to shame. Really no competition.

Heres a bit of a non traditional take.
http://idahosojourn.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/ricks_press_room_5_reuben_best1.jpg

Pardon my language, but I would fuck that sandwich up.  Oh.  Wow.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh man don't make me choose. I love them all like they were my children.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For starters, how about we get a picture of what a cheesesteak is supposed to look like?

http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/qcOlY8UY0shMG5QGXiMt6w/l.jpg

Steak, onions, provolone cheese, bread.  That's it.  Seriously, that's all the ingredients.  Get those fucking peppers and tomato shit off of there.  
Pizza steaks are acceptable, but it's a completely different sandwich.

The cheesesteak (one word), is simple, pure, greasy, salty, ridiculously sharp cheesey, meaty goodness.  It is the best sandwich ever created.

That's crazy talk.  Peppers belong on a cheesesteak.  Peppers, onion, steak, bread and WHIZ.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Homemade Reuben - there is no other sandwich!!!

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Voted Reuben.

An Italian beef, with the right meat.  (thin, not overdone, no chalky taste, on the right Genoan bread, with some gardinara and Mozzarella cheese comes close.   I've found them impossible to find outside of Chicago.(even there, there were tons of shit meat, on soggy weak bread ) =(

in Wi it just doesn't exist.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#38]
If it is called a "Philly Cheesesteak" instead of just "cheesesteak",  don't eat it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Rueben by a mile. The rest are pedestrian fare.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cheesesteaks are overrated.....

The Reuben is damn near perfection.

I'm not sure what kind of fuckery is at play in the poll where a cheesesteak is tied with a reuben.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Italian beef > everything.

Yes I'm from Chicago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Italian beef > everything.

Yes I'm from Chicago.

From Portillo's or Pop's, yes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Ruben.

I will eat all three, but I refuse to vote for anything with "Chicago" or "Philly" in the name.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#44]

You are right...there are no wrong answers.  Top three favorite sandwiches of all time right there.  

I couldn't pick one.  It would depend where I was at and what kind of mood I was in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#45]
OP, you are a sick and twisted person.  You cant list 3 of the greatest sammichs and tell us to pick 1.
They are all 3 works of art and I could probably live the rest of my life on just those 3 choices.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Italian Beef followed very closely by the Reuben and on some days it takes the cake.
Philly = Meh... never been a huge fan.

ETA: I wonder if the low ranking of the Italian Beef in this poll is partially due to the fact that you cannot get a real Italian Beef in many parts of the country. My brother was living in San Antonio for a year or so and he made his own slow cooked ital. beef and brought it to a local pot luck because the locals had never had it. Are there alot of southerners that have never experienced this glorious sandwich of wonderful meat in it true form? I wonder....
Italian beef loses points because it is so associated with Chicago. Philly > Reuban > Italian beef.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ruben.

I will eat all three, but I refuse to vote for anything with "Chicago" or "Philly" in the name.

You guys voting against a city instead of a sandwich are just lame. There are plenty of conservative people in the suburbs of Chicago and Philly. Schamburg, IL is like 90%+ conservative, and the same can be said about Philly suburbs. I don't let inner city Atlanta sway my vote. Like it or not, the South simply has nothing to offer outside of BBQ. Northern food is real food. Yes I was born and raised in the South, but come on, we suck at making food. Herpaderp cornbread and bqq herpaderp. That's it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Philly all day long! Pastrami would be my other choice!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#49]
The Reuben is the apex of the sandwich making art.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top