Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2013 2:21:53 AM EDT
The thread about the kid getting inspired by in to the wild, and getting lost, got me thinking of some books I read in Elementary School, and I got nostalgic, I wouldn't mind re reading them, but I can't remember some of the titles, or enough details to run a decent google search, so I thought I'd ask here, and see if any of you think they sound familiar, and can give me the titles, I think I read them in 6th grade, so the publication dates would have to be 1996, or before, maybe 1997, but that's pushing it.

Book one:  A brother, and Sister are living in a museum, I think in New York, but I'm not sure.  I almost want to say it was related to the book "The Box Car Children", but again, I'm not sure.  I'm pretty sure it had a sequel though, and we read both books, but again I'm not positive.  The only thing I'm sure of is that it was a Brother, and Sister living in a museum.

Book 2:  It was about a young girl, and I remember the main plot had something to do with people being turned in to statues, or statues attacking people.

Book 3:  Another young girl, but this one at the start of the book I think may have been in India, but I think she was British, she lived in a Quonset Hut, her parents had some kind of party, and she snuck some wine.  Everyone but her died in a Cholera outbreak, and she went to live somewhere else.  I remember it had moors, so maybe Scotland?, and some of the other characters occasionaly used a word, or sentence, or two in a different language, Welsh, or Yiddish?, I'm not sure what it was.

Book 4:  A plague wiped out everyone over 13, the book is about the kids trying to survive.  The first chapter opened with the main character (I think it was a girl) kicking out a window to loot an abandoned house for food.  They eventually ended up fortifying the highschool, and armed themselves with .22s to defend themselves against a violent gang of some kind.

Anybody recognize any of those books?

ETA.  1, 3, and 4 seem to have been identified, but 2 is now officially driving me nuts.  Anybody have the title?
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The thread about the kid getting inspired by in to the wild, and getting lost, got me thinking of some books I read in Elementary School, and I got nostalgic, I wouldn't mind re reading them, but I can't remember some of the titles, or enough details to run a decent google search, so I thought I'd ask here, and see if any of you think they sound familiar, and can give me the titles, I think I read them in 6th grade, so the publication dates would have to be 1996, or before, maybe 1997, but that's pushing it.

Book one:  A brother, and Sister are living in a museum, I think in New York, but I'm not sure.  I almost want to say it was related to the book "Box Car", but again, I'm not sure.  I'm pretty sure it had a sequel though, and we read both books, but again I'm not positive.  The only thing I'm sure of is that it was a Brother, and Sister living in a museum.

Book 2:  It was about a young girl, and I remember the main plot had something to do with people being turned in to statues.

Book 3:  Another young girl, but this one at the start of the book I think may have been in India, but I think she was British, she lived in a Quonset Hut, her parents had some kind of party, and she snuck some wine.  Everyone but her died in a Cholera outbreak, and she went to live somewhere else.  I remember it had moors, so maybe Scotland?, and some of the other characters occasionaly used a word, or sentence, or two in a different language, Welsh, or Yiddish?, I'm not sure what it was.

Book 4:  A plague wiped out everyone over 13, the book is about the kids trying to survive.  The first chapter opened with the main character (I think it was a girl) kicking out a window to loot an abandoned house for food.  They eventually ended up fortifying the highschool, and armed themselves with .22s to defend themselves against a violent gang of some kind.

Book 1 is From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

Book 4 is The Girl Who Owned A City.

ETA: The cover art for the newer editions of The Girl Who Owned A City sucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
There a lot of young girls in you SHTF fantasy. Why don't you have a seat right over there and Chris Hansen will be along shortly to interview you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Book 3: Another young girl, but this one at the start of the book I think may have been in India, but I think she was British, she lived in a Quonset Hut, her parents had some kind of party, and she snuck some wine. Everyone but her died in a Cholera outbreak, and she went to live somewhere else. I remember it had moors, so maybe Scotland?, and some of the other characters occasionaly used a word, or sentence, or two in a different language, Welsh, or Yiddish?, I'm not sure what it was.

The Secret Garden?
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Book 1 immediately reminded me of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Mixed-Up_Files_of_Mrs._Basil_E._Frankweiler

The others don't ring a bell.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Book one:  A brother, and Sister are living in a museum, I think in New York, but I'm not sure.  I almost want to say it was related to the book "Box Car", but again, I'm not sure.  I'm pretty sure it had a sequel though, and we read both books, but again I'm not positive.  The only thing I'm sure of is that it was a Brother, and Sister living in a museum.

Book 2:  It was about a young girl, and I remember the main plot had something to do with people being turned in to statues.

Incredible, two, for two, I was just reminded of these tonight, but I have been looking off, and on for a couple of years, and you nailed it in a few minutes.  Thank You.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Book 3: Another young girl, but this one at the start of the book I think may have been in India, but I think she was British, she lived in a Quonset Hut, her parents had some kind of party, and she snuck some wine. Everyone but her died in a Cholera outbreak, and she went to live somewhere else. I remember it had moors, so maybe Scotland?, and some of the other characters occasionaly used a word, or sentence, or two in a different language, Welsh, or Yiddish?, I'm not sure what it was.

The Secret Garden?

I think you got it, looking back it seems like it should have been obvious, but apparently not to me.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Mixed-Up_Files_of_Mrs._Basil_E._Frankweiler

Haha, I remember reading that. They ID the statue by the imprint it leaves on its base, right?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, I remember reading that. They ID the statue by the imprint it leaves on its base, right?

Yeah, in the carpet, I think.  Sheesh, I think I read that in like 4th grade or something.  It's one of those books that really let's a kid picture himself in the story.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, in the carpet, I think.  Sheesh, I think I read that in like 4th grade or something.  It's one of those books that really let's a kid picture himself in the story.

That it is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incredible, two, for two, I was just reminded of these tonight, but I have been looking off, and on for a couple of years, and you nailed it in a few minutes.  Thank You.

The Girl Who Owned A City has always stuck in my head.  I've always loved reading that kind of stuff.  I wrote about similar scenarios when in elementary school, enough so that it disturbed my teachers.  

The other I've always remembered for the title.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 1:46:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Secret Garden?

I think you got it, looking back it seems like it should have been obvious, but apparently not to me.  Thanks.

My brother helped produce a stage production of that story once.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I LOVED that book when I was kid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Book 2: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good point -- I had forgotten about the White Witch's statues... but I still think he would have remembered some more key plot points if that was the one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I just hit Amazon.  1, 3, and 4 are now incoming.

Anyone have any ideas on 2?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top