Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2001 8:45:35 PM EDT
If the gov't issued to write a book or give a speech and kept a database, would you get one?

If the gov't issued licenses to have a political meeting, would you get one?

If you had to be photographed and thumbprinted to practice a religion, would you do it?

If only special permit holders were exempted from arbitrary or unreasonable searches, would you get in line?

To permit is to control.  Food for thought.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You are right on the money. Let me tell you, living in CA can force you to do bad things. When I am 21 and buy my first handgun, I will SERIOUSLY consider carrying with or without a permit. I am leaning toward one at the moment, take a guess.

radioman

Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I then assume Polymer has no car? Or professional liscences or certifications? Pays no taxes? Has no mailable address? Pays with cash? Burned his social security card, moved to the mountains?

A CCW permit serves a purpose that otherwise you'd be harrassed and put in jail for illegal carry. I'd rather be around to protect my family than do 6 months in jail with killers, rapists and...uh..killer rapists. It's an unfortunate hoop many have to jump through just to get what is truly promised them by the US Constitution and 2nd Amendment.

And honestly, If someone reeeeeally wants to find out who you are, where you live, what you drive, what financial holdings you own/have....

It's not hard at all. Go to Yahoo People Search and see what $59.95 gets you from 1 800 USSEARCH.

[blue]On a spooky sidebar. A few months ago I received a phonecall from a local newspaper reporter. He does a column(a little one paragraph blurb) in the NY Newsday on Sundays about people with custom license plates. Why they got it, what it means blah blah blah. My number is unlisted, and I thought on;y police could get a hold of NYS Motor vehicle info. Hmmm silly me. He had someone at NEWSDAY run my plate and garnered all my info from the state. Including, I guess, my phone number. You can't hide my friend, if someone wants you badly enough.[/blue]

If you were gonna put an addition on your house you'll need a building PERMIT.

Whether you like it or not almost every facet of our lives is regulatable in some way, shape, or form. Short of going to live in a tree, in the mountains and hunting your own food(with the proper permits of course) there really is no way to hide from this crap, soooooo....

I think I'll get a pistol permit.

If you think one more permit's gonna sink us...
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
radioman, have you seriously considered moving somewhere that you don't have to choose between being a criminal and being a statistic?
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
First you must decide if the penalty for getting cought carrying without a permit outways what could happen if you were a victom of violent crime.

You must deside between DEATH or a fine/jail sentence.

Think hard.................  
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I am 21 and buy my first handgun, I will SERIOUSLY consider carrying with or without a permit. I am leaning toward one at the moment, take a guess.

radioman

View Quote

Hey if your willing to do the crime.....

I'm sure some cop will be more than happy to SERIOUSLY consider dragging your ass to jail.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess five states will have to fight over who controls me [:)]
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
There you are, my practical star.

We've miles of files, files of your forefather's fruit. And NOW, TO SUIT OUR [size=3][red]GREAT COMPUTER[/size=3][/red]!!
you're [blue]magnetic[/blue] ink.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
pretty files
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
CCW is available in CA. More so 30-40 miles inland, less so in the coastal regions (i.e. heavily democrat). In my county, you bribe, I mean contribute, to the sheriff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~joeloftus/shared/rwsccp.jpg[/img]

Just foolin' around. [8D]
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~joeloftus/shared/rwsccp.jpg[/img]

Just foolin' around. [8D]
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Yep.
Me Too.

Thank god for Dixieland.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~joeloftus/shared/rwsccp2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Yo, RamblinWreck, do you know any family by the name of Eric Loftus? I don't think that's a popular last name.

radioman
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Just to prove a point, went to Yahoo and looked up the previous poster of a pistol permit. Found a lot of Loftus's in GA, and even one inyour hometown. It's way to easy if someone wants to get info on you.

Uh, I'd hide yer DOB if'n I wuz you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Good! Strong reactions!

Quoted:
I then assume Polymer has no car? Or professional liscences or certifications? Pays no taxes? Has no mailable address? Pays with cash? Burned his social security card, moved to the mountains?

A CCW permit serves a purpose that otherwise you'd be harrassed and put in jail for illegal carry. I'd rather be around to protect my family than do 6 months in jail with killers, rapists and...uh..killer rapists. It's an unfortunate hoop many have to jump through just to get what is truly promised them by the US Constitution and 2nd Amendment.

And honestly, If someone reeeeeally wants to find out who you are, where you live, what you drive, what financial holdings you own/have....
View Quote

I honestly don't know how you are able to assume this.  The point I am trying to make is that I think it is funny how people get so excited about being "allowed" to enjoy a constitutional right in a round-about way.  That has nothing to do with my car, my house, or my taxes.  Personally, I think that if you have a permit, good for you.  Realize that it is NOT freedom, but control.

As for whether or not you should actually carry w/o a permit, well, that is a choice you must make for yourself.  I personally would advise against it unless you a) don't have any hang-ups about jail or b) live in Vermont or Idaho.

What I'm trying to say is that when you get a permit, you are acknowledging that it is the government's RIGHT to permit your 2nd Amend PRIVELAGE.  Don't get stuck on whether or not you should get a permit, just recognize what it is you are doing, that's all.

P.S. - My financial info?  What does THAT have to do with CCW's?  Besides, I don't have enough money to worry about that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I aint hidin' from nobody.
Nobody's hiding from me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I think what Sherm is trying to get at is that you should take greater measures to protect yourself from identity theft whenever possible.  It happened to my Mom once.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Believe me, if a real spook wanted to find any of you it would be a trivial task. There is no mystery who any of us are. Obscure handles and anon email is not security, if you think it is you are mistaken, friends.

Whatever. I'm going to bed. [sleep]
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
ok i wont!
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Bottom line, polymer, is that you're right.  It is wrong for the government to be able to require a permit to exercise a right.

The fact that you're right is also irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:54:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just move to Vermont and you wont have to worry about it.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[B][BLUE]NRA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.nra.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]GOA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.gunowners.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAF Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.saf.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAS Supporter[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.sas-aim.org[/URL]
View Quote

you wont like it here. too damn cold. we got six months of winter u know...then it rains....
then a week of summer...then winter again......
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 2:07:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's not hard at all. Go to Yahoo People Search and see what $59.95 gets you from 1 800 USSEARCH.

[blue]On a spooky sidebar. A few months ago I received a phonecall from a local newspaper reporter. He does a column(a little one paragraph blurb) in the NY Newsday on Sundays about people with custom license plates. Why they got it, what it means blah blah blah. My number is unlisted, and I thought on;y police could get a hold of NYS Motor vehicle info. Hmmm silly me. He had someone at NEWSDAY run my plate and garnered all my info from the state. Including, I guess, my phone number. You can't hide my friend, if someone wants you badly enough.[/blue]

If you were gonna put an addition on your house you'll need a building PERMIT.

Whether you like it or not almost every facet of our lives is regulatable in some way, shape, or form. Short of going to live in a tree, in the mountains and hunting your own food(with the proper permits of course) there really is no way to hide from this crap, soooooo....

I think I'll get a pistol permit.

If you think one more permit's gonna sink us...
View Quote

This attitude is just what the tyrants want, but then again, "why should this response surprise anyone, this one is from NEW YORK the EMPIRE STATE, where SCUM like SHUMER are bred!"
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 3:52:08 AM EDT
[#24]
In Georgia, it's easy to get a carry permit, and it's done at the local level, which means if you aren't a bad person (it goes to Atlanta for background check) your approved locally, and the Probate Judge who approves in Columbia county is not anti-gun, she is old South, which means men (and women) have a right to carry.
You can also carry in your car without any hassel -- that's why we're so polite down here.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Vermont is the only state I know of that you don't need a license to carry concealed. Resident or non-resident. Every state should be like that. Give it time and that will end too.
Funny thing is that crime is very low in Vermont.If it wasn't so cold I would move there!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll not get a CCW because that's just one more piece of government paper with my name on it!
The breeze be blowing down the road!
TF
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#28]
give me the permit. first rule in a gun fight is to have a GUN.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good! Strong reactions!

As for whether or not you should actually carry w/o a permit, well, that is a choice you must make for yourself.  I personally would advise against it unless you a) don't have any hang-ups about jail or b) live in Vermont or Idaho.

What I'm trying to say is that when you get a permit, you are acknowledging that it is the government's RIGHT to permit your 2nd Amend PRIVELAGE.  Don't get stuck on whether or not you should get a permit, just recognize what it is you are doing, that's all.
View Quote

Oh, I see. This is another one of those, "I just posted that lie before to wake up you sheeple. Now that I've gotten you all shook up, I'll hip you to my personal wisdom."

I'm well aware of the fact that a license is government permission to do that which would otherwise be illegal. We all wish our states had the Vermont system of concealed carry regulation. In other words, NONE. The simple fact is that CCW laws in this country have been going our way for the last ten years or so, and with the Vermont system as a goal, we've been moving from no CCW at all, to 31 states with "shall issue" CCWs, to...whatever the future holds. My point here is that no one would argue that the current system is perfect. But we're working on it.

The intellectual dishonesty displayed in a "This is what I think" "I don't really think that, I just wanted to see what you all would say" type of post is pretty annoying, and has a "boy who cried wolf" tone about it. Maybe it's just me, but if you have a point to make, I'd prefer that you just make it without playing games. Thanks.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, you could stick to the original arguement. And IF by chance LEO notices, I believe it would be a felony. (if convicted) And then what. You would lose your "right" to own a firearm at all. If there is one available to you, you should get it. If you purchase a new gun, you are on a database somewhere anyway. No one can prove you still possess said firearm, however.

I went to NYC with my girlfriend at the time. She wasnt too cool with carrying in our homestate, but when we got there, she begged me to carry. As much as I wanted to carry, there was no way in hell I was gonna risk the  "rights" that I do have. I am really used to the fact I can legally carry in home state, and fully understood how shitty I felt not being able to. Realized how fortunate I am to be able to do so, legally.

BTW, wouldnt it be more fuel for the anti gunners fire, to be carrying illegally and be discovered? It would look no different than someone who is REALLY up to no good. Just because I know that I carry for self defense, doesn't mean that it looks like that to the outsider.

Just one opinion
Brian
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This attitude is just what the tyrants want, but then again, "why should this response surprise anyone, this one is from NEW YORK the EMPIRE STATE, where SCUM like SHUMER are bred!"
View Quote

Andreusan(troll),

My response is tempered with common sense. Which is more than I can say for a majoity of your posts. I'm sure you are out there breaking laws, doin' the work of a revolutionary patriot when your not "provoking thought" on an internet gun board. Your a keyboard commando of the worst type. Nothing constructive comes from you, just the same drivel day in, day out. If you'd read my post you'd see that I believe the rights of the constitution, and second amendment have been unfairly twisted and set aside by the powers that be. I don't like it and I don't agree with it. But you suggest that my attitude perpetuates the reign of the tyrants I'd really have to disagree there.  
I'm married, got a house, a good job and I like to shoot. Whether you like it or not the country we live in, and states we reside in have laws. So as to not go to court or jail I choose to be compliant with those laws. I'm sure you've been locked up several times fro civil disobedience, illegal weapons possesion, and terroristic activities from the way you talk....Or do you just talk big from behind a computer keyboard. Maybe your just waiting for your big chance to stike a blow for the freedom of the wrongly opressed American people but until I see your name in the news, your just a troll.

And, if you think you can divine my attitude based on my state of residence and from a few post on a computer chat room, you truly are a chimp. Coming from a guy from Florida, where they can't seem get their electorial heads out of their asses.....

All Hail ANDREUSAN COMP-U-PATRIOT!
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Two great reasons for my getting my CCW (CHL here in Texas), drum roll please...

1. First, and the most important, it permitted you to completely bypass the 'Brady Bill' waiting period (remember that?), and now the NCIS background check!

2. Second, the State of Texas requires your thumbprint now on your drivers license.

Since I'd never been fingerprinted, I resisted the urge to get my CHL, even when all my friends had theirs.  But then along came waiting periods, background checks, etc., I jumped on board.

Did I carry before I got my CHL??? Who wants to know?  Of course I did!

Eric The (Gunslinging) Hun
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a CCW here in Indiana because I can.

I meet the criteria as required. I can legally carry a gun and I like that.

Also, when I see a weapon I want, there is no background check or waiting period with it.

See it. Buy it. Take it home...gotta love it.

If I did not have a CCW and was caught with a weapon, or had to use it, I would surely lose the priveledge for life...not a good thing.

I think if you can get one you probably should. And if for some reason you CANT get one...then its your call...

Jay

Link Posted: 4/11/2001 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Andre:
Can it already. I am tired of people discounting the opinions of people from NY (and places like Cali as well)  simply because we are from NY STATE. There are as wide a range of opinions in this state on any issue as there are in your states. I would imagine that every state in this country ( except perhaps the Dakotas) has major metro areas which adversely affect the political climate of that state. NYC happens to be our albatross. That doesn't mean that NY'ers like Sherm or I are wrong in our viewpoints.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Troy:  My deer hunting partner  has his dad from Tulare County join us every season for our annual.  His dad is 80 and has a California CCW.  He carries a loaded .357 Colt 6" revolver.  I think it's just him and Dianne Feinstein in the whole state!
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I got a ccw because I wanted to carry a gun legally. I does you no good if you are caught and thrown in jail with the people you are trying to protect your self from, you won't have a gun in jail. Besides isn't it a felony if you carry conealed without a permit. You might end up forfeiting you right to own a gun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#37]
you guys ever watch one of those cop/lawyer shows like Law and Order where they finda gun punch in the suspects naem and BAM it pops up thats hes got a Pistol permit or something i dont know about u but i dont want to be in a database as a Gunowner and a CCW is the same kinda thing I mean come on why would u have a ccw unless you owned a gun
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't like the idea of having to ask permission to carry, but I did get my CCW because it is the law.

As far as not wanting your name on a list that says you own a gun, you can rest assured that if you ever bought a gun at a gun shop, your name is on a list somewhere--you don't think they really destroy those records do you?

If you belong to the NRA, GOA, or any other RKBA organization, your name is already on that list.

Face it, if the alphabet soup groups want to know, they have ways.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I've got one. No comment.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top