Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2013 9:41:53 AM EDT
Sister in law's boyfriend drives a beatup Chevy blazer. Decided to be a good guy and do a tuneup for him since he has no mechanical ability and no money. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, filter, coolant flush. Get to number 1 plug and decide that he should help and not just watch me.  Gorilla hands shears the plug.  Now it's my parts, my time, my money and my idea....so I'm pulling the head tonight.
Remember-no good dead goes unpunished.

EDIT: It's alive and running.  I'll top off the coolant tonight and replace a couple vacuum lines and deliver back to sil-bf.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea, you done fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#2]
He messed it up. He can pay to fix it.

Can't you use an ez out to pull what's left of the plug?

Oh, and it's a chevy. They can run fine on 7 cylinders.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Things to say while leaving (not like he can get in his truck and chase you down):

"Oh that?  That's an extra cylinder... totally not needed.  "

"Think of how much less gas you'll burn"

"That's not knocking, that's the sound of horse power!"

"Potato"

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Leave it's partner plug in the firing chain out... Instant conversion to V6 or V4 engine.  Think of how much 'greener' the truck is now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can't get the porcelain to break up enough to get an ez-out in there. I buttoned it up and had it running on 5 hoping compression would blow the rest out-no luck.

As far as him fixing it-not gonna happen. And he can't afford to pay anyone to fix it.  Means I'll fix it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
You're a stand-up guy.

Hopefully he will repay you in some way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Youi Sir are obviously a man of integrity and grace. Good on you and good luck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Sister in law boyfriend? Not even close to family. Just drive off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't get the porcelain to break up enough to get an ez-out in there. I buttoned it up and had it running on 5 hoping compression would blow the rest out-no luck.

As far as him fixing it-not gonna happen. And he can't afford to pay anyone to fix it.  Means I'll fix it.

So YOU told him to get involved instead of standing around?  Or HE decided to get in there and then sheared it off?

My response to the situation and your attitude about it hinges on the answer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember doing a free brake job...Isuzu wheel studs breaking off when I'm REMOVING the wheels.

last time I did free.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Things to say while leaving (not like he can get in his truck and chase you down):
"Potato"

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I learned a long time ago, never help someone with car related stuff.

When it comes to car it doesnt matter if they person was a saint before hand; they will turn into class A sonsabitches when it comes to cars.

"My power steering doesnt work now. You have to fix it because you broke it while fixing my car."
"No.... I replaced your air filter."
"You were the last person near it, so obviously you did it."

Or whatever else kinda jackassery people will come up with.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow. The guy can't be too bright; anybody with any sense can tell just by looking at a spark plug that it isn't supposed to have a gazillion ft-lbs of torque applied to it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#14]
OP said "he had no mechanical ability"...  one could presume that the guy he was helping out had ZERO clue that he would break off the plug.

That's why I'm asking if the OP made the guy help, essentially causing himself the issue, or if the guy decided to "help" without being asked and did the damage.

If the first, is it REALLY the other guy's fault, given that he didn't know what he was doing and was pushed into it by the OP?

If the second, then yes, the OP has the right to feel somewhat annoyed as the guy screwed up what should've been a nice thing for him.

This is with all the "never help people for free on car repair" comments not being taken into account.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Op, you knew he doesn't know how to turn a wrench. Why did you make him help?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So YOU told him to get involved instead of standing around?  Or HE decided to get in there and then sheared it off?

My response to the situation and your attitude about it hinges on the answer.

I told him to get in there.  Told him no point in standing around-take that spark plug out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's just a spark plug-nobody can fuck that up-right?

Note that this is upon removal of said plug, not putting one in-and that the boyfriend later told me he and his dad(who is never around) put the plugs in it about 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#18]
hey man, sorry about the shitty situation but just think of it as a good karma investment. Hopefully he will hit you back somehow in the future
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#19]
He snapped it off while trying to REMOVE it? Not his fault, then; the same thing might have very well happened if you had been the one wrenching on it.

But yeah, your original point stands, of course. No good deed goes unpunished.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP said "he had no mechanical ability"...  one could presume that the guy he was helping out had ZERO clue that he would break off the plug.

That's why I'm asking if the OP made the guy help, essentially causing himself the issue, or if the guy decided to "help" without being asked and did the damage.

If the first, is it REALLY the other guy's fault, given that he didn't know what he was doing and was pushed into it by the OP?

If the second, then yes, the OP has the right to feel somewhat annoyed as the guy screwed up what should've been a nice thing for him.

This is with all the "never help people for free on car repair" comments not being taken into account.

I asked him to, however, he later told me that he and his deadbeat dad put these plugs in like 5 years ago. No evidence of any anti-seize being used and who knows about what they torqued them to.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#21]
"I'm going to attempt to do a good deed today, and then bitch about doing it on the Internet"
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#22]
that happened to my dads exploder when i did the plugs

heat, deep creep and some time and it was able to use an ez out
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm kinda getting this feeling, too, OP.

I understand your frustration, but if he knew jack about cars, can you really blame him?

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sister in law boyfriend? Not even close to family. Just drive off.

It's currently in my garage...
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand your frustration, but if he knew jack about cars, can you really blame him?

To take a spark plug out-it's not his fault, I'm not saying it's his fault.  I'm just saying it's a shitty situation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not even sure how he did that.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I've done that twice now. First time, I just broke it all apart, started it up and let the crap blow out. Second time, well I didn't get so lucky and had to pull the head. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I would do everything I could to not have to pull the head.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Well I hope you've learned your lesson.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKIDxSnsTk

That would be awesome if I could get the porcelain out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See if you can break it up with something. Use an air blower to blow it out of the hole. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

this...

plus I would go to http://www.cafepress.com/ and get him a t-shirt and any other items coffee mug etc (every Christmas every birthday from here on out) that says "Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey"
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

long thin cold chisel and a hammer with care
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Hurry up and fix that blazer so you can get to work finding your sis-in-law man.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Tell him you will be right back, you have to go return some video tapes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See if you can break it up with something. Use an air blower to blow it out of the hole. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

I've tried a drill bit, pin punch, cone punch, and flat head screw driver-nothing.  I'm worried about to hard of an impact hitting the threads and making this situation worse.  I've had the intake manifold off on the vortec 4.3 before, so it's not a big deal to pull the head.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tell him you will be right back, you have to go return some video tapes.

Please be kind, rewind.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To take a spark plug out-it's not his fault, I'm not saying it's his fault.  I'm just saying it's a shitty situation.

Understood.  Get him to help you with the extraction, but perhaps in such a way that he doesn't actually touch a wrench to the car.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

here toy go

ETA: not sure if it works will all spark plugs or just the brilliant ford 3 valve design...

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

here toy go

ETA: not sure if it works will all spark plugs or just the brilliant ford 3 valve design...

Yeah-not sure if it's gonna work here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I learned a long time ago, never help someone with car related stuff.

When it comes to car it doesnt matter if they person was a saint before hand; they will turn into class A sonsabitches when it comes to cars.

"My power steering doesnt work now. You have to fix it because you broke it while fixing my car."
"No.... I replaced your air filter."
"You were the last person near it, so obviously you did it."

Or whatever else kinda jackassery people will come up with.

Same reason I don't do computer repair for people anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Dremel tool. grind down the porcelain, start it up to blow the shit out. Bend the original metal to remove, use heat first.  replace using proper grease.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dremel tool. grind down the porcelain, start it up to blow the shit out. Bend the original metal to remove, use heat first.  replace using proper grease.

Can't get to the plug to do that without pulling the head.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Top end is surprisingly clean.  Took 4 cans of carb cleaner to get the intake even resembling something like clean.  Had one head bolt seem a little tight-gonna wait til tonight to try it-It was late, I was tired and I don't wanna break one of those off.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I see your problem.  Your sister-in-law is dating a gorilla.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#46]
You're a good man open.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I see your problem.  Your sister-in-law is dating a gorilla.

Da's racist!

So OP, did you make sure he knew about "Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Op will end up buying a new engine before this is over...
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#49]
kinda goes without saying but make sure all the plugs on other side some out ok before reinstalling the manifold. I feel like deeds like these are just testing you, and you will be rewarded for them somehow in life.  

i felt the same way yesterday, i went to dinner with 92 year old grandma last last night and she asked me to get a coat from the car because she was freezing. well it's raining Volkswagens outside but she has an umbrella.  i walk outside and see this little old lady standing there with a walker staring at the rain and looking out at the parking lot. i think about it for a second and i offer to hold the umbrella for her and walk her to her car.  she obviously couldn't move very fast  and I ended up soaked to the bone.  glad i did it still though
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top