Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 9:46:51 PM EDT
My sister and brother-in-law were up visiting the last week.  After seeing our collection of guns and other gear, they left convinced that "we are anti-social survival nutjobs"
(yup.. that was THEIR term..)

They dropped by last night and left a movie with us.  OBVIOUSLY intended as a joke.

It's entitled "Threads".   It is quite similar to "The Day After", but was done in the UK with a great amount of scientific input to the film's creators.

Well... after watching it, I am now convinced that Goatboy was right.  We NEED TO BUY THAT MISSILE SILO HOME !

Here are some pics from the movie:

[url]http://www.ibp-intl.demon.co.uk/nuke/threads.html[/url]

[img]http://www.btinternet.com/~pdbean/shelter.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.btinternet.com/~pdbean/airbust.jpeg[/img]

[img]http://members.tripod.com/stupid_poo/03b8bb50.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ozones.com/FTP/A-bomb/stokes_plumbbob_stub.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.btinternet.com/~pdbean/plant.jpeg[/img]

Oh yeah... Click Here to send chills up and down your spine:  [url]http://www.g8hqy.btinternet.co.uk/ukwmo/wb600.mp3[/url]

So... Cuddle up by the fire and watch this movie.  It probably gets a 9+ on the Imbroglio Movie Terror Scale.

Hmm..  Bush had better kick some ass SOON so we never get hit by this shit.  I wanna have kids soon and kids and radiation just don't mix. [:X*]

Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What is that animated gif of?

an impromptu shelter?

Yeah I am thinking of a missile silo home too, wonder how big they are......

maybe a group purchase  for a bomb shelter/ extremely private shooting club [:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 1:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember when 'The Day After' came out.  Made quite a stir.  

I sat around and watched it when I was a late hatchling to early teen.  No wonder I'm such an 'anti-social survival nutjob'.

Think I'll rent it again and watch it.  I remember being very impressed with it, but not a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah... Click Here to send chills up and down your spine:
View Quote

Nah, sounds exactly like the tornado warning siren here.  Goes off just like that every Wednesday at 12 noon as a test.

Doubtful a incoming MIRV would allow enough time for anything like that.  The scene at the beginning of Terminator 2 pretty much gets it right.  Alive one minute, dead the next.

Edited to add:

Another fairly good book along these lines is WARDAY.  Describes life in the US after a partial (attacks interrupted after command centers destroyed in first wave of attacks)nuclear strike on the country.

Here is a review of it from Amazon.com

Reviewer: Greg Lynn from Perth, Australia  
I only stumbled upon this great post-apocalyptic novel in my university library quite by accident. Knowing Streiber's later bizarre works on UFOs and alien abductions, I expected in this book another sanguine piece of sensationalistic journalism mixed with half-baked fiction. Not so. Indeed, after reading this novel, it sheds some light on why Streiber described such vivid pictures about the world being destroyed, and also perhaps explains why he developed a religious belief in the existence of intelligent aliens who will save us from our own foolishness (a common SF theme during the Cold War).

The premise of the novel is simple enough-it is a journalistic travelogue compiled by Streiber and Kunetka over a period of five years, as they travel across their wrecked homeland in search of answers as to what happened on 'Warday', when a short and limited nuclear war changed the world forever. Along the way we get some fascinating insights into the political, sociological and economic after-effects of the war. Most amusing is the almost superstitious fear about radioactivity, especially in post-war California, which takes over as the economic and political heart of the U.S., as well as the comical but tragic paranoia about refugees. The authors hold no punches though about showing the horrible aftermath in its detail, ranging from burns, sickness, involuntary euthenasia, starvation, plague, famine, and the other effects which end up claiming 70 million or so American lives in the war's aftermath.

In realism, the novel is quite accurate. The nuclear war is triggered when the U.S. builds a space-based 'star wars' system, which apparently leads Russia to believe its deterrent will be useless. Russia then launches a first strike, destroying the ICBM silos in the Midwest and launching a salvo of 10 megatonne bombs against Washington, New York, and San Antonio. About 70 megatonnes fall on Washington, reducing the city to molten rock and glass, whilst lesser megatonnage falls on New York. Although most of the New York salvo misses, enough damage is done to kill 3 million people and damage the city beyond repair. Russia also detontates a number of 'EMP' bombs over the U.S., destroying most of the electronics and computer systems in the U.S. The President, panicked and bewieldered, launches nuclear counter-strikes of similar force against Russia, and probably also orders the use of biological weapons against the Warsaw Pact (although this is never claimed explicitly). Russia also appears to deploy a biological agent against America, which ends up being simply called the 'Cinncinati Flu' which ironically kills about twice as many people as the nuclear strikes themselves do.

Although the authors vastly over-estimate the likely yield of the Soviet bombs (modern city busters have yields of about 400-750 kilotonnes, deployed in ICBMs with 3-12 warheads apiece) the general effects of the deployed weapons and the aftermath corroborate well with what I know about nuclear weapons and war in general. What is perhaps the most chilling is that a 'limited' nuclear war still effectively ruins and cripples the U.S., reducing it from a premier superpower to a nation with the same might as say, modern Japan or India. The authors are also prescient in their awareness of the damage an 'EMP' burst would do, something of considerable worry in more recent times with nuclear terrorism.

Overall the novel is perhaps the best fictional account of what a nuclear war could do. I would certainly give a copy to anyone who thinks nuclear weaponry is the best means of achieving political aims or of resolving international disputes.
View Quote

Writing a little "lefty", but not bad reading.

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Oh yeah... Click Here to send chills up and down your spine:
View Quote

Nah, sounds exactly like the tornado warning siren here.  Goes off just like that every Wednesday at 12 noon as a test.

Doubtful a incoming MIRV would allow enough time for anything like that.  The scene at the beginning of Terminator 2 pretty much gets it right.  Alive one minute, dead the next.

Edited to add:

Another fairly good book along these lines is WARDAY.  Describes life in the US after a partial (attacks interrupted after command centers destroyed in first wave of attacks)nuclear strike on the country.

Here is a review of it from Amazon.com

Reviewer: Greg Lynn from Perth, Australia  
I only stumbled upon this great post-apocalyptic novel in my university library quite by accident. Knowing Streiber's later bizarre works on UFOs and alien abductions, I expected in this book another sanguine piece of sensationalistic journalism mixed with half-baked fiction. Not so. Indeed, after reading this novel, it sheds some light on why Streiber described such vivid pictures about the world being destroyed, and also perhaps explains why he developed a religious belief in the existence of intelligent aliens who will save us from our own foolishness (a common SF theme during the Cold War).

The premise of the novel is simple enough-it is a journalistic travelogue compiled by Streiber and Kunetka over a period of five years, as they travel across their wrecked homeland in search of answers as to what happened on 'Warday', when a short and limited nuclear war changed the world forever. Along the way we get some fascinating insights into the political, sociological and economic after-effects of the war. Most amusing is the almost superstitious fear about radioactivity, especially in post-war California, which takes over as the economic and political heart of the U.S., as well as the comical but tragic paranoia about refugees. The authors hold no punches though about showing the horrible aftermath in its detail, ranging from burns, sickness, involuntary euthenasia, starvation, plague, famine, and the other effects which end up claiming 70 million or so American lives in the war's aftermath.

In realism, the novel is quite accurate. The nuclear war is triggered when the U.S. builds a space-based 'star wars' system, which apparently leads Russia to believe its deterrent will be useless. Russia then launches a first strike, destroying the ICBM silos in the Midwest and launching a salvo of 10 megatonne bombs against Washington, New York, and San Antonio. About 70 megatonnes fall on Washington, reducing the city to molten rock and glass, whilst lesser megatonnage falls on New York. Although most of the New York salvo misses, enough damage is done to kill 3 million people and damage the city beyond repair. Russia also detontates a number of 'EMP' bombs over the U.S., destroying most of the electronics and computer systems in the U.S. The President, panicked and bewieldered, launches nuclear counter-strikes of similar force against Russia, and probably also orders the use of biological weapons against the Warsaw Pact (although this is never claimed explicitly). Russia also appears to deploy a biological agent against America, which ends up being simply called the 'Cinncinati Flu' which ironically kills about twice as many people as the nuclear strikes themselves do.

Although the authors vastly over-estimate the likely yield of the Soviet bombs (modern city busters have yields of about 400-750 kilotonnes, deployed in ICBMs with 3-12 warheads apiece) the general effects of the deployed weapons and the aftermath corroborate well with what I know about nuclear weapons and war in general. What is perhaps the most chilling is that a 'limited' nuclear war still effectively ruins and cripples the U.S., reducing it from a premier superpower to a nation with the same might as say, modern Japan or India. The authors are also prescient in their awareness of the damage an 'EMP' burst would do, something of considerable worry in more recent times with nuclear terrorism.

Overall the novel is perhaps the best fictional account of what a nuclear war could do. I would certainly give a copy to anyone who thinks nuclear weaponry is the best means of achieving political aims or of resolving international disputes.
View Quote

Writing a little "lefty", but not bad reading.

View Quote

You must live in Oklahoma. I lived in OK City. Didn't take long to get used to the sirens. You can pretty much set your watch when they went off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Did anyone see the Twilight Zone episode where the dude shacks up in his underground bunker?  Turns out an MX missile went off by accident and they bubbled off the entire area.  He's stuck there now.

Who wants to survive post-apocalypse anyway?

Similar, didn't anyone see OmegaMan?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#6]
how do you get a copy..it is only set in british format?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]
RBAD,

If the moive is good are you going to share?

Mike
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My sister and brother-in-law were up visiting the last week.  After seeing our collection of guns and other gear, they left convinced that "we are anti-social survival nutjobs"
(yup.. that was THEIR term.)
View Quote

"Sorry, anti-social survival nut jobs" are incompatible with ( insert appropriate anti liberal remark here ), so we must decline your generous offer to visit in this time of crisis."

A good response when disaster strikes. I used something similar after September 11th, when several frightened "acquaintances" found out Rhode Island had a seven day waiting period...[devil]

Too liberal/stupid to convert, but fun to mess with! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
A couple of years ago they found a guy in Virginia that had gotten locked in his home bomb shelter, he had been there (if I remember right) about 25 years. He just disappeared one day and no one could find him. He was quite dead.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

maybe a group purchase  for a bomb shelter/ extremely private shooting club [:)]
View Quote

check it out!!!
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1771107126]silo[/url]

a bit pricey, but who knows if the AR15.army banded together....
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a movie called 'Panic in Year Zero' that has been being shown on the Encore package on DishTV.  It really shows the need for guns in an apocalyptic scenario.  It's an old movie, but pretty good.  It was made in 1962.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

check it out!!!
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1771107126]silo[/url]

a bit pricey, but who knows if the AR15.army banded together....
View Quote

Yeah I saw that, but it is in NY [:(]  On eis WI or TX or another free state would be good [:D]  don't want another ruby ridge or waco hppening cause you have a rifle they disagree with in that state
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Who wants to survive post-apocalypse anyway?

View Quote

The mutants and zombies [i]alone[/i] will be worth it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://us.imdb.com/Title?0056331[/url]

"Panic in the Year Zero" is a [b]GREAT[/b] pro-gun movie. I don't know if they meant for it to be that way, but it is......

Scott

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did anyone see the Twilight Zone episode where the dude shacks up in his underground bunker?  Turns out an MX missile went off by accident and they bubbled off the entire area.  He's stuck there now.

View Quote

Guy couldn't figure out why the radiation levels wouldn't drop, and the sky stayed dark. [b]GREAT[/b] episode.....

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top