Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 4:16:07 PM EDT
Things had me irritated over the past couple of days, so I decided to go to the range.  

You know what it's like.  Start taking guns out of the safe and you say,  Hmmm.  "Haven't shot that one in a while" by the time your done the truck is dragging the ground.

Anyway,  there I was,  working my way down from largest caliber to smallest, when some guy comes up to visit.  

Not a problem,  he was a personable guy and we talked for a while. Looking over the rack, he points to the M1 and says: " I have one of those too.  I'm customizing it"  Really ? How?

"I'm making it into a tanker" he replies.  Well, I allowed how that was interesting, and how I'd always wanted one myself.  Topics drifted to other things and he shortly packed up and left.

About 2 hours later,  I'm down to the .22 Mag and he drives up again, getting out of his Mazda with a gun case.

He comes straight to the bench and asks if I'd be interested in buying his M1.  Being as he just really does not have the time to do the conversion and he was thinking of picking up one of those Savage tactical rifles in it's place.

Hot Dang!! A gun for sale!  He took it out of the case.

When he said he was turning an M1 into a Tanker,  I just took it for granted he'd shipped the thing off somewhere.

No,  He apparently "customizes" things in his garage.

An attempt to shorten a Garand with a saw is not for the faint hearted. Looks like he kept changing his mind and started three cuts, one at and two behind the gas cylinder. An attempt to remove the gas cylinder and front sight was made with vise grips.(Teeth marks) Gouge marks on the buttstock as well. Rear sight is trashed. (Oughta be a 5 day wait  period for pliers)

I'm a pretty good actor when I need to be. I now own a Winchester receiver with a trashed barrel and gas cylinder, the op rod is also history. (Clamped in a vise, action won't cycle rods bent so bad) for 100 bucks.

Returning it to GI will probably cost just as much as a tanker conversion, and I really want a tanker.

Also, who can I send this to,(somebody here has done this, I just cannot remember who) and how do I keep them from coming after me with a rope when they open the box?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You did good! The reciever alone is worth 3 bills! Try Fulton Armory, 1st class outfit.
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure if they do a tanker conversion or not, but I also give the nod to Fulton Armory.  They took my basket case M1 and turned it into a thing of beauty.  Stop by the house and take a look if you like, or let me know when and where you are going shooting next time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Thank you for saving that rifle.

Try Orion 7. They do excellent work.

[url]www.m1garandrifle.com[/url]

Make sure you leave a note with the rifle explaining how you [b]rescued[/b] the rifle and you should be fine. [:)]

That guy should be given 40 lashes! [>Q]

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You know I have a SA reciever under 1/2 million,1941 reciever with a WRA barrel!  What say a trade then I wind up with a Winchester reciever with a winchester barrel?

my rifle is a step above a CMP rifle,very good looking with goose grease on the gas rod return slide and well can send pictures!  I've seen some new SA barrels but they are selling fast!

Might be easier for me to get a winchester reciever than a SA barrel!

Let me know what you think?

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Smith Enterprise,Inc. does [url=www.smithenterprise.com/m1_garand_service.html#M-1%20GARAND%20TANKER%20CONVERSION]Tanker Conversions[/url].
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
so what did you pay the guy for it?  i can't imagine taking a nice piece of history and thinking somehow i could just use a saw and make it look better..?.  wtf is wrong with some people.  i could see a project sks or 10/22 but a garand?  geez.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, we should know him! He's probably a brother to the guy on here awhile back who wanted to know if he could remove the FS on his M1A with a cutoff saw.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
SWEEEEET!  Atleast she's found herself a nice new home!
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No,  He apparently "customizes" things in his garage.

An attempt to shorten a Garand with a saw is not for the faint hearted. Looks like he kept changing his mind and started three cuts, one at and two behind the gas cylinder. An attempt to remove the gas cylinder and front sight was made with vise grips.(Teeth marks) Gouge marks on the buttstock as well. Rear sight is trashed. (Oughta be a 5 day wait  period for pliers)
View Quote

As a designated gunsmith, I would like to correct your above statements. Those marks you saw were not "change of mind" cuts, but gauging and proof marks. It is common on tactical configuration firearms.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid:
What are 'gauging and proof marks' for?

Yeah, $100 for a WRA, even a trashed one, is a steal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#11]
The scary think is that people that stupid work and live among us everywhere.

Have you ever known anybody turned down for a drivers license because they were so stupid? NO , We all know people who cant even cook a hamburger with out fucking it up and guess what they have drivers license and own guns

Sometime I wish I didn't think so much. Screw it I am going back to bed
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid:
What are 'gauging and proof marks' for?

Yeah, $100 for a WRA, even a trashed one, is a steal.
View Quote

The above was a sarcastic, humorous statement. He is just painting a rosier picture of the carnage that has been inflicted upon this rifle. Kinda like saying Lili is just "re-hydrating" the gulf coast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top