Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2002 8:40:37 PM EDT
If I stare at the monitor and do anything like click my teeth together or clap my hand or even if I am up and about, walking toward the monitor the screen seems to jiggle.  Kinda like when there is a power surge when those black wavy lines go up the screen causing a wavy effect.  The people at work do not see this like I do so I want to know if it is a natural phenomenon or am I going crazy?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
"going"?

naw, you're already there!  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
err.........[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Some monitors (mine included) have a microphone built into them.  My H-P has the mic. just above the screen.  Mine does that also.  It is caused by a weakness in power supply regulation causing these "sound bars".  Of course I could be wrong.  I usually am.
It could also be caused by a microphonic component or a very touchy bad solder joint or cold solder joint.

marsh
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
This probably isn't what it is in your case (clapping your hands?), but certain frequencies cause something in your eyes to vibrate, which makes the screen appear to vibrate.  I noticed this playing tuba.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably your eyes. I know what You are talking about. Try chomping on some ice and watch the screen....
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I stare at the monitor and do anything like click my teeth together or clap my hand or even if I am up and about, walking toward the monitor the screen seems to jiggle.
View Quote

Doesn't this make the most interesting mental picture...?

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you try degaussing?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The people at work do not see this like I do so I want to know if it is a natural phenomenon or am I going crazy?
View Quote

Uh oh, there may not be a 343 post.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#10]
On my trading floor at work, I can see about 20 monitors right now.  I see this all the time, it's prefectly natural, and has to do the the sync frewuency of the monitor vs what your eyes can see.

Don't sweat it, and quit eating the lead from your bullets.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend upping the refresh on your monitors settings. by upping the resolution you may be able to get around the vibration induced in your eyes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I stare at the monitor and do anything like click my teeth together or clap my hand or even if I am up and about, walking toward the monitor the screen seems to jiggle.  Kinda like when there is a power surge when those black wavy lines go up the screen causing a wavy effect.  The people at work do not see this like I do so I want to know if it is a natural phenomenon or am I going crazy?
View Quote

My big ass Sony 22" monitor at home was doing the same thing. I was worried my monitor was starting to go bad. I upped the refresh rate to 100Hz and that seemed to fix the problem. I tried degaussing first but it didn't work.

If it is the same problem I was having then it was most noticable at the edges of the monitor. Made the overall picture a little fuzzy. It was really REALLY annoying.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]

That's a ripple in the Matrix that becomes visible when EMFs are emitted from your monitor and the observer is far enough away to observe it due to the parallax effect.

If you are VERY observant, you can start to see the words "Follow the white rabbit" written on the monitor in the momentary "jitter" of the screen image.

Bottom line: Don't worry, it's just Morpheus trying to get your attention.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#14]
me too! try eating potato chips when youre wearing your tin foil hat

ive also noticed digital clocks do this too but i thought it was because i wore glasses
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Five bucks says it's a brain tumor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
"A star, a star, dancing in the night
With a tail as big as a kite..." [<|:D>]

I know, it's a little early!
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Five bucks says it's a brain tumor.
View Quote

make it ten and your on.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#18]
How long have you been in front of that monitor?......[BD]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Try it with an electric toothbrush in your mouth!
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did you try degaussing?
View Quote

I've tried that myself, and it makes absolutely no difference whether or not you've had a burrito for lunch.

Seriously, I've seen and wondered, decided it had something to do with the scan rate and head (actually eye) movement. It seems similar to the problem you seem when on the TV they are showing a shot of a computer monitor and you get the flicker effect.  That, I'm thinking, has to do with intereference between the multiple scans the image goes through.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Try not looking right at the monitor.  Look at it at from the corner of your eye.  If it flickers then you need to up the refresh rate.

John
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Do I see it?!

Yer damn right I do!  It's the front line of the New World Order!  It is their newest method of mind control and it is transmitted via phased array VLF antenna on the black helicopters.  You need to move your monitor to your hardend shelter, and get a double thickness heavy duty aluminum tin foil hat on RIGHT NOW!
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back when higher refresh rate (svga etc.) monitors were coming on the market, this was actually a technique that techies would use when monitor shopping,  to see if the refresh rate was high enough that it wouldn't bother you.  There is nothing wrong, and the cure, as mentioned, is to raise the refresh rate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top