Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2002 8:25:52 PM EDT
Is this information accurate?? Is there anything wrong with the procedure??

Contributed By: Mr. White

In this day and age everyone on the net is tracked and monitored like sheep on a farm. Cookies are stored on your computer and IP’s are logged leaving digital footprints of your surfing. This information will help you be one step ahead of the trackers.

For the people that don’t know what an IP is, its basically your computers address when you connect to the Internet. When you visit a site your IP is logged showing that you've visited the page. Cable/DSL users have an unchanging IP, which makes them more susceptible to tracking as opposed to a static (changing) 56k dial up user.

How this works is very easy. Basically what your doing is entering in another person or company’s IP that will be pinged (a ping is a signal sent out by PC machines to gather information about its connected user) instead of your IP when you visit sites.

Step 1
Connect to the Internet (as you usually do). Upon connection open up Internet Explorer and click on Tools; then click Internet options.

Step 2
Click on the Connections tab and highlight your connection device (netzero, aol, earthlink, etc). Once you’ve selected how you connect to the Internet click Settings. Another settings box should pop up.

Step 3
In the new menu that popped up you’ll see the Proxy Server box (middle of the box). First click on Use a proxy server. You can now enter an address (IP) and a port. Here is where you’ll put the IP of the other person or company that will get pinged instead of yours. Now you might be asking your self the question, “ Where the hell do I get a list of IP’s and ports?” Luckily the guys over at ***** **** provide a daily updated list of user submitted IP’s and ports. You can view the list by going to ***** ****and clicking on lists. Or you can click this link, which will take you directly there.

Now you just cut and paste the IP and port into your settings box, click ok; and do an environment check (***** ****provides a page that will test your environment). Once you have put the proxy into your settings box (clicked ok) and exited, click on the environment check link. If you get a page listing your stats then the proxy is good. If you get a dead page then the proxy is dead and you’ll have to try another. It may take a few minutes to find a working one, but trust me there are valid ones there.

Note: Proxies can, and usually do die after a while. It may be necessary after a few days to replace your proxy. If when you start up IE to visit your page and nothing seems to load, you have a dead proxy.

I have a dial -up, and would like to surf anonymously some times. Is thisbetter then the Anonymizer(sp?) program???

"Hey, Let's be careful out there."
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are worried about your actions on the net being traced and logged check out the anonymous surfing software (web secure) they have at http://www.freedom.net/products/websecure/

You can subscribe for $60 a year. I use their firewall, prettty good stuff in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya that's one way to do it or got to.
https://www.megaproxy.com
Will do the same as annonimizer. With out the fee and plugin. Also if you happen to be behind a corporate firewall/filtering system. The https will normally pass without filtering.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
- this whole post is for informational purposes only -

That information is pretty rough around the edges. For instance some proxies leak your IP, others don't forward certain services like ports above 1024. Before messing with any of that stuff I suggest a through primer on TCP/IP.

NOTE: Unauthorized use of a non-public proxy is a crime. Many of the proxy servers listed on the page below are non-public

[url]http://www.multiproxy.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
This whole "thing" is a crock of shit.

your MAC address is how you are tracked, and it's BURNED IN to your NIC (network interface card). IP is irrelevant.

There are sophisticated ways to avoid being tracked which I will not discuss- (you nor I have the hours)

Forget it. You are tracked. We are tracked. Get used to it. Live with it. Be responsible.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
test your firewalls and such here:

[url]http://grc.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

your MAC address is how you are tracked, and it's BURNED IN to your NIC (network interface card). IP is irrelevant.

There are sophisticated ways to avoid being tracked which I will not discuss- (you nor I have the hours)

Forget it. You are tracked. We are tracked. Get used to it. Live with it. Be responsible.
View Quote

Kid my mac [b]this week[/b] is DEAD:BEEF [:)]
and good proxies don't leak mac addies.

-live and learn huh?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]
No sir. Though I cannot tell you How I know, I can Tell you I can follow you through your internet travels on a very granular level. It is a requirement of my company, by the government, and we are well able to identify everywhere you go and every translation you make.

Sorry.

You are in a public domain. You are not entitled to any privacy.

Don't be fooled

P.S.

Dead : Beef  is not a mac address- you're hex is a few bit short...
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]

For the people that don’t know what an IP is, its basically your computers address when you connect to the Internet. When you visit a site your IP is logged showing that you've visited the page. Cable/DSL users have an unchanging IP, which makes them more susceptible to tracking as opposed to a static (changing) 56k dial up user.
View Quote

"static" means that your address does not change.  A "dynamic" address (the one most commonly allocated) is an address that changes periodically.  "dynamic" addresses are given to you by a DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) server.  Most dialup users get a different IP address from the DHCP server everytime they dial in.  Most DSL/Cable addresses expire every once in awhile (the exact expiration interval is set by your ISP on the server)

How this works is very easy. Basically what your doing is entering in another person or company’s IP that will be pinged (a ping is a signal sent out by PC machines to gather information about its connected user) instead of your IP when you visit sites.
View Quote

This section just doesn't make any sense at all.......  ping is a network tool that administrators (like me) use to see if a particular machine is responding out on the network.  It's not at all unlike a submarine sending out a ping and recieving a reply.  The only thing a ping would tell someone is if there  is actually a machine out there responding (and how fast it responded)

Step 3
In the new menu that popped up you’ll see the Proxy Server box (middle of the box). First click on Use a proxy server. You can now enter an address (IP) and a port. Here is where you’ll put the IP of the other person or company that will get pinged instead of yours. Now you might be asking your self the question, “ Where the hell do I get a list of IP’s and ports?� Luckily the guys over at ***** **** provide a daily updated list of user submitted IP’s and ports. You can view the list by going to ***** ****and clicking on lists. Or you can click this link, which will take you directly there.
View Quote

be careful when using a proxy server as an anonymiser.  All your traffic will be routed through it and will allow whoever runs it to know everything about where you are going and what you are doing.  I understand that there are reputable services out there that act as anonymisers, but you have to have a certian trust relationship with them.  It looks as if this post is describing using other peoples proxy servers that are left unprotected on the internet.  Keep in mind that there are legal issues with using other people's systems without their permission.  

Hope this was some help.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting, the guy is talking about using a dialup, no NIC.

Does that mean that all of the dialup users (the majority connecting to the 'net) are untraceable??

Besides, ARP (MAC Address) broadcasts don't leave the local subnet,they are not forwarded by any Internet Router, at least none I have ever seen.

-
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
As long as your MAC address is not contained in the TCP packets, I don't see how anyone can get that information. I do know that when you subscribe to cable, they often need a MAC address to get you going. This is why a lot of routers let you clone the MAC address.

Anyway, I heard there are ways to be pretty damn anonymous. Some people use two anonymizer services along with VPN and always pay by money order.

I used to have a security clearance so the feds already have everything on me. I don't really give a crap. :)
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a network bloodhound for a living, and I have to admit that dialups and anonymizers make it sort of hard on you when you are tracking someone, but don't think for a second that any service, ISP, etc. won't roll over and cooperate when the law comes around.  The service providers/anonymizers have no interest in protecting you.  They just want to be able to continue making money.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah, use their list of IPs and ports so that instead of each idividual site you go to logging your access to their page one computer has a log of every page you went to
I wonder how many username/passwords those guys are skimming by directing people to use their list of proxies? (meaning the "random open proxy" they "found" this week is run by them)

another possibility is that their list is done by port scanning and finding computers with open ports. using those computers as a proxy without their permission may be a computer crime since you'd be using their resources. I'm not up on everything that's illegal when it comes to the internet so it may not be
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No sir. Though I cannot tell you How I know, I can Tell you I can follow you through your internet travels on a very granular level. It is a requirement of my company, by the government, and we are well able to identify everywhere you go and every translation you make.

Sorry.

You are in a public domain. You are not entitled to any privacy.

Don't be fooled

P.S.

Dead : Beef  is not a mac address- you're hex is a few bit short...
View Quote

At an ISP level it is a requirement that the feds be able to monitor you. I think that the whole point of this thread is that you leak info to many more people than the feebs. – and yes that mac is an octet short of being a full mac, thus the `[:)]’ please consult your own sig.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice Nic BOFH.  I'm a fan.  Wish I would have thought of that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
BEEFDEAD!
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]MAC address is easily faked[/b], any piece of shit "firewall"/radio shack switch/"router" can do it with ease.

Someone with a little elbow grease can do it with ease, properly.

Those of you whom are worried about caches', history, Temp files, or cookies... you need to re-direct all of those lovely things to a RAM drive. (Power-off and :poof:) Although I'm sure there are people here, whose companies are required by the government to be able to grasp those non-existant entities as well [rolleyes]

Edited to say: LOL BOFH!!! How is the PFY?  [:D]

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]
True about MAC addresses being easily spoofed.  

Most routers do it because your ISP's DHCP server keeps track of your mac address and will not give out more than one IP address (without charging you)  The work around is to set the router to the same MAC address as your network card so that it still looks like your computer is the one talking to them.  It's either that or wait for your DHCP lease to time out (and who knows when that could be)

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How is the PFY?  [:D]
View Quote

He is off somewhere stress testing a [b]l[/b]user's skull. I'm told that they fail quicker than an IBM drive.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess we're beating this one to death.

The moral of the story is spoof IP's/MAC's if you want to.  Don't bother if you don't. Either way there is no true security.  It's a PITA to track you through different network/corporate boundaries, but don't do anything wrong and you won't have to worry about anyone doing it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#22]

He is off somewhere stress testing a [b]l[/b]user's skull. I'm told that they fail quicker than an IBM drive.
View Quote

But nothing fails as quickly as an off the shelf Ultra5
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I guess we're beating this one to death.

The moral of the story is spoof IP's/MAC's if you want to.  Don't bother if you don't. Either way there is no true security.  It's a PITA to track you through different network/corporate boundaries, but don't do anything wrong and you won't have to worry about anyone doing it.
View Quote

For the true paranoid – Hop on one of the free 802.11b networks (no not the one your neighbor is running) and run IPSEC to a public proxy.

If that sounds like Chinese, don’t bother.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

LOL!! Wish I could get mine to run solaris 9. (I think it objects to the third party video card)
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For the true paranoid – Hop on one of the free 802.11b networks (no not the one your neighbor is running) and run IPSEC to a public proxy.

If that sounds like Chinese, don’t bother.  
View Quote

Allow me to translate... Take your laptop to starbucks, and piggy back from there [:D] (If you spam/relay... I'll kill you in your sleep.)

[}:D]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

LOL!! Wish I could get mine to run solaris 9. (I think it objects to the third party video card)
View Quote

At the risk of hijacking the thread further.  It must be your card.  I have Solaris 9 running on a lot of Ultra5's with no trouble at all.  (if you don't count the constant hardware failures)  I've had 10 of them die in the last month.  I have a whole shelf full.  Pisses me off......
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Oh yeah? I've got some OEM Fuji's to sell... 10 bucks a piece. The platters make great clocks to sell at flea markets for the creative IT manager (maybe I should paint some with Jerry Garcia?)...........[;)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#28]

The platters make great clocks to sell at flea markets for the creative IT manager (maybe I should paint some with Jerry Garcia?)...........[;)]
View Quote

I think they make good wind chimes.  They sound sort of musical.

I've started taking the bad drives to the range and shooting at them.  Makes me feel better somehow.......
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Doesn't Starbucks charge for internet access to their 802.11b?

the way to do it would be to find a wireless site w/o any security like WEP or MAC filtering or closed SSID and hop on that. There are a lot of them around if you're in a city. Check the wardriver sites for details.

BTW, "ping" originally stood for "Packet INternet Groper." But that was mostly reverse engineering of the acronym, like "biff". ("Bark If From Found". Don't ask.)
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 3:11:36 AM EDT
[#30]
You can't get Solaris 9 to run on your Ultra?  I've got two Ultra 5s both running 9 without any issues at all.  What errors are you getting?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Shortly after loading the boot image it crashes to an unresponsive shell prompt. No dump, no error, no nada. Tried redownloading the ISO – same deal. (interactive install)

I would say it's the drive or the controller except it boots to a sol 2.6/7/8 cd fine. I had been using debian and a cheapo ATI card for video. When I get the time I'm going to pull the card and low level the drive.

The system is a toy and I really haven't had the time to screw with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Where's the smiley face that rolls its eyes when I need it?  What are they teaching kids today?  Just tell us how someone is going to find your MAC address remotely.  Even if they do, how are they going to match-up the MAC address with your name or address.  It's not like you had to register it when you bought the Ethernet card.z
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

A target host(eg:  www.ar15.com) does not see your host's MAC addr.  What www.ar15.com sees is the requesting IP address - the requesting host could be your IP, the IP pool (NAT/PAT) of the ISP or a proxy server.  Your MAC address will make it no further than the first router your IP packet hits.  Whether that router is on your prem or in the ISP's "cloud" is of no consequence.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top