Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2002 5:46:02 PM EDT
Got my first of the season today. Still pretty green out; hard to see them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
None yet but I'll be in Maine hunting over beautiful English setters from the 8th to the 17th of NOV. I'm really really looking forward to it. I hear its going to be a good year for partridge and woodcock.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
None yet but I'll be in Maine hunting over beautiful English setters from the 8th to the 17th of NOV. I'm really really looking forward to it. I hear its going to be a good year for partridge and woodcock.
View Quote

Wow, sounds like a dream hunt. Have a good time out there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw two grouse, the first time in many years at my cabin, a good sign, the seasons must have been kind to them this year, maybe I will pot a few if I'm lucky. SE Ohio region- God, I miss those birds, they have been scarce for the longest time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Here in MN, the grouse population is at its low population cycle. During peak years, it's not uncommon to flush 30+ birds during a full day of hunting. Now I'm averaging less than 7. Been out twice this year and haven't downed a bird yet. The birds I do get up are rarely seen, only heard. (Foliage still thick). My buddy got one opening morning, and most hunters I run into aren't doing well. I'm a die hard grouse hunter, so I go regardless. It's my favorite time of year, and sitting at home watching football doesn't do it for me. In a few weeks the Fall colors will peak, Ahhh...Heaven on Earth. Hope you Guys have a safe and successful hunting season.

Question: Do you guys in other parts of the Country have grouse population cycles? Or do grouse numbers remain fairly stable without extreme highs and lows? Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
i hunt in northern mn, have only flushed 2 birds and i got one of them.  also saw a bull moose, and found a scrap from a moose.  he tore the tree up.  havn't gotten out in WI yet, i'm trying to get my moneys worth out of the $78 mn nonresident license.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here in MN, the grouse population is at its low population cycle. During peak years, it's not uncommon to flush 30+ birds during a full day of hunting. Now I'm averaging less than 7. Been out twice this year and haven't downed a bird yet. The birds I do get up are rarely seen, only heard. (Foliage still thick). My buddy got one opening morning, and most hunters I run into aren't doing well. I'm a die hard grouse hunter, so I go regardless. It's my favorite time of year, and sitting at home watching football doesn't do it for me. In a few weeks the Fall colors will peak, Ahhh...Heaven on Earth. Hope you Guys have a safe and successful hunting season.

Question: Do you guys in other parts of the Country have grouse population cycles? Or do grouse numbers remain fairly stable without extreme highs and lows? Just curious.
View Quote
My sons will walk for hours and if they see four it has been a good day,I will walk till I just can't do it anymore and if I see two I'm happy, 30 birds, man your in grouse heaven, wish it was like that here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Just rained last night for the first time in months will be out shortly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Numbers are definitely way down this year--about 25-30% of what they were 4 years ago.

However, I've got 12 birds so far, thanks to an excellent English Setter and just plain shooting good this year. Had a stretch last week where I got 10 birds with 12 shells, hitting one with the second shot. I've gotten a couple of doubles and triples! I do love my Benelli by the way. I don't know what I'm doing different but the birds are falling when I squeeze the trigger. Haven't been out much this past week due to rain, rain and more rain but am going out tomorrow no matter what.
When they peaked up here 4 years ago I'd have to say conservatively that my brother, myself and my then 6 month pup(mostly her!) flushed conservatively 40-50 birds opening day. Never seen anything like it before or since. Even the last real peak in the late 60's was not near so good.

You've got to hunt 'em alot to really get them down, I can tell you that much. I swear sometimes I can actually smell them--No shit!
It is the last hobby I've been able to hang on to with professional demands being what they are. I've told all of my employers that if they don't give me time to hunt in the fall then I'm outta here. So far it's worked.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#9]
This AM's tally:

2 shells = 2 birds[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top