Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2002 8:58:57 PM EDT
Since I moved, my new cable provider is horrible.  I'm lucky if I get 100Mbps, and now I find out they block a 1214 port, so I can't do PTP file sharing.

I'm going to call to find if I can get my old cable provider, but I don't think I can.

So I might go back to DSL.  My previous experience with another DSL provider was not very good though.  A lot of outages, and speed varied a lot.  Sometimes very fast, sometimes snail's pace.  They finally went out of business without any notice, at least they didn't charge me for the equipment they never collected...

Anyway, any experiences with the major DSL providers?  I want to know what type of speed I can expect on average, and how much it fluctuates.  Also if you experience many outages.  Any bad experiences with customer service, or hidden costs, (equipment, install, etc.)?  I don't want to sign a year contract in case I'm not happy, is this a problem?

Any pricing info would be appreciated.  

Finally, for those using KAZAA, Morpheus or other file sharing programs, are you having any problems?  Are they also blocking the necessary ports, or otherwise restricting file sharing???  If I can't use these programs, I might as well forget about it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks.

go to [url]http://www.dslreports.com[/url] and read up on your options.

SBC sucks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you in St. Louis - I just got a cable modem installed today (w. Charter), but am still trying to figure out my wireless connection - a Siemens router and card.

I don't really know enough about it to be able to tell you anything about speed, outages, etc - but I have this odd problem where my laptop slows down to a crawl on everything it does - not just web/mail-related.  Still trying to figure that out.  

KaZaa seems to work just fine - just downloaded a song tp check.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have enough time to go into the details of my own SBC DSL_HELL, but 2 months after the order was placed (changeover on an existing DSL line) I gave up.  Called Speakeasy in WA and had a connection 48 hours later, cheaper than SBC, and a LOT easier to work with.

If you'd like details, email me, but I would avoid SBC unless it's absolutely all you've got.

-hanko
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If your having trouble with your current DSL provider, more than likely you'll have problems with any other provider in your area. No matter what they say, the signals travel over the local phone network and the equipment has to be installed in the phone company's local facility.

I happen to have Direct TV Internet DSL, which used to be Telocity--at least in this area. Service is pretty good. However--and this is a big one--I live in what you know as Silicon Valley. This is Pacific Bell territory and PacBell is owned by no other than SBC. THe availability of DSL providers on my edge of town coincided with SBC's ability to provide. Direct TV Internet happened to have the best price that month. I don't have any complaints.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Service ain't gonna get any better with SBC neither. On friday they announed 11,000 layoffs nationwide with and additional 3,000 pac bell employees in kalifornia.

The economy is on an upswing though!
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
SBC sucks!!
The entire existence of the company I work for is to hate "The Baby-Bells" and open up the teleco market to competition and better service and rates for all.

Some of you MO and TX ppl will recognize the doggie. :)
If anyone wants info you can IM me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SBC sucks!!
The entire existence of the company I work for is to hate "The Baby-Bells" and open up the teleco market to competition and better service and rates for all.

Some of you MO and TX ppl will recognize the doggie. :)
If anyone wants info you can IM me.
View Quote

But who's gonna own and be responsible for the phone lines running into homes? More than likely a Baby Bell.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But who's gonna own and be responsible for the phone lines running into homes? More than likely a Baby Bell.
View Quote

The Bells currently own them in a lot of places, but in the 1996 Telecom Act, they are required to open them up to CLECs. until 2013 Then the CLECs will have to run their own facilities. Alot of CLECs do run their own copper/fibre to houses/businesses.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Bells currently own them in a lot of places, but in the 1996 Telecom Act, they are required to open them up to CLECs. until 2013 Then the CLECs will have to run their own facilities. Alot of CLECs do run their own copper/fibre to houses/businesses.
View Quote

Got ya. What's a CLEC?
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#10]
CLEC=Competitive Local Exchange Carrier.
ILEC=Incumbant Local Exchange Carrier.

Places like McCloud, Sage, Birch are CLECs.
The BabyBells, Sprint, WorldCom, ATT are ILECs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks. SBC sucks.

go to [url]http://www.dslreports.com[/url] and read up on your options.

SBC sucks.
View Quote

Ditto!

Finally went with "Cox Digital High Speed Internet".
It is pretty good.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you or can you find out what your download speeds are using Cox HSI?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Last time I checked, SBC has turned up more DSL than anyone else in this country. I just ordered it, I'll let you know how it goes.
I hate the cable company!
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, so it looks like SBC might not be the right answer...

DK-Prof, I used to have Charter, and other than the cost, I have no complaints.  Good speed, and very few outages.  But my new address is not covered, however maybe I'll try them again in the coming months.

I'll look into some of the options you guys provided, hopefully some of them are local.

Bastiat, thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Derek45, yeah, I hate the cable company, but I think I might hate the phone company a bit more.[;)]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm lucky if I get 100Mbps
View Quote

Is that a typo? 100 Megabits per second would be approximately 12.5 Megabytes per second. If that's the case, you have a better connection than 90% of the folks out there, including those with broadband. And you're complaining? Surely that has to be a misprint.

Edit for those wishing to check their speeds check the following site.

[url]dslreports.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, if SBC is the same as SouthWestBell, then I have to add my two cents.  I am quite happy with my SWBell DSL service.  The first month or so it was a bit rocky as I am on the fringes of their acceptable distance.  I am in something called "Project Pronto", which is to serve those not quite close enough to the switching station.
Anyway, after that first month it has been flawless.  About once a week, or 10 days, things slow down and I have to disconnect power to the DSL modem for a few minutes, then reconnect (presumably to a different server).  No big deal.
Speed, don't know the numbers, but it is fast.
Fast enough to allow me to work from home when I want to using a Managed Tunnel System.

DanM
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm lucky if I get 100Mbps
View Quote

Is that a typo? 100 Megabits per second would be approximately 12.5 Megabytes per second. If that's the case, you have a better connection than 90% of the folks out there, including those with broadband. And you're complaining? Surely that has to be a misprint.

Edit for those wishing to check their speeds check the following site.

[url]dslreports.com[/url]
View Quote

Ok, I think I meant 100Kbps.  I think that's right, either way it's slower than any of the other providers I've used, except back in the days with AOL dialup.[rolleyes]

Sorry, I'm not an expert on these things, all I can understand is FAST and SLOW.  And this ain't FAST!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
That sounds more reasonable. Most providers nowadays provided tiered service plans with DSL, wireless and cable service (256Kbps/512Kbps/756Kbps/1Mbps, etc. with 256Kbps being the entry level and cheapest package.)

I hear many folks who were early broadband adopters complaining because their providers initially gave them 1.5Mbps or 3Mbps service and as more folks got on the broadband bandwagon, their providers cut them down to 756Kbps or even less.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
So I've been looking around at the website Bastiat provided, and a couple of the providers that look promising are DirectTV DSL and Earthlink.  

Any feedback on these two?

Also, if I call them, how can I ask them descreetly, if I will be able to use PTP file sharing programs?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, Earthlink is a no go to my phone number.

I looked into Speakeasy, but they were pretty pricy, with a big equipment and install fee, and only offered 144/144 IDSL, whatever that means.

Another question, what's the benefit of a 'static' IP?
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, Earthlink is a no go to my phone number.

I looked into Speakeasy, but they were pretty pricy, with a big equipment and install fee, and only offered 144/144 IDSL, whatever that means.

Another question, what's the benefit of a 'static' IP?
View Quote

IDSL == ISDN Digital Subscriber Line. It's essentially an ISDN line where the 2x64K data channels and the 16K signalling channel are bonded together to provide a single channel that is 144Kbaud wide for both upload and download.  It's a less-capable alternative to DSL in some areas where normal DSL isn't available.

A static IP just means that you always have the same network address when you're connected to the Internet, so it's possible to have your own dedicated machine name on the internet.  You want it if you plan on leaving your machine connected all the time so you can run your own mail or web server.  If you just want to be able to surf the 'net faster than over dialup you don't need it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How do you or can you find out what your download speeds are using Cox HSI?

BigDozer66
View Quote

Think you can do a speed test at speedguide.net

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Another question for the DirectTV DSL users.

How long did it take to get you up and running?
Their website claims that it can take 30-40 days to determine availability, and 4-6 weeks for delivery of the gateway.  Sounds like an eternity...
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Last time I checked, SBC has turned up more DSL than anyone else in this country. I just ordered it, I'll let you know how it goes.
I hate the cable company!
View Quote

Well I got my SBC YAHOO DSL running today.
It's about the same speed as my cable was at my old house, 768, and it's cheaper.
So far I'm happy with it.
It was painless and quick to get turned up and installed.
[b]At this point, I'd recommend it.[/b]
[:)]
Now I need a dish for my TV.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#25]
DSL is okay as you have your own line no sharing bandwith as with cable!  But its not as fast(here anyway) but it is consistant,but way much faster than MNW or AOL.

Bob  [:D}
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top