Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2002 2:34:55 PM EDT
OK, Raiders are playing now but I can't watch because it wasn't a sellout.  As usual.  So does this mean I'm willing to pay a hundred bucks to go see a game?  No, it means I care less and less every year.

The rule obviously doesn't work toward putting fans asses in the seats, as the games are still not sold out.  It seems to me the NFL would benefit more from

A) earning TV advertising revenue by showing a game in the area where people might be intrested in watching.

B)  lowering ticket prices so I may care enough to show up and watch a game.  Will most likely spend a bunch on food and maybe a t-shirt while I'm there.  At about thirty bucks I might bite, as the total day would be around sixty-seventy after food, transportation, and doodads.  I just don't care a hundred bucks worth as any decent seat is at least sixty bucks now.  Hell, I got guns to buy.

C)  Televising the games so that fans may get interested in the team and care enough to go to a game.  Works for baseball.  Of course it only works when teams win, but if the team is losing and not televised, the fan might not come back next year at all.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn $100? is this one ticket, or a couple and the cost of the whole deal?...
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be about the cost for me to go with ticket, transportation, and food with a decent seat.  Ticket prices are 50-90 bucks each depending upon location.  

Not even sure if I could do that anymore now that they are only selling ticket "packages" if you don't have a PSL.  The marketing team is doing everything it can to keep from selling out games.

Ugh.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Even more baffling is when the game is sold-out, and it is still blacked-out!  I can remember that happening to the Panthers several times.  The league was rules about when/how it can sell-out, and if they aren't met, even though the game is sold-out, then the game is still blacked-out.  I once asked Mark Richardson, their GM, about this, and he said those rules were dictated by the TV contracts.  Sounds like he's just passing the blame...z
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched the game on TV [;D]  It needs to be abolished.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The NFL does'nt even follow it's own rules !!!   They have a 75 mile radius from the stadium as the blackout zone. Tucson is 90 to 100 miles from the stadium but they include us in their area.
I hate the cardinals yet the local station MUST carry all away cardinal games because they say we are in the zone. At least we don't have to watch them when they are home, they never sell out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top